Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems with long line to cabinet  (Read 6335 times)

can2002

Problems with long line to cabinet
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »

I switched over from ADSL2+ to FTTC at the beginning of January.  I live just outside Chertsey in Surrey in a small sem-rural village that is half-served by the Chertsey exchange with the other half served by the exchange in Ottershaw.  I'm the last house on my side of the road served by Chertsey and frustratingly, my cabinet is 2.09KM from my house (my neighbour is 0.6KM from his cabinet).

On ADSL2+ I was achieving rates of 3.5Mbps down and a fraction under 1Mbps up.  After nearly two months, my FTTC stats are 2.6Mbps down and not much over 0.4Mbps up.  While I'd not expected miracles, I'd (perhaps naively) expected to at least match my ADSL speeds with the hope that future developments of VDSL might gradually bring some improvements.

Openreach have been out a couple of times now and carried out a whole bunch of tests on my line and on each occassion they tell me the line is absolutely fine...

I've attached various screenshots from dslstats; I hope I've included everything important.  My main observation (compared to postings from other people) is that there's a big hole in the bitloading graph.  The FEC errors are noticeable, but I'm not sure whether they're particularly high?

I would appreciate any advice or feedback people can provide!

Regards,
Chris

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Problems with long line to cabinet
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

Hi Can 2002,

If your line really is 2 km (presumably plus routing lengths as well) you're probably doing quite well for VDSL !

My first question is did Openreach examine your entire internal network as well as just from their test socket within the NTE5 master socket ?

Next I suggest you install an unlocked Huawei and run the modem monitoring firmware from baldeagle1 and that lovely Black pussy.
The Hlog graph can point to problems quite often.

Kind regards,
Walter

can2002

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »

Thanks Walter,

I guess it could be slightly closer - the 2K is measured by road from my position on the road to the cabinet - two Openreach engineers have confirmed where my cabinet is. 

Regarding the firmware, I'm running the following:

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_Wolfy_Unlocked

I presume this won't allow the monitoring you mentioned?

Regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:52:14 PM by can2002 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »

You can display the HLog graph in DSLstats. Look on the "Items to monitor" section, under Configuration.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:07:09 AM »

Regarding the firmware, I'm running the following:

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_Wolfy_Unlocked

That firmware will be fine for line monitoring. As you are already using DSLstats, perhaps you would configure the utility to produce the Hlog graph, please, as explained by Eric.

(Just outside Chertsey, Surrey. Almost within trundling distance of Walter's Wheelbarrow;)  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

can2002

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:21:28 AM »

Brilliant, thanks both and will do!!

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »

@ BKK,

That thought had also crossed my mind. Let's see what develops (and whether a canoe is still required). Incidentally I doubt whether all BT u/g joints can withstand submarine pressures either !

Kind regards,
Walter

can2002

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've attached the hlog graph.

Chris

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »

@ Can 2002,

The Hlog confirms that all is far from well with your line and / or internal phone wiring.
I would start by checking you are on the first and only master socket with an integral filter faceplate direct off the incoming cable**, that no ring-wires are connected anywhere within your house - i.e wires are only connected to pins 2 and 5.  ** Check both inside and outside of the house for connector boxes without any star wiring. Once you are absolutely certain that your wiring is perfect, then check Hlog again and if it's still similar openreach need to look for bridged taps and crossed pairs.

Kind regards,
Walter

can2002

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I don't have any extension lines in my house at all and the modem definitely connects directly into the newly fitted filter plate on the master socket (installed when I was migrated to fttc in early Jan).

The feed to my house is via an underground cable, which terminates in a small junction box outside the house, which in turn feeds directly to my master socket (I actually have two phone lines fed from the same 3 pair cable up to the master sockets, which are next to eachother).

My isp is going to send openreach out again, so I'll mention exactly what you suggested.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »

Hi Can 2002,

The reason I'm suggesting all is not well are illustrated in the thread below where an excellent Openreach engineer discovered we had crossed pairs.
Although the scales are different you'll see that the post-discovery curve is very much smoother.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13505.0

If your phone provider supports 17070 option 2 quiet line test and option 1 ring back test you could try those tests on both lines.
Otherwise you might try ringing the VDSL line whilst you watch the modem's lights when there's practically no other traffic.

Perhaps the real Gurus might like to comment too ?

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »

I am at a loss as to what to type regarding the Hlog graph. I have never seen one that exhibits "straight-sided wells", such as the above.  :o

This is a FTTC service, isn't it? (Rhetorical question, no answer required!) There should be 4096 tones accessible . . .  :(

can2002

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

Hi and thanks both.

It is an fttc line, yes. Funnily enough when I first bought the Huawei modem I had an odd problem where it wouldn't sync at all unless I put the very latest hacked firmware (which burakkucat gave some advice on), which now makes me wonder if there is a shared root cause...

I'll try the last couple of suggestions from Walter (thanks).

Chris

can2002

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »

Hi again,

I have an openreach engineer booked for this Wednesday and would like to be as prepared as possible for the visit.

Does anyone believe they will be interested or influenced by the graphs I've collected to date?  Also, if there are specific questions I can ask (Walter suggested asking about crossed pairs or bridged taps)?

Lastly and regarding the 17070, the line is with BT at the moment so this should be fine.  Sorry if it's a silly question, but should I be doing anything with dslstats while running the test, or is the goal just to run the test and listen to the results?

Thanks,
Chris

p.s. I hadn't enabled the QLN graph in Dslstats before - in case it's of use/relevant, I've attached a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:33:51 AM by can2002 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

I would really like to see a re-plot of the Hlog graph, using the same x-axis scale as the QLN graph and showing all potential 4096 tones.

Perhaps Walter would care to don his waders and trundle the wheelbarrow to a village just outside Chertsey?  :-\

Pages: [1] 2