Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: So What Is In a BT Mains Conditioning Unit?  (Read 5952 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
So What Is In a BT Mains Conditioning Unit?
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:50:12 AM »

After a bit of searching, I found a forum thread in which pictures of the internals of a typical BT MCU are shown.

A hefty transformer and a large capacitor are the main components.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: So What Is In a BT Mains Conditioning Unit?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »

A similar search found this picture of a two socket unit which though blurred may be clearer.  Also the comment.

"the output is 0 - 240v with the output neutral tied to incoming ground, output has a plastic motor run cap across N/G & L." 

In my ignorance I am afraid that a 4 terminal capacitor is a bit of an unknown so can't comment.  I will look up such capacitors.

The transformer should get rid of mains spikes e.g the type due to large switched loads, and the BT units seem liked by HiFi folk for removing clicks and pops when other appliances in the house switch on and off. I have often wondered whether they would help adsl, I guess that they should not do harm and may be a benefit.  I would have bought one to try but they are heavy beasts and apparently often hum.  I am still considering  a purchase!!

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »

I have ordered one to try as an experiment.  It will be able to power the PC + screen, router and modem, but not an old laser printer (too many watts) that is connected via Ethernet to the router. I will try it powering just the modem and router first.  The printer is powered off unless in use and could be disconnected most days.

Recalling neutral experiments reported here with batteries, I am not optimistic, but printer aside it can power all directly or indirectly connected devices.  My hope is that the odd burst errors that I get about every other day or so and come with about 10 ses may be reduced. 

I have found that the v old florescent tubes in my garage which flicker a lot to get started can and do produce such spikes so there is an obvious test with them as a test source of noise.  Of course the interference may not be coming through the mains.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »

It is interesting that the information you report for the two-socket output device states that the secondary neutral is tied to ground.

In the forum thread that I mentioned, above, it is stated that the secondary winding of the one-socket output device is centre-tapped and that the centre-tap is tied to ground.

Hmm . . . Now if someone would care to donate a four-socket output device to The Cattery, then I would have a play!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything