Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WIRING PROBLEM  (Read 2211 times)

boe323

WIRING PROBLEM
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »

Hi ...my pc was reporting reverse polarity ....so I got the multimeter out ...put the -48 on B and 0v on A ....but after putting the vdsl faceplate on ....the A terminal is -48 and B is 0v, ...so ive had to reverse those wires aswell, don't make sense lol. Shouldn't the vdsl faceplate B terminal be -48? ....the same as the main socket B terminal?. Could use some help here guys. I want to wire it correctly ...and the correct way says white/blue stripe to A ....blue/white stripe to B ...but I end up with reverse polarity lol. Since doing this my snr is all over the place ....and attainable sync is lower on the download side ....I want normal polarity but with the correct wires to the idc ...because there twisted pairs ....I read the wrong way can affect snr? Is my vdsl faceplate swapping the polarity ? ....is it broke ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:45:30 PM by boe323 »

boe323

Re: WIRING PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »

Never mind  ...I solved the issue ....the vdsl faceplate is indeed reversing the polarity ...so I just put back everything as it was and swapped the connections over in my data socket extension

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:35:47 AM »

I'm glad to read that you have found an adequate solution.  :)

The actual polarity is not significant but it is important that consistency is maintained with the wiring between each of the sockets.  :graduate:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boe323

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »

have a feeling its the main connections in the master socket ...possibly they are labelled wrong being as though its an old screw type A/B terminal which I put in after BT had wired everything up ...those IDC connection are very poor for high speed data ....shouldn't really be using them for vdsl ...after I replaced it for the screw type I gained 15meg in sync ...but obviously somewhere between when that one was made and the new ones where made the terminals must of been swapped lol ... if I run the power to B then the vdsl faceplates B terminal becomes 0v lol ....anyway ...solved it ...all wired correct ...just swapped them round at the very end so at least the power is running through the correct wire on the twisted pair ...snr is stable and got sync speed back with extra upload. :)

anything