Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Defibrillator Emergency Phone.  (Read 4624 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Defibrillator Emergency Phone.
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »

Our local village hall has just had a Defibrillator box put up.
To get access to the Defibrillator you have to phone 999, tell them your location and then they give you the code to open the lock.

Problem, we do not get a good/any mobile phone signal  :o

I have put it to our parish council that there is a land line phone in the hall and said I'm sure a phone could be placed next to the Defibrillator box outside in some kind of smash box to get at the phone to dial 999.

Have you got any thoughts on this please.
Edit .. Also how could a land-line phone be connected to the hall phone line for emergencies only.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:51:05 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Defibrillator Emergency Phone.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »

Who put the unit there? Ask them about joined-up thinking and how they plan to make the facility non-useless?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »

Who put the unit there? Ask them about joined-up thinking and how they plan to make the facility non-useless?

Our parish council got a grant, they would not think about phone signal  :o

Edit ..I have just told them about this and the state of the electrical supply to the box which has to be on all the time.
I would not pay the electrician ! He has no idea.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:43:45 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »

Any of our phone experts comment on how an emergency phone can be connected and also what type of phone box would be used.
I need to get back to the parish council ASAP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »

Perhaps have an external phone connected the same circuit as the phone within the hall but have the external phone pre-programmed to call one dedicated number when the handset is lifted?  :-\

I'm sure that there are telephones available which do not have a keypad and can be pre-programmed to establish a call to one particular number.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »

How about just having a conventional extension phone extension (off the main hall line) nearby the defibrillator, but placing it inside a glass case with a hammer attached and a sign saying 'Emergency phone: break glass to access'?

That would deter unauthorised use of the phone.  It would not stop a malicious intruder from running up large phone bills, but that risk must exist already if the hall has a phone line.

My suggestion would hinge upon availability of suitable (toughened) glass cases that shatter in a harmless way and are available at affordable prices.  I do not know if that is a reasonable expectation.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »

Some years ago, at my bowls club, the only phone was behind the bar, which was obviously locked when the bar was closed.

They decided they wanted to have an extension in the lobby, for incoming calls only. I was duly 'elected' to provide this facility.

I provided a BT Vanguard, initially with the intention of preventing outgoing calls by slipping an insulating membrane between the keys and the contacts. Then I thought - even better - cut holes in the membrane to allow digits 1, 2 and 9 - to allow emergency calls to 112 or 999.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:54 PM »

I provided a BT Vanguard, initially with the intention of preventing outgoing calls by slipping an insulating membrane between the keys and the contacts. Then I thought - even better - cut holes in the membrane to allow digits 1, 2 and 9 - to allow emergency calls to 112 or 999.

I may be wrong, but  one problem I foresee with that approach is that dtmf diallers held against the landline phone's mic would still work and allow any number to be dialled   I suspect there may even be iOS/Android Apps that will generate the dtmf.

Apologies if I'm missing something  :-[

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:31 AM »

How about just having a conventional extension phone extension (off the main hall line) nearby the defibrillator, but placing it inside a glass case with a hammer attached and a sign saying 'Emergency phone: break glass to access'?

That would deter unauthorised use of the phone.  It would not stop a malicious intruder from running up large phone bills, but that risk must exist already if the hall has a phone line.

My suggestion would hinge upon availability of suitable (toughened) glass cases that shatter in a harmless way and are available at affordable prices.  I do not know if that is a reasonable expectation.

The vandals would have a birthday  :'(  I noticed three youths looking how to get in it the same day it was put up.

anything