Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT HomeHub  (Read 2049 times)

z1ts

• Reg Member
BT HomeHub
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »

Hello all

As some of you may recall my parents are awaiting intervention from their/our local council before they are able to upgrade their poor-performing ADSL BB to FTTC.  In the meantime they're floundering along with a 5yr old + BT HH2.  I have a 'spare' ;) HH3 and am wondering if there's anything to be gained by swapping the 2 routers?  If it's worth a try then what do I need to configure in the advanced router settings to enable my HH3 to work on their ADSL line?  (Or do BT ADSL connections not need any usernames/passwords?)

Thanks in advance.

z1ts

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT HomeHub
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »

As far as I am aware (never having been a customer of Beattie, for broadband), you should be able to perform a direct swap of the HH3 for the HH2.

I would advise that you perform a factory reset of the HH3 before you connect it to the line. Power it up, wait a minute for it to "settle down", then insert a straightened out paper-clip into the reset hole, press and hold until there is a change in status of the HH3's LEDs. Remove the paper-clip, wait a minute and then connect the device to the line.

If it fails to authenticate, you will need to copy across the credentials from the HH2 to the HH3.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »

As above .............. straight swap (after a default reset to clear any changes made in the HH3), should work without incident.
Plus, tell your parents they are £300 each but you'll let them have it for £50. Good luck.  ;D

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:01:47 AM »

Thanks all - that confirms what I thought I'd read somewhere (but couldn't find it when I needed it!).

Hmmmmmm - I like the idea of the £50 beer money, but my parents have brought up 4 'lively' kids all now past our teenage years so unfortunately they're too savvy for that sort of lark!!!!!

Also, another quick question - if I change the wireless SSID and p'word of the HH3 to the same as the HH2, will all devices currently connected to 2 automatically connect to 3 once powered up???  Save a lot of fiddling with numerous devices in the z1ts Snr household!!!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »

Also, another quick question - if I change the wireless SSID and p'word of the HH3 to the same as the HH2, will all devices currently connected to 2 automatically connect to 3 once powered up???  Save a lot of fiddling with numerous devices in the z1ts Snr household!!!

Yes, in theory that should work.  :)

I would recommend that you perform all of the configuration steps with the HH3 disconnected from the incoming line. Once you have everything set "just so", power down the HH3, connect the xDSL and power up the HH3.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything