Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problems with long line to cabinet  (Read 6323 times)

can2002

Re: Problems with long line to cabinet
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »

Hi Burakkucat, thanks again!

Graph attached, although it shows nothing more (I'd cropped it before to show just the tones with data).

There was an option on the QLN tab "Show extended tone range", which I checked.  There was no equivalent option on the Hlog tab, might I have missed something obvious?

Cheers,
Chris

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »

No, I don't think you've missed anything in the DSLstats configuration. (I'm sure Eric would mention it, if you had . . . )

Thank you for the un-cropped version of the Hlog graph. It is nothing like what I have ever previously seen.  :(

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

can2002

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

Thanks (I think ;-) )...

One thing I realise I haven't actually said is that I have an ADSL2+ on my other phone line. I'd assumed Openreach would have flagged this as a problem if it had been, but I feel silly not having mentioned this before...

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »

Thank you for the un-cropped version of the Hlog graph. It is nothing like what I have ever previously seen.  :(

Neither have I.

Hlog's maximum attenuation/minimum value for VDSL2 connections is around 96dB (i.e. no data, bitloading etc. can be obtained from the affected tones).
Hence the perfectly flat shape of the graph, in places.

Maximum attenuation for VDSL2 connections seems to be somehwre between 63dB & to dB.

It's most unusual to see such Hlog graphs from a VDSL2 connection.
To me, it indicates quite severe physical line problem, unlike the usual 'V' shape we see when bridged taps are present.
Unless the ADSL2+ connection is having a negative effect (not seen previously).
The issue does seem to be within the the ADSL2+ tone range.

can2002

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »

Thanks again for all the feedback - I shall keep my fingers crossed for a good engineer tomorrow (the last guy suggested the solution was to drop me from a 80/20 profile to 40/10...) and have my graphs ready!

Chris

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »

with vdsl when the only frequences available are those shared with adsl then typically adsl will yield a better sync speed as that wont have the power cutback.

can2002

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 07:02:43 AM »

Hi,

The visit happened without much of a conclusion.  He was a fairly young chap who didn't really seem to be interested in the Hlog graph, he was just surprised my rate was so low and suggested he would not have been able to commission the job if I'd got less then 15Mbps (??)...

He plugged his tester in and got the same set of green ticks the previous two guys got and then "reset the fibre ports" before going to the cabinet and checking performance at that end.

He said he would log a job for an 'underground engineer' to check the connections between me and the cabinet.

The bearer 0 speed jumped up after the reset yesterday, but has been nudging back down and will undoubtedly return to where it was after a few days (graphs attached), fingers crossed for a result from the 'underground engineer'...

Cheers,
Chris

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »

interesting your reply confirmed engineers in my area talking rubbish, the ones who visited me claimed when they get green ticks they cant justify 'any' work.

good luck with the undergound checks lets hope they find and fix a problem.

can2002

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »

So I had an 'underground engineer' out on Saturday (1st March) and following various feedback her as well as a suggestion from an electronic engineer a bit more was done this time round.  I explained the background of my issues to him and also showed him the HLOG graph and explained the feedback I'd received (here).

Firstly, the chap did the same 'copper' line test the other chaps had done previously with the same positive results as below.  He made particular reference to the 'AC balance' being good (65%) given the distance of my line.  He then attempted to do a broadband test, but his tester would not synchronise.  It then transpired that each of the previous engineers had been unable to synchronise their testers either.  To rule out something obvious he went to the cabinet and was able to sync his tester there.

One of the questions asked by my colleague was whether previous engineers had done a reflection test, so when he returned I asked the chap about it and after we agreed on terminology (he referred to it as a HR fault test) he took a look.  He explained that they wouldn't normally run this manually if the automated test came back without error (which of course mine did not) but did so.  In the process he noted a potential HR fault approximately 200 metres from my house and to his credit he got his laptop out and identified a potential junction box.  He paced it out and the distance matched.

After re-terminating my connection (noting that there was no sign of a bad connection when he looked at it) he repeated the manual HR test and we both saw that the blip had gone.  I then reset dslstats to see whether any difference was obvious on the HLOG graph, but there was no change.  By this point he'd pretty much run out of options and said that he felt confident that re-terminating the connection would resolve the problem and estimated I shouldn't get below  (of the sync speed progressively dropping from 6Mbps down to just over 2Mbps).  While I didn't feel particularly confident, to be fair on the guy he made a lot more effort than any of the previous engineers.

I'd deliberately left it a few days before posting to see what happened to the speed and the initial signs are not great.  Speed has been dropping each day (see attached graphs).

Chris

Pages: 1 [2]