Computers & Hardware > Android & other hand held devices

Android, 'Not registered on network'

(1/2) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Another issue with my new Samsung  Galaxy Fame, Android 4.1.2...

I've noticed, when I am out and about and try to make a call, quite often  I get 'Not registered on network', despite the status display looking perfectly normal with reasonable(/full) signal strength and an appropriate 2g/3g data symbol.   It is fixable by ploughing through settings->more settings->Mobile networks->Network Operators and then choosing either 'Automatic' or 'Vodafone'.  It then whirls an icon for a minute or so and reconnects, and works fine.  But by that time, of course, the moment has passed for making the call I wanted to make. :(

So the Android is back to being a bit useless again.   >:(  Any suggestions?

PS: It could conceivably be a Vodafone network problem but I'm reluctant to make that assumption as the onset coincided with buying the Android, has persisted for the few weeks I've owned the Android, and the same SIM worked flawlessly in previous phones.

Ronski:
I think a lot of your problems stem from the phone, not Android. There are phones with good reception, and then there are phones with bad reception.

Edit. My friends got a fame and she can't wait to get rid of it, it's a low end phone.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Ronski on February 26, 2014, 10:22:55 AM ---I think a lot of your problems stem from the phone, not Android. There are phones with good reception, and then there are phones with bad reception.

Edit. My friends got a fame and she can't wait to get rid of it, it's a low end phone.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't really add up as, after I force it to reconnect, it shows good or full signal strength.    It's as if, when connection is lost, as can happen on any phone, Android lacks the logic to detect and correct by ( I assume) polling to see when reconnection is possible.

See the following discussion that I have found, most likely the same issue, that seems to date back to 2009 and affect multiple network operators.   I'll be exlporing the suggestion in that thread, and other forums, of setting '2G' only for data, to see if it fixes the problem.   No good as a permanent solution of course, as I want it to switch automatically between 2G and 3G.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2845

Sudden theory occurs... Lots of people on lots of forums support the idea that 2G/3G switching causes this problem.   I wonder if the Android 'network selection' logic might be prioritising a network that has 3G over one that does not, without checking that the 3G network is valid for registration... :-\

kitz:
I'm afraid I can't say I've had the  same problem, but that's no comfort to you when you have an item that doesn't work how it should.

Before reading your second post, I started on a google hunt myself, because I know its disappointing when you have a new toy that feels a bit of a let down.

I stumbled across a thread whereby the common denominator seemed to be samsung and vodafone.   I can't paste the relavant bits, but it would appear that the outcome wasn't sure if it was samsung or a vodafone fault, but it was as you summised, a problem between switching between the technology on some phones on the voda network.   Since you found a thread where a htc is affected, I guess that counts out samsung.   

The only difference is that in that thread it was 3G to 4g.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S4/Not-Registered-on-Network/td-p/1575230/page/2

kitz:
I wanted to paste the link before continuing, because I usually lose the whole post if I paste anything into a long post,  but I think you are correct in assuming that there is an issue with auto switching between the network types.   For some reason it doesn't appear to affect all phones, but as this had also happened in the past with 2g/3G and now people are complaining between the issue switching 3G/4g, there is an obvious issue somewhere that should be known about,  but no one seems to have got to the bottom for a silt ion yet.

All I can suggest is an app that allows you to switch easily between the different network technologies.   I think I may have recommended power toggles to you in the past.   This used to have a 3G switching mode.  I've just had a quick look on mine and it has a4g switching mode.

Sorry it's not a full solution, but it may help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version