Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HG612 3B unlock help please  (Read 12935 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HG612 3B unlock help please
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »

What did you have to do to clear the wireless problem?  Restarting the phone got it all working again.

Very possibly your issue is different from mine. In my case, ALL remote devices lost their communication, although the network connections still showed as good. The only way to regain the communication was to change the firmware.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

What did you have to do to clear the wireless problem?  Restarting the phone got it all working again.

Very possibly your issue is different from mine. In my case, ALL remote devices lost their communication, although the network connections still showed as good. The only way to regain the communication was to change the firmware.

It happened again overnight, restarting the phone fixed it once more.  I haven't been able to try using the TalkTalk HG533 as the wireless access point yet (this used to work without problem) as I've not enough 12 Volt 1amp DC mains adaptors to go around, unless I cannibalise a PC PSU for the time being...  Hmm perhaps I'll nip up the shed later  ;D

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »

Since I'm quite new to this, how do these look?  My amateur newbie impression is that they're pretty good, though the gaps are slightly puzzling.  What does the team think?

Thanks,

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »

I wish mine was as clean as that. The gaps in the bitloading are quite normal, and often relate to MW radio stations or other known phenomena.

The gap at tone 110 is normal on TalkTalk (it's a pilot tone or something similar)
The gap at tone 188 looks like Radio Scotland on 810 kHz

... and so on. There's a good interactive reference to MW stations at http://www.mediumwaveradio.com/uk.php
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »

I wish mine was as clean as that. The gaps in the bitloading are quite normal, and often relate to MW radio stations or other known phenomena.

The gap at tone 110 is normal on TalkTalk (it's a pilot tone or something similar)
The gap at tone 188 looks like Radio Scotland on 810 kHz

... and so on. There's a good interactive reference to MW stations at http://www.mediumwaveradio.com/uk.php

I did wonder if it was MW radio interfering, however, having just tuned my radio to 810kHz, there's nothing there, not even static - just MW hiss.  (I'm definitely at the wrong end of the country for Radio Scotland!)

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through that and compare the gaps/listen on my radio.

For the first time, I'm almost looking forward to my regular Sunday evening of REIN issue coming up, so I can see what it does to the graphs  :lol:

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

I have just noticed that you mentioned you intend to use it on an ADSL2+ line.

In which case, I would recommend using Asbokid's firmware for now as we aren't yet 100% sure as to whether it will be remotely updated by BT or not when used on ADSL connections.

The updated firmware versions are possibly more VDSL2 specific.

Do you intend to use it as a modem only?
If so, its default configuration will be fine after installing Asbokid's firmware version.

If you intend using as a modem/router, I believe the instructions are located on the kitz main site (or others will be able to advise accordingly).

Just revisiting this; this afternoon I tried (and failed) to get it to work with my TalkTalk HG533.  But that's for another day and another thread (possibly).

As part of this, I decided to take your advice, and I flashed it with the earlier Asbo firmware, instead of the experimental one.  The Experminetal version had worked fine for me, as indeed is Asbo's so far.

But I've noticed a curious difference in regard to the output from DSLStats.

First attachment is the QLN plot from the experimental firmware.  This is very typical of all the QLN plots I'd had so far after every reboot, they varied very little indeed.

2nd attachment is QLN plot from Asbo's firmware.  If you download the images and flick between them, there's quite a difference.

(Question is - which one is "better"?  ;D

Then there's the way the two firmwares are reporting SNR per tone.

Third attachment is the bitloading/SNR plot from the experimental firmware

Fourth attachment is the bitloading/SNR plot from Asbo's firmware.

To me, this seems to be a change in the way the SNR is reported, (or a bugfix?) rather than an improvement/decrease in performance.

Again, I'd be very interested in comments and thoughts on all this.

Thanks

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

Wireless problem

Brief recap :

Originally, modem/router/wifi all provided by TalkTalk HG533.  Have not had wireless problems with this, my mobile phone would stream audio/video/iplayer etc for hours, no connection problems. 

Set up the BT HG612, using a TP Link TD-W8961ND in bridge mode as a wireless access device.  Note that the BT HG612 was configured to use ADSL2+, and to provide modem and routing functions.  I find that although the phone connects to the TPlink, and works for some hours, overnight the link "dies" - there is still a strong signal reported by the phone, but no data flows.  Restarting the phone clears this.  This happened several days in a row.

Yesterday I found that the phone still had a working connection in the morning, but it stopped working a few hours later.

I then configured the TalkTalk HG533 as the wireless access point, again in bridge mode.  The BT HG612 still provides modem and routing functions.  I was initially pleased with this setup, the wireless access seemed faster.

This morning I find the same problem - phone reporting strong wifi signal but no data will flow.  Reboot of phone clears it.

On the BT HG612 I'm currently running Asbo's firmware, though originally I had Wolfy's and I think I saw the same problem with that too, though I may switch back to it to confirm.

Any thoughts what might be going on?

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »

Sorry, I have no idea.  :no:  It is quite puzzling.

(In parenthesis, I will say that I am pleased to see that the sheddycam is back online and it is, once again, providing me with a daily view of the sheddygarden!  ;)  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »

Wireless recap :

BT HG612 providing modem and router functions, TalkTalk HG533 providing wireless access.

Overnight, phone would lose ability to communicate wirelessly, but signal remained strong.  Restarting phone would clear this.  Previously no problems when TalkTalk HG533 used on it's own as modem/router and wireless access point. 

2 days ago I reflashed the HG612 with the Wolfy firmware, and since then the phone has had no problems accessing the wireless.

How odd.

Especially as this is the original firmware I'd put on the HG612, and I later switched to Asbo's.  Yet I recall having this problem almost from the start, with Wolfy's firmware. 

Still, at the moment it's working, and I'm happy about that.

(Just slightly annoyed that the upnp doesn't seem to be working!)  ::)

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »

I've had 9 days of phone working fine via wireless bridge to HG612, this morning I found for the first time that it had lost connection overnight.  A reboot cleared it.

I suppose that's not too bad, but puzzling.

Yesterday I was considering reflashing the HG612 with the Asbo firmware to see if it re-enabled the uPNP that doesn't seem to work at present.  I was strongly going to do it, then decided not to, simply because the wireless had been so reliable with this firmware!

Also I bought home that Home Hub 3 that I paid a pound for.

I think my HG612 can read my mind, or is jealous or something!  :D

Ian

Pages: 1 [2]

anything