Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-D1 *v2*  (Read 17071 times)

DrTeeth

Re: ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-D1 *v2*
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »

>> he thing that I noticed is that I like to allocate fixed IPs on my LAN *of my choosing*.

hmm  something that would annoy be too since I seem to be in the habit of doing that.  I know it was easily possible on the old netgear so cant see why they wouldn't let you do this. :/
It did eventually cave in to my will without too much of a struggle 8).
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 09:56:25 PM »

good stuff.   :thumbs:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DrTeeth

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »

I spoke too soon. The router seems to have problems obeying what is entered in the GUI.

The fixed IP issue has not been resolved and I had a devil of a job trying to get emails sent. They were being sent long after the relevant option had been deselected. There have been other issues, difficulty logging in etc.

Will try to swap it for a DG 834GT in the hope it will behave itself. I may get another v4, but as I got it from a local shop, I don't want the retailer (an excellent chap) to lose out if I return a second one.

Netgear tech support got me to reload the firmware - no change (no surprise). They now recon that I had call their 24/7 0898 number - wonder which country their support is based <shudder>.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »

Get a Netgear DG834G Ver3 from Maplin. Oh I hate to advertise Maplin but at least they have them and I expect any day now a firmware upgrade ........ 30A to be released

DrTeeth

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »

Loads of online retailers have v3s.

What will be so special about the expected firmware?

I like the tweakability of the Broadcom chipset. I can get at least 1 extra profile level with no problems.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »

>> What will be so special about the expected firmware?

iirc its to do with the bit swaps ..  in relation to those lines that had problems with the AR7 chipset issue.
If you weren't affected before then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

It is not for me to give the precise details but I believe that the told named texas AR7 chipset firmware upgrade will make routers with that configuration even more acceptable to more users. Another problem that has been detected with some routers using the Broadcom chipset for the modem is in some cases they use a different manufacturers chipset for the wireless configuration and that is the background to another source of difficulty. I shall leave it to the manufacturers to anounce when they are ready.
Kitz I dont agree with your over simplistic explanation in regard to the AR7 chipsets and their corresponding firmware.
I must also add that I stated yesterday a figure of 10db per kilometer I should have said 10db per mile as the maximum line attenuation that should be accepted. That is a figure that was accepted in addition up to the few honest staff in BT up until one year or so ago. All the acceptance tests in obtaining those figures were the result of refereed papers from such research. So I refute any critisism.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »

According to Zen on their forum, the current AR7 firmware is optimised for speed on long lines, using some deprecated frequencies, whereas Broadcom firmware is optimised for stability. The new AR7 firmware addresses this issue with the intention of getting a more stable result (at the expense of a little speed, presumably).
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »

@ graevine - Im afraid then you and me will just have to both disagree.

I was trying to make it simplistic for Guy, who I know already has a good solid understanding of adsl.
If I was wrong about the firmware upgrade then I apologise..  but I should imagine I know just about as much about it as you.
Since its not out on official release yet, nor has there been any proper feedback then I wont say anything more.
What I dont nor do I do..........  is give out veiled hints for something that I am unsure about...  nor hint at stuff which I dont understand.

As regards once again bringing up BT and the 10dB thing..  I totally disagree with you on that too. 
Just because I didnt respond in the other thread doesnt mean that I agree with you. 
The only reason I didnt respond is that the major concern of this forum is to help users..  not turn it into a  battle and snipe at BT

If you want to bring things up in another thread then so be it, but what does annoy is the taking of other threads off-topic about it- particularly bringing it up in threads where others are trying to help the OP about an unrelated question doesnt help matters.

[edited to clarify who the post was addressed to ]

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:11:18 PM by kitz »
-----

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »

Roseway, If you obtain the appropriate calibrated test equipment you would discover that the AR7 chipset produces a faster throput that the Broadcom. and that is refereed work also !!!!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 10:09:57 PM »

>> I must also add that I stated yesterday a figure of 10db per kilometer I should have said 10db per mile as the maximum line attenuation that should be accepted.

So as not to take the debate further off topic from the original post - discussion taken to this thread

Loop Loss - dB's per km

[edited url]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:28:36 PM by kitz »
-----

DrTeeth

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 10:16:36 PM »

Kitz, the link to the loop loss thread does not seem to work.

Cheers

DrT

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »

>> the link to the loop loss thread does not seem to work.

edited - thanks. :)
-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »

>> What will be so special about the expected firmware?

iirc its to do with the bit swaps ..  in relation to those lines that had problems with the AR7 chipset issue.
If you weren't affected before then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Not Just the AR7 issue.

The new firmware has fixed the NAT and routing issues you see with Netgears. The UPNP is also working properly. There have been some major changes to the Firmware and so you really should see a difference.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 12:10:43 PM »

Not Just the AR7 issue.
The new firmware has fixed the NAT and routing issues you see with Netgears. The UPNP is also working properly.

Thanks for the update azzaka - that info wasnt mentioned earlier... does Saffy know about those too?

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=3238116

-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything