Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Would interleaving switched off improve my speed?  (Read 14610 times)

lodge

Would interleaving switched off improve my speed?
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:06:28 PM »

Hi folks:

I live a fair way from the local exchange (about 5kms) and I have stuck with a fixed 2MB connection for 3 1/2 years. However, in a less than sober moment I took the plunge over last weekend and regraded to ADSL Max. When the upgrade first completed on day one, I noticed with great excitement that I was about getting 5000 kb/s on Think Broadband's speed test. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think interleaving was off.

I am now into day 5 and apart from that initial first hour I have been getting a consistent 3900 - 4000 kb/s, but I see from my router that interleaving is on. Question is, do you think my line could take interleaving being switched off and would it increase my line speed if it were. Well, that's two questions, but you get the drift! My stats are:

Downstream speed:  4608 Kbps
Upstream speed:        448 Kbps     
Downstream latency: Interleave
Upstream latency:   Interleave    
Trellis coding:    Disabled
Loss of signal:    901    
Line attenuation: 41.5 dB    
Loss of frame:    8    

Thanks in advance for your advice
Noise margin 10.5 dB    
CRC error 10000    
Total error duration 1110 seconds

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Would interleaving switched off improve my speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »

Welcome to the forum, lodge. :)

I am only 600 metres from the exchange and I have interleaving on. I believe that is now the default with new ADSL services. The gain in speed you would get, by having interleaving switched off, is marginal, but the likely instability wouldn't be. The only real gain from having interleaving off is better latency figures which are only of use for certain types of game playing.

You probably did get higher download speeds at first but if they proved to be too unstable then the rate would have been reduced until an acceptable level of errors was established.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:37:53 PM by Astral »

lodge

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:36:01 PM »

Thanks very much for the welcome and the speedy response. I will take your advice and leave things as they are.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »

As Astral said, interleaving doesn't really have much (if any) effect on speeds. Your speed is a bit less than you might be expected to get with an attenuation of 41.5 dB, but that won't be due to interleaving. You could have a look at This for some tips on improving your connection. (It refers to low SNR margin, which isn't your problem, but the advice still applies.)

Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:45:38 PM »

Let us know what your stats are when the full ten days have passed. There may be a few tweaks with better filters or a different modem/router that you can try to give you optimum performance. It doesn't look too bad at the moment considering the line length.

lodge

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

Thanks to you both. Can I ask what the perceived wisdom is about switching the router on and off during the training period?

Thanks.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:18:53 PM »

Don't do it too often; it may be interpreted as a fault. Switching off overnight won't do any harm though.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:08:55 AM »

If your router reports FEC errors, it would be useful to post these up too. If not, no worries. The FEC (Forward Error Correction) count will tell you how many cells have been corrected by interleaving. If this number racks up considerably then I would leave it on, if this is low then you could probably get interleaving switched off.

Note that switching interleaving off won't really improve your sync speed, all it will do is to reduce your latency or "ping" - if you're not a gamer it's pretty unimportant (and I reckon a lot of gamers conveniently blame their ping time on bad performance - but I probably shouldn't say that cuz it might start a flame war heh ;) )

What's probably happened with your speed is that BT's DLM (dynamic line management) has bumped you up to a higher SNR margin (I note yours is currently 10.5dB) which means your sync speed will be lower.

As regards switching on and off, like Astral says, don't do it too often. I would doubt whether you really need to do it at all, as the automatic DLM might consider it to be a fault, and raise your SNR even more, causing your sync to drop further... which you don't really want to happen!

What router have you got? You might be able to play with a thing called the DMT tool which enables you to adjust your target SNR margin (useful only if your line has been bumped up due to a fault that is now fixed but your SNR is still too high - if your line is unstable there's no point lowering your SNR as it will just get bumped up higher eventually).

Hope that helps :)
Chris

lodge

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 06:50:08 AM »

I am embarrassed  :-[ to say that I am still using a Voyager 2000 which I bought when my exchange was first enabled in 2004. But up until now, it's always served me well. Do you think it's time for a change anyway, or could I use this DMT tool successfully with the Voyager?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 07:09:55 AM »

The DMT website doesn't show the Voyager 2000 as supported, but someone else may know better. You might get slightly better performance with a newer router, but to be honest, choosing the right one is a bit of a lottery.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »

is the netgear dg834g compatible with the program? iv got it but no idea what PORT number to put in. I put my ip address but not sure what port my modem is under. also when it asks you login details, is it asking you login for your router, or login for internet?

id like to turn interleaving off too, just to experiment, am i able to with my router?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:54:23 AM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »

I think that DMT 8.xx works with the latest (v4) version of DG834G but I'm not sure so perhaps someone else could confirm. When you first run the DMT program you are asked whether you want German or English. There's a tutorial for using DMT v8 Here.

You can't control interleaving yourself unfortunately - you have to ask your ISP to get it done by BT.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »

Hi lodge and welcome :)

I could be wrong, but iirc the Voyager 2000 was a fore-runner to the Voyager 2091/2100/2110 series of routers, and if it uses the same chipset it should work with DMT v8.

You can find out which chipset is in use by telnetting into the router and using the command cat proc/cpu
More info about telnetting into the router and using this command at the bottom of the page :- http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/voyager_2100_cli.htm

The info you are looking for should be something like
system type : RTA770W
processor : 0
cpu model : BCM6345 V0.0

If you do this would you kindly advise me the output, so that I may mark on the site if DMT also supports the Voyager 2000 accordingly.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

I think that DMT 8.xx works with the latest (v4) version of DG834G but I'm not sure so perhaps someone else could confirm. When you first run the DMT program you are asked whether you want German or English. There's a tutorial for using DMT v8 Here.

Correct.  :)

However ,  I strongly suspect that jaydog has the AOL provided router in which case it will be either v2 or v3 which doesnt work with DMT.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »

nope, i have version 4 as i upgraded the firmware lol

so what do i put in under the login details and port in the dmt software?
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything