Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SSD failure rate  (Read 17280 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SSD failure rate
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

Ack.  And now I've only just seen ronskis link (caching?),  I'd seen the earlier one for 120gb, but too late the deed is done I'm afraid, and the samsung has a bit more capacity.   It's going to be a while before I'm up and running again as I'm out the next few days with appts and college, so realised the earliest I could take delivery is fri.

Thanks muchly, for everyone's help.   I did write a reply earlier up in the thread which was lost, so I'll try summarise that now.

@echo...  Hi and welcome to the forums, thanks for your link.  It would seem that toshiba may honour the vertex4 warranties.  I've since submitted a rma firm with all the details, but now have to wait for them to review it.

@berrik..  You were correct at scans response.

@ronski.. The windows licensing query was re if I transferred the license to a temp drive, then soon after put it again on a new drive, I was concerned if I may be pushing it by in effect using the same licence on 3 different drives in a relatively short time .. and if that may trigger a phone call being needed.

@7Lm....   I think the councils have lost the plot, either that or it's an attack on motorists..  Bleeding stupid is all I can say.. 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:43:38 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »

Sorry to here about your HD issue and not to many months ago you had problems with Nvida driver it never rains it pours and fingers crossed things don't happen in three's.

I would serously think of setting up your PC into Dual Boot mode using two indivdual Hard Drives for each OS and you can use your old OEM OS and buy a cheap Windows 8 or even the linux varients, it's like having two PC's in one box unless the MotherBoard gives up then your screwed  :o apart from that backup monthly if you can to a seperate HD if you can !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »

Cheers newtron, not quite sure if I follow what you mean though, sorry.

I intend putting win7 pro back on when I get the new SDD.  So are you perhaps suggesting that I dual boot with Linux, and what drive would I install linux on would that also be the SSD or another drive?

I have (had) 3 drives in the pc.   
- The SSD is the system drive c:
- 1TB HDD which is split 500/500.  D: keeps my files, music, photos, website.  E backups up vital stuff from C: such as my docs, desktop and a few vital config files
- 2nd TB HDD split 500/500 .  F: mirror of d:   G mirror of e:

NAS which holds a ghost backup of c:  and yet another copy of d: which is done uumm when I remember, but not so often since I put the mirror drive in.

Oops reread...  Get another drive and put linux on that, leaving 2 totally separate system drives..

Will have to look at the mobo again as I think I used the last sata port when I installed the third drive.  I think there's 5 usable in total, 2 used by the cd/DVDs, one by something in the case for front USB and card reader... then I also have a hot swap drive bay which takes one, but I think I 'borrowed' that when installing the 2nd Tb drive.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »

A quick update .

Looks like toshiba may agree to rma the vortex4, as it looks like I may have a rma number.
Unfortunately I can't read what it says though from the ipad

Code: [Select]
This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program..

-----

The new samsung SSD should be here tomorrow.   Which is rather unfortunate because I paid 3.99 for it to arrive on a specific day knowing full well I would be out all day tomorrow and not getting back till late. :(.   
Oh well no tracking, so it looks like Royal Mail, who if they can't deliver will hopefully retain it so I can pick up from the post office on Friday  :-\
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »

may have a rma number.
Unfortunately I can't read what it says though from the ipad

Code: [Select]
This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program..

How Horrible.  :o

I check mail almost exclusively with an iPad and it works well, have never seen that one.  Yet a quick search suggests it is a very common problem, dating back to several iOS versions ago, and in my searching I didn't spot any credible theories as to cause or avoidance  :'(

Anyway, good luck with the new SSD.   Its a technology I'm tempted to try myself sometime soon.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »

I have (had) 3 drives in the pc.   
- The SSD is the system drive c:
- 1TB HDD which is split 500/500.  D: keeps my files, music, photos, website.  E backups up vital stuff from C: such as my docs, desktop and a few vital config files
- 2nd TB HDD split 500/500 .  F: mirror of d:   G mirror of e:

Oops reread...  Get another drive and put linux on that, leaving 2 totally separate system drives..

I don't think you need another physical HD when looking at your storage specs, your well protected by data loss, if you have enough space on either of the two HDD's say 80 GB you could set up a system Boot Partition for a second OS incase the primary SSD drive fails in the future.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:26 PM »

Got the new SDD.  It took me all of 5 mins to put it in the case and no joke, 10 mins to install Win7 64bit start to finish.
New disk boots in <4 seconds...  but Im now stuck at the stage of doing a zillion updates...  then the dreaded task of installing everything again.

Ive decided to abandon my Ghost copy and do a clean install due to all the messing with drivers around xmas. 

>>>  your well protected by data loss,

This was something discussed a while ago when irrc it was 7LM that brought up the subject elsewhere and I got a bit paranoid.
Besides all the disks, I also have a copy of c:/ ghosted and  D:/ mirrored on the NAS and a copy on an old disk that resides elsewhere as offsite for things like photos and website. 

Just realised my downfall was how the complete loss of the system drive took me offline totally. 
I do have 6 sata ports, only 5 usable as one is taken by the case for the integrated card reader/USB front.   If I can get some sort of PCI adapter to add a few more ports, then I could I suppose use the RMA'd SDD (if I get one back) to install linux.

Im also not too impressed today with my NAS.  Ive had this issue before.... it works fine as a network drive, but as soon as I install a new OS, it refuses to be seen on the network (linux).   I just wasted a joyful hour trying to access it, before deciding not to bother.  :(
I also realised why I usually turn it off..   the PC is whisper quiet..  whilst the NAS box isnt, the fan is driving me nuts  :(

Anyhows lots and lots to install yet before Im back to normal.  :)

-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »

Glad it's all working, having FTTC does make a lot of difference to the time it takes to update as well, but still time consuming.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »

I've had two OCZ SSD's die on me in the course of at least one year.

First one died after around 5 months. No early warnings, computer suddenly froze so rebooted only to find the BIOS no longer picking it up (tried a number of ideas but determined the drive to be dead). I put in a warranty claim and sent it back to OCZ, fairly fast process as I recall. They obviously concluded that it was dead and sent me back a replacement. I put in the replacement and found that I was unable to format it. Back that one went too, this time I was contacted to receive an apology and that I would be sent a higher series as a gesture. Received that and obviously that's been fine ever since.

I also now use a Samsung SSD, the Pro version of their options available however. Had it for quite a while and no problems at all.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 01:15:47 AM »

Just realised my downfall was how the complete loss of the system drive took me offline totally. 

Well that's it in a nutshell, even with all the backups on drives if you have only one primary OS installed and it fails or gets corrupted your offline untill it's fixed (full system install) yet if you have a secondary OS on a different drive you can boot into that and do the online stuff & fix the primary OS at your leisure  :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »

Alternatively, if all you want is to restore web access etc in an emergency, you could probably just boot from one of the Linux 'live CDs'.

I have never used one as I prefer to install my own Linux boxes by other means but AFAIK (and I know there several people who will set me straight if I'm talking twaddle  :D) these live CDs operate on a ramdisk and so should run without an hdd.

You could even set it up to boot a live CD (image thereof) system from USB, but be prepared for a very long wait.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »

Yes, 7LM is quite correct. Something like this: http://linuxmint.com/download.php (I suggest the XFCE version) will boot directly to a working system with no configuration being necessary. It's a bit slow to start up and to launch programs, because everything is being read from the CD, but apart from that it functions just like an installed system.
  Eric

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »

Dont forget some Mobo manufactures also have an option in the bios so you can boot and access the internet
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

On the issue of emergency access I have been pleased with Puppy linux (slacko has been good).  I have that on a usb.  It loads fully to memory and runs fast and with enough features to do a fair bit.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »

There is another way and it's the best, once you have your PC up and running with all the programs installed and updates use the free DriveImage XML, make an image of the OS and store it on one of your many HD's make sure when restoring the Image you use the same Drive letter as the Image, so 4 days worth of re-installing and updates can be done in less than 1 hour with a HD Image  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything