Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Removing HG612 Modem stats 2.0  (Read 6463 times)

meteosat

Re: Removing HG612 Modem stats 2.0
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »

Not a problem.

Please see attached zip file

Would really like to know how the file was produced, in case the stats prog has some service still running.

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »

So far so good! But what remains is still causing me some head scratching. It looks as if the file was generated by the prog and then written to the root directory. I cannot be 100% sure if the bootup issue was happening with the program still installed, but I tend to think it was as I think I went for the uninstall because of seeing the errant files - but I could be wrong.

But why on earth that particular file was being called up by other progs on bootup remains a mystery - perhaps a Windows quirk?

Any further thought from those in the know as to why that error text was placed in the root directory with the name 'program' would be gratefully received!!

DownloadStudio hasn't received particularly good reviews.
Spyware & malware have been mentioned:-

http://download.cnet.com/DownloadStudio/3000-2071_4-10266250.html

I wonder if it (or some other program) unexpectefly runs programs at boot time?

This line here, is actually a line of code from HG612_stats.exe after the variables have been populated:-

19/02/2014 15:37:06.25 - In [HG612_stats.exe] - After ini_parse(). ERROR.LOG status = 0,  Files (x86)\HG612_Modem_Stats\Ongoing_Stats\ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT

The actual code is:-

Code: [Select]
sprintf(Error_log_not_opened_command, "echo %%date%% %%time%% - In [HG612_stats.exe] - After ini_parse(). ERROR.LOG status = %d, >> %s\\ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT", Error_log_opened, config.Ongoing_Stats_folder);

system(Error_log_not_opened_command);

%s is the variable for the path to the Ongoing_Stats folder.

I have managed to recreate a file with no extension, containing the same format of details that you posted.

In your example, it appears that you had set up the programs in the folder named "Program Files (x86)" on one of your drives.

"ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT" is just a debugging file that will be removed in release 2.1
It is coded in such a way as to log details via a Windows system call as that's the only way to record details before the normal ERROR.LOG file is opened.

ERROR.LOG status = 0 means that ERROR.LOG hasn't been opened yet.
ERROR.LOG status = 1 means that ERROR.LOG has now been opened.

As updating the debugging file is just a temporary measure, I didn't bother to build in the code to use folder/file names that include spaces as the default location for the program folder is C:\HG612_Modem_Stats (no spaces).

I used a folder name of "HG612_Modem_Stats\Ongoing Stats" (with a space in it to partially recreate the issue).

Once I remove creation of the debugging files, the rest of the programs can indeed use folders/files that include spaces in their names.

Because the folder "Program Files(x86)" has a space in its name, a file with no extension will be created using the first word in the folder name ("Program" in your case & "Ongoing" in the example I used to create the issue).

My example text file with no extension, named "Ongoing" contains this text:-
22/02/2014 18:53:30.18 - In [HG612_stats.exe] - After ini_parse(). ERROR.LOG status = 0,  Stats\ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT

Stats is the remainder of the folder name Ongoing Stats (i.e. the part after the space).

So, I hope you could follow the above as it explains why you saw a file named Program with no extension being created.

I'm afraid I have no idea why on earth something opens it on your desktop on bootup though.
I can only imagine something is running on your PC (maybe malware/spyware) that tries to run programs from your Program Files(x86) folder at boot time.

Doing that is certainly not a "feature" of any of my programs.

The only thing that runs automatically after booting up is the scheduled task & only then if it hasn't been disabled or deleted.

Are you 100% sure it (or maybe a task from a previous version of my programs) isn't still running?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:42:04 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »

At least we now know why the file was created, but if it was our scheduled task causing it to be opened on boot, would it not then open every minute?

It's got to be something to do with those three programs if it's doesn't do it with those disabled.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

meteosat

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »

Hi guys,

I am grateful for the fuller explanation of the workings of the program. I am considering eliminating Downloadstudio as to be honest it hasn't been all that useful.

Just to completely eliminate the scheduled task on boot-up line of enquiry - would the task be fairly clearly identified as with HG612 in the title or some such thing? I can see other tasks but no obvious connection.

I did run Hijackthis and Malwarebytes early on in the checking stage to eliminate if possible any viral infections, and I had a clean bill of health there.

Just to reiterate - the 'program' file was lodged in the root directory of my D drive - hence your comment:

'I can only imagine something is running on your PC (maybe malware/spyware) that tries to run programs from your Program Files(x86) folder at boot time.' isn't correct at that point unless I have missed your argument.

Just a last check on what name would be given to the scheduled task - and then I really don't want to bother you guys more - you have been more than helpful.

Oh - but can I clarify - the prog doesn't call up a particular service does it? When I was using msconfig without the bootup files but WITH all services, there was no issue.

Cheers

meteosat

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »

I have removed as much of Downloadstudio as I can manage - its seems to have sprayed itself around the registry!
Replacing the errant file brings back the problem. However removing the Logitech Webcam updater kills it again, confirming to me that there were in facet two progs which called up the file. Go figure!!

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »

Hi guys,

I am grateful for the fuller explanation of the workings of the program. I am considering eliminating Downloadstudio as to be honest it hasn't been all that useful.

Just to completely eliminate the scheduled task on boot-up line of enquiry - would the task be fairly clearly identified as with HG612 in the title or some such thing? I can see other tasks but no obvious connection.

It should be obvious. This is the task info from my PC:-

Code: [Select]
Folder: \
HostName:                             PAUL-PC
TaskName:                             \HG612 Stats Program
Next Run Time:                        22/02/2014 21:42:00
Logon Mode:                           Interactive/Background
Last Run Time:                        22/02/2014 21:41:00
Last Result:                          0
Author:                               Paul
Task To Run:                          "C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts\HG612_Run.exe"
Start In:                             N/A
Comment:                              This task runs the HG612 modem stats logging program every minute.
Scheduled Task State:                 Enabled
Idle Time:                            Disabled
Power Management:                     Stop On Battery Mode, No Start On Batteries
Run As User:                          Paul-PC\Paul
Delete Task If Not Rescheduled:       Enabled
Stop Task If Runs X Hours and X Mins: 72:00:00
Schedule:                             Scheduling data is not available in this format.
Schedule Type:                        One Time Only, Minute
Start Time:                           19:28:00
Start Date:                           03/02/2014
End Date:                             N/A
Days:                                 N/A
Months:                               N/A
Repeat: Every:                        0 Hour(s), 1 Minute(s)
Repeat: Until: Time:                  None
Repeat: Until: Duration:              Disabled
Repeat: Stop If Still Running:        Disabled

I did run Hijackthis and Malwarebytes early on in the checking stage to eliminate if possible any viral infections, and I had a clean bill of health there.

Just to reiterate - the 'program' file was lodged in the root directory of my D drive - hence your comment:

'I can only imagine something is running on your PC (maybe malware/spyware) that tries to run programs from your Program Files(x86) folder at boot time.' isn't correct at that point unless I have missed your argument.

TBH, I was 'second-guessing' a little at that stage  :lol:

The file seems to have been dumped higher up the folder tree than where it was intended it to go (due to it incorrectly not using a folder name that contained spaces).

When recreating the issue at my end, it stashed it in the folder one level up, the folder name at that level not containing any spaces.

Just a last check on what name would be given to the scheduled task - and then I really don't want to bother you guys more - you have been more than helpful.

By default, it will be named "HG612 Stats Program", as per the info shown above

Oh - but can I clarify - the prog doesn't call up a particular service does it? When I was using msconfig without the bootup files but WITH all services, there was no issue.

Cheers

No, it doesn't run as a service & it doesn't call up any services.

HTH.

Pages: 1 [2]