Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bt DSLMax Line Problem  (Read 2970 times)

Lynx84

• Just arrived
Bt DSLMax Line Problem
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:09:42 PM »

First off i would like to thank this forum for being an absolute goldmine of information to access.

I had a conversation with BT on the 14th of january after my voyager 2091 dsl signal wasnt being picked up.
as i picked up the telephone to call bt i noticed my dsl signal had sync'd back up to the exchange so i put the phone back down and low an behold it lost the signal again.
i read up on this problem and called bt again to let them know i was having problems and after 4-5 hours of phone tag with engineers and me trying the test socket they decided that an engineer needed to be dispatched.
The very next day a nice engineer named russell came round to check all the wiring which he did and to his best tried to fix my problem by adding an rf3 filter to my line and making sure my connection was watertight for outside interferance.
unfortunatly after he visted the exchange he said everything was ok there and came to the conclusion that a fixed 2mb service was too fast for a line attenuation of 58 dbs and advised i was regraded to a 1mb service or dsl max. (which i agree with)
So i called bt broadband accounts and relayed the information to them, who said they would put dsl max service and to give it a week to be fixed.

So yesterday dslmax was enabled and i now have:

interleaved connection with an interleave depth of 8 (after i pick up the phone, giving me an ip profile of 600-700kbps)
and 16 (when i turn of the modem and let it re sync without picking up the phone, giving me an ip profile 160kbps)

A snr target of 15db which has dropped today to 10.5 db giving me a grand total download speed of 15kb/sec!!! at whatever ip profile im set at.
also now when you pick up the phone the dsl signal cuts out and sync's at a faster speed (1024 kbps) but i still get a max download speed of 15kbps so i dont really beleive that.
i also put two then three filters between the main socket and my dect phone to make sure the phone wasnt causing noise.
I called bt again last night an explained all these issues to a chap named asky who then passed the information on to his colleage shamil  they told me they would look into it and someone would call me back.
i also requested that my target snr be 6 db.

Im a little tired of talking to bt now so im posting here so i can read all this information if bt need it and maybe someone knows whats going on and could tell me what i need to tell bt!

here is my adsl line check info

Thanks for reading  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Bt DSLMax Line Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:30:56 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

Firstly the phone -> sync problem is indicative of whats called a "high open" fault.  Possibly caused by either a rusty joint or water on the line.  Do you still have this problem or has that been fixed?

Since you have only just been maxed it perhaps needs a little time to settle during the training process.
However - some long lines simply do not work well on max - purely because of the IP profile, and the way that a large target SNR can actually mean that speeds can be less than what they would be on a fixed product.

Looking at the info you have provided so far and from what you say - then BT (your ISP) should have put you on a fixed 1Mb account but have instead transferred you to maxdsl. I know my own ISP (and others) use the fixed products for long lines.

Can you post your full line stats please, so that we can have a look and see if theres anything obvious.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Lynx84

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »

Thank you kitz, i appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post

The phone -> Problem doesnt look like its been fixed as it seems that now instead of the handset when picked up making the modem and dslam sync it is  now causing the modem to resync
then resync when the handset is hung up, i was aware of the "high open" scenario i explained that to a bt technical support rep and asked them to run a metallic loop test on the line as a article advised me to do...
however the person on the phone didnt seem to think i knew what i was talking about and went on with his script about how i would be contacted by bt when they have an update.figures  :(

my line stats are

id just like to add this speedtest i did at the same time that screen of my router stats page was taken

Thanks again
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:03:44 PM by Lynx84 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »

Theres something very weird about those line stats!

Your downstream attenuation is being reported as 15.5dB and doesn correlate with your upstream attenuation.
A 15.5dB line should be fine - Im wondering if your router could perhaps be false reporting this figure? Its too low for a 3.7 - 4km line

Aside from the fact that if you are still seeing symptoms of the high open fault then this will be causing adsl problems and needs looking into.

Have you tried the quiet line test to see if you can hear any noise on your line?
Can you also borrow another router from a friend for a hour to check your stats.
Also do any of your neighbours have adsl and what sync speeds are they seeing?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Lynx84

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:39 PM »

Yes the line attenuation was wrong! i reset the router and got this

also performed the quiet line test and heard a slight humming when ear volume was on max (8)

i also took the opportunity to take my line stats while on the phone after the resync ive told you about occurs

however still getting around that 100-120 kbps speed on speedtest.net

while typing this up i had a call from bt faults asking if the problem had been resolved...i was a little Blunt an engineer has been arranged to see me tommorow between 1 and 6 i will talk to him about the high open problem as i didnt know about it when the engineer first visited

i dont think there is anything you can do about this kitz as im sure its a fault on bt's end with regards to the d/c when the phone is picked up i will also talk to the engineer about the speed as im so used to having 2 meg speeds 15kb a second now just isnt going to cut it! haha

have a great evening ive already taken up plenty of your time and i appreciate your dedication to helping me out :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:10 PM »

I second what Kitz has said. You've got a rather awkward line with high attenuation, but the second lot of figures are about what you might reasonably expect. It does look like a line fault, and when the engineer arrives I suggest that you show him those last two sets of figures. Good luck!
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »

Just to add,I,m with BT as well on a long line,63.0 /31.5 line att,snr,15.7/12.0.I am synching at 1856down/448 up with an IP profile of 1500kb.My line is quite steady,its been 53 days since my last re-sync.Like the guys said it looks like a line fault.Do you have any extension,have you tried plugging direct into the master socket.

anything