Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 33357 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Tablets
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »

Not the kind you swallow  :D

Due to me being demoted back to the world of sub 2mb broadband in a few months time I am now seriously considering a 4G enabled tablet to use instead of paying for a fixed broadband line.I feel that what I use the internet for a tablet will suffice my needs.

I would like a minimum of a 10" screen and one that is able to support 4G.

I have looked at the Samsung Galaxy tab 10,The Sony Xperia Z.I have so far kept away from Apple due to the fact that they seem to want to hold you over a barrel with extras etc.Saying that the ipad does look good.

Has anyone any thoughts please.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Tablets
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »

Well I have no experience of 4G but all I can say is that my wife's wi-fi only Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10inch is a good performer which bodes well for any 4g enabled one. I also have a 3g Sony Xperia phone which is also good and in my experience Sony stuff is good. I would also stay away from anything Apple mainly because of their attitude to anything 3rd party and the IMHO extortionate pricing for what you get.

My worry would be how good the 4g coverage and reliability is, I guess OK in major cities right now but elsewhere who knows, some places you cant even get 3g still.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »

Have you considered using a sim in your mobile that allows tethering?

I got the One Plan for my Galaxy S4 when it was available for £15 a month, I think it's now £20 a month sim only. I can tether my tablet, laptop or even a pc presuming it has wireless. Also multiple devices can be connected at the same time.

I've also just purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition wifi only, and so far it's been amazing,  no hangs like my old tablet.

Even without 4G, the best speed test I've had on my phone is 27/2Mbps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:35:50 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies Stuart and Ronski.

@ Ronski,I have thought about tethering(even though its something I know little of).I am really in need of a new pc though,using an old Dell desk top at present.7 year old with Windows Vista installed.

Regarding tethering,I have been told your phone can get hot and also what about using while its tethered to your other device?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »

My S4 is in Otterbox case, but I think I have noticed it's been a little warm on occasion. As regards to using tethering it couldn't be easier, I just drag down from the top of the screen and click the tethering icon to turn it on, having previously set up the password. Devices just connect as for any other wireless network.

The phone can still be used whilst tethering is on, texting, phoning, browsing the net on your phone all works exactly the same, just your phone can also supply an Internet connection to other wireless devices via the mobile phone network. Of course you will need to check your phone supports tethering, if not there may be an app for it, also you will need a Sim which permits tethering.

There are some good PCs available for about £200 upwards, so it all depends on what you want, and what you use it for.

It is also possible to tether via a usb cable, but I haven't tried that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:53:36 PM by Ronski »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »

Thanks Ronski  :)

At present my phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on T mobile(non 4G).I have 15 months left on the contract so as well as getting a cheap laptop I would have to get a 4G phone and a plan that allows tethering.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »

Depending on your contract with T Mobile and when you took it out you may already have tethering included in your contract - see the last paragraph here, If you don't have tethering included it would be worth finding out how much it would be to upgrade.

The following is from T-Mobiles T&CS as linked to above, their cheapest unlimited plan starts at £16.99, so I'm sure you could upgrade your plan if it doesn't include unlimited data.

Any plan with an unlimited data allowance gives you unlimited use of internet on your phone when you're in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone includes using your phone as a modem (tethering) but network traffic controls apply.

You'll also need to find out whether T Mobile has blocked the option within Android. On my S4 it's listed under Settings:Connections:More networks:Tethering and portable hotspots.

You don't need 4G for tethering, we certainly haven't got 4G around here, but speeds do vary greatly depending on reception.

For me tethering is the way to go, I certainly don't see the point of paying for two sims/contracts when one will do the job.

Edit: Of course if you don't mind paying for two sims/contracts you could always get a MiFi dongle, which is basically your own portable wifi hotspot. I've never tried one so have no idea how well they work.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:25:08 PM by Ronski »

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »

Just out of curiosity;
Any plan with an unlimited data allowance gives you unlimited use of internet on your phone when you're in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone includes using your phone as a modem (tethering) but network traffic controls apply.

It would be interesting to understand what this part "network traffic controls apply" from the above statement implies. I read it as "unlimited" BUT it is limited, due to network traffic controls. We are just trying to hide the fact ;)
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »

Perhaps the correct way to read it is unlimited data, but with peer to peer crippled. I'm sure elsewhere on the page I linked to it mentions something about peer to peer. Data can still be unlimited with network traffic controls, but of course we are all aware of just how the term unlimited has been used over the years.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »

My T Mobile plan at present is 300 minutes/500 texts/1GB data/unlimited calls to landlines.I pay £26 a month for that(My Galaxy Note 2 was free)

As you have mentioned Ronski upgrading my present T Mobile plan so I can tether would be the cheapest option.

I could get a sim only from 3 mobile for £15 for 10GB a month data.As its only 30 day contract I could try it and if it doesn't work out try something else.
My T Mobile phone only gets an average signal at home home,where as my OH's O2 mobile always has a full strength signal.There does seem to be quite a few O2 masts quite close to my home.
I have 90% decided if I have to revert back to ADSL then I will get shut and use a tablet via 4G.The BT checker gives me an average of 2mb but the range goes from 1.5mb to 4mb.Which means anything over 1.5mb would be classed as acceptable in their eyes.I'm not going down the BT Indian support route again,it use to drive me in sane last time. :wall:
Another option would be Plusnet,price is ok but speed would be the same,then there is Zen,great support,still poor speeds and @ over £18 a month expensive for what I would get out of it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »

Don't forget to factor in whether you really need a land line, line rental and broadband adds up to a lot more than a mobile phone.

We only really have the land line for the broadband, and we are lucky enough to have good fttc speeds.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »

Just to add something into the mix....

My OH now thinks we might be better off getting a lap top instead of a tablet.  ::)

If we did would a 4G dongle plugged into a lap top give the same results as a sim inserted into a tablet.

I have looked on the O2 site,EE site and also the 3 site and seen these..

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2566

http://shop.ee.co.uk/huawei-e5776-mobile-wifi/all/details/

Is there any difference speed wise etc from a dongle to one of those mobile wifi devices.Does the mobile wifi just plug into the mains and act like a mini router,where as the dongle plugs directly into the lap top... ???

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2566

Is there any difference speed wise etc from a dongle to one of those mobile wifi devices.Does the mobile wifi just plug into the mains and act like a mini router,where as the dongle plugs directly into the lap top... ???

And see also
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/dongles-and-mobile-wi-fi/

Al of these devices, AFAIK, just behave like a tether-enabled phone, but without the phone (data only).

Personally, I'd explore the tethering option further using your existing handset.  It's one less gadget to carry around, and one less contract to maintain.   With tethering you should be able to make your phone behave like a mini-router, attaching (say) your iPad, your laptop and other devices via WiFi simultaneously just as if they were connecting to your DSL router.

You don't need any special SIM for tethering, but you do need a phone that supports it and a contract that permits it.  Watch out for data charges which may be different from (e.g. extra to) your normal allowance.  I think (not sure) all current Vodafone contracts allow tethering within normal data allowance.  Vodafone PAYG is not meant to allow tethering - I have tried it and it works, but I guess it may stop working at any moment if Vodafone notice I'm doing it.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »

T Mobile don't allow tethering on their unlimited plans so that rules that out. :no:

Our Full Monty plans will give you unlimited use of our internet on your phone service when you're in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone excludes using your phone as a modem (tethering) and network traffic controls apply.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »

T Mobile don't allow tethering on their unlimited plans so that rules that out. :no:

Our Full Monty plans will give you unlimited use of our internet on your phone service when you're in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone excludes using your phone as a modem (tethering) and network traffic controls apply.

Bottom line, they won't miss a trick to get more money from you.   >:(

As mentioned, I have enabled WiFi hotspot tethering on Vodafone PAYG (Samsung Galaxy Fame) and it worked OK on 3G  at least.   I'd pre-purchased a data 'freebie' and it worked all last weekend, and cost me nothing more than my 'freebie', even though it theoretically should not have worked at all.

I'm not suggesting you place any dependence on that.   It's hard for the providers to know you are tethering as it basically looks to them just like any other data, but I suspect Vodafone would find out and block it if I made it a habit.   But if have an unlocked phone you might consider taking a punt on a Vodafone PAYG SIM, just for experiments.  If tethering works (not guaranteed) it might work long enough for you to evaluate the technology and see if it lives up to expecations, without signing up to any contracts?
Pages: [1] 2