Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 3B unlock help please  (Read 12936 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
HG612 3B unlock help please
« on: February 21, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

I've finally got myself an HG612, version 3B.  The sticker on it indicates it's running firmware V100R001C01B028SP10.

I've been looking through Kitz forum, and also at Asbo's guide to flashing it with unlocked formware, but am uncertain.  ???

I'm ok with the whoole flashing procedure, but given that this is a 3B model, and that Asbo's instructions and firmware are from 2011, should I be looking for more up to date firmware to flash it with?  If so, from where?

I intend to use it on an ADSL2+ line, which is fairly short (0.5Km at a guess) but suffers from occasional hour long bursts of REIN from an errant but still unlocated neighbour (in case this information is of any use in deciding what version I should be using).  I want to be able to monitor line conditions, tone allocations etc.

My 3B has a sticker over LAN2 and USB sockets that say "not in use"

Many thanks for any input

Ian

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 3B unlock help please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »

The latest modified firmware is located here.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.msg247661#msg247661

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »

And just to confirm, the method of installing these firmwares is the same as described in Asbo's blog.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »

Thank you Ronski and Roseway, I was busy reading through that long thread and trying to decide which firmware I should try out.

Am I right in thinking that whichever of the firmware options I chose to go with (Asbo's older one, or one of Wolfy's) they would all be ok on my Huawei HG612 3B?  I don't want to brick it before I've had chance to connect it up to anything :)

Ian

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

Yes they will be OK for the Hg612 3B.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »

They will all be O.K, but I would recommend using Wolfy's unlockedgui version from the experimental area:-

https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w

Asbokid's original version will be remotely updated by BT after a few days, but you will lose access to the modem's own GUI. Hence my recommendation to use Wolfy's unlockedgui version.

Saying that, I am currently using Asbokid's version that I allowed BT to update remotely as we can still use Eric's or my stats programs without access to the modem's own GUI.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:39:53 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »

I have just noticed that you mentioned you intend to use it on an ADSL2+ line.

In which case, I would recommend using Asbokid's firmware for now as we aren't yet 100% sure as to whether it will be remotely updated by BT or not when used on ADSL connections.

The updated firmware versions are possibly more VDSL2 specific.

Do you intend to use it as a modem only?
If so, its default configuration will be fine after installing Asbokid's firmware version.

If you intend using as a modem/router, I believe the instructions are located on the kitz main site (or others will be able to advise accordingly).

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »

Thanks for info, flashed it with no problems.  Having read through the 15 page discussion, I decided to go with the "experimental" latest version with GUI, which is working so far.

I connected a static ip PC to LAN2 and flashed as per Asbo's instructions. 

Having plugged it all into the line, I currently only have 1 cable to LAN1 going to some cascaded network switches from which everything else connects.  I expected, from reading the discussions, that I'd additionally need something into LAN2 to be able to access the GUI or the telnet interface or something?  But I am able to access the GUI and telnet in successfully using only LAN1.  I can also access the internet from this port - this post is proof of that!

So unless that's a problem, I'm happy to not need to run 2 ethernet cables from it, as it would be tricky.

So far so good, except - am I right in thinking that whilst it has DHCP, there is no option to reserve addresses for certain devices, by means of their MAC address?

I've stuck with DHCP, and on previous modems given myself a few "static" ips by reserving their addresses and tying them to the device mac address, ie my web server.  I found this convenient as I then have a central location where I can see all dynamic and reserved addreses, and change them easily without having to connect to each individual device and reconfigure a static ip.  ;)

But I can't see a place in the GUI to do this on the HG612  :'(

Brief line stats : basically the same as with the HG533 I disconnected, tho line attenuation is being reported as 2db lower, but line speed is identical within margin of error (old 19962 vs new 19885 DOWN, and both 1020 up)

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »

I have just noticed that you mentioned you intend to use it on an ADSL2+ line.

In which case, I would recommend using Asbokid's firmware for now as we aren't yet 100% sure as to whether it will be remotely updated by BT or not when used on ADSL connections.

The updated firmware versions are possibly more VDSL2 specific.

Do you intend to use it as a modem only?
If so, its default configuration will be fine after installing Asbokid's firmware version.

If you intend using as a modem/router, I believe the instructions are located on the kitz main site (or others will be able to advise accordingly).

I'll see how this goes on my ADSl2+ now that I've flashed it, as it's working so far  ;D

Currently it's working as modem/router, and I did indeed read through the Kitz Wiki as a guide to configure it, and copied a few other settings from my old HG522 (some port mappings for my near-derelict shedcam, for example).

But, I may wish to go back to modem only use, as I've lost wifi.

If I do so, I'ma little confused about which device will be providing what function.

NAT?
Port mapping (eg web server)
DHCP
ip address reservation?

Which of these would be configured on the TalkTalk HG533 and which on my new Openreach HG612 running in modem mode? 

By default, won't both devices end up with an ip address of 192.168.1.1 ?

I have many questions  ???  Is there a handy primer that will talk me through this, or will it all just work?

Thanks

Ian

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »

Sorry, I have no experience of using it as a modem/router, but other frequent visitors to this forum have.
I'm sure they will be more than willing to advise in due course.

Running as a modem only, it simply works as a bridge, so I think all the 'fancy' settings will need to be configured via the router.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:32:28 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »

Hi Ian,

NAT?
Port mapping (eg web server)
DHCP
ip address reservation?

All of these will be provided by the router. In this case, the Huawei HG533.

By default, won't both devices end up with an ip address of 192.168.1.1 ?

That is correct. However, the modem's IP address is essentially discounted as your LAN essentially starts from your router. The modem simply acts as a connection between the router and the exchange. The router doesn't actually use your modem's IP address to connect to the internet, so it doesn't make any difference that they are the same ;).

I hope this is of assistance to you and makes sense.

Yours sincerely,
Alec.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:55:51 PM by AlecR »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

Morning all!

This morning, it's mostly working well (and I'm pleased at how straightforward it all was to set up).

Anyway, I wanted to note an observation - my wireless access to my phone died overnight.

I'd set up a TPlink modem/router as a wireless access point, plugged into the LAN, passing through DHCP requests to the HG612.  This worked surprisingly well, and my phone was able to stream iPlayer and receive emails as expected.

The phone was switched on all night, this morning I find it has no connectivity.  It can see the network, but no data.  The status screen shows full wifi signal, but it's coloured orange, which I imagine means no connection.

Restarting the phone cleared this.

I note this because someone else in one of the threads on here about HG612 and wireless access had reported the same thing (I forget which now).

At the moment I don't know if this is an HG612 think or something to do with the TPLink router - I've not used it in this way before.

Later on I'm going to try to set up the TalkTalk HG533 as the router and wifi, DHCP NAT etc device, and see how that goes.

Other than this, all going well - thanks for everyone's help !

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »

I was the one who had a similar experience with losing remote connections. It was completely reproducible, and only happened with one particular version of the firmware. We never got to the bottom of it, although plenty of theories were explored. I'll be interested to see if you gain any new insights.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »

I was the one who had a similar experience with losing remote connections. It was completely reproducible, and only happened with one particular version of the firmware. We never got to the bottom of it, although plenty of theories were explored. I'll be interested to see if you gain any new insights.

I found that a wireless computer that had also been running all night did still have a connection, although it's DHCP-granted ip address had changed (this was expected - it's original address had been granted by the old modem/router, so when it came for renewal, the HG612 would be likely to give a different one as this computer was new to it).

The phone's ip had been granted by the HG612 via the TPLink wireless connection, so I'm not sure why that had lost connection.

What did you have to do to clear the wireless problem?  Restarting the phone got it all working again.

However, just to muddy the water a bit more, this morning I've had some odd problems with the phone's connectivity while I was out, and several restarts have improved it. 

So problem could be HG612, the TPLink wireless or the phone itself  ???

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »

And many thanks to Roseway for DSL stats, which I left running overnight.  It's marvellous to finally have the hardware and software to do this   :D

Edit : removed attached plot as it was incomplete
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:54:38 PM by sheddyian »
Pages: [1] 2

anything