Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-D1 *v2*  (Read 17073 times)

DrTeeth

ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-D1 *v2*
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »

Does anybody know where I can get a v2 version of this router? Zyxel tells me it has a faster CPU than the original. No retailer that I have come across mentions a v2, so I need help.

TIA

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-D1 *v2*
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:11:51 AM »

Are the V1 and V2 the same price etc... like the Netgear DG834 v1,v2 etc series? If so, you'd probably be better off phoning and actually speak to a retailer to ask if they are shipping the V2 at all, and get a promise that if they did ship and it wasn't the V2 you could return it for a refund?
Chris

DrTeeth

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »

The retailers generally don't have a clue. One has said, "the V1s were discontinued when the ROHS compliancy laws came into affect, which I think was August 2006. They are therefore unavailable, and we only stock the V2s".

Zyxel says that v2s are not on sale in the UK :doh: :hmm: !!!
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »

hmm conflicting advice indeed.

I must admit I havent looked too hard, but I dont seem to be able to find anything specific on the differences between v1 + v2 - since they both appear to use the same datasheet. The only real difference I could see was the firmware in use.

P-660HW-D1  3.40(AGL.4)C0 N/A 02-26-2007
P-660HW-D1 v2  3.40(ATA.0)C0 N/A 04-26-2007

Dunno which store it was that told you they only stock v2s..  so as chris says get a promise from them if it turned out not to be v2 which they seem confident in stating, then you could return the router for a refund.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DrTeeth

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

Hi Kitz,

It was broadbandbuyer.co.uk that told me they only had the V2s in stock.

I think I will hold them to their 'promise.

Cheers

DrT

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »

I would
- although I dont have any personal experience of broadbandbuyer Im afraid.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...
although I am curious as to why you chose that particular router - Is there supposed to be something new/good in it that we all may be interested in knowing about?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

DrTeeth

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:30:46 PM »

Hi Kitz,

I currently have an ST 585 v6. I am not averse to having to use a CLi in principle, but I narks me no end   >:( when the documentation is terse and even simple things like changing DNS servers cannot be done through the GUI. I'm not tinkering as much as I'd like  :(.

I was looking for a fully functional GUI (though the Zyxel still has a CLi) and I have found it in the 660. I have looked though several manuals and found the Zyxel has the best documentation, value for money and responsive tech support. It is the only router that I have come across that actually details the number of NAT sessions available, and the GUI lets one choose a maximum value per ethernet port. Has good content control that does not rely on thrid party, subscription-based service etc.

I currently have a profile of 5500 (33dB att) and can get to 6000 with DMT. Pushing it I can get 6500. TBH, it ain't worth the weeks of angst waiting for the SNRM to drop on its own if it goes pear shaped.

As long as it syncs at 5500 profile rates minimum, I'll be happy  ;D.

Cheers

DrT

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 01:23:44 AM »

>> I was looking for a fully functional GUI (though the Zyxel still has a CLi) and I have found it in the 660.

Ahh thats fair enough..  I was only being nosey really  :D

I can to a certain extent understand where you're coming from... even worse is the routers with even very little CLI info :)   

>> TBH, it ain't worth the weeks of angst waiting for the SNRM to drop on its own if it goes pear shaped.

true :/

>> As long as it syncs at 5500 profile rates minimum, I'll be happy

at the risk of repeating myself...  good luck and let us know how it goes.... 
aside from that,  feedback is always useful to others who may be looking at different routers :)

-----

DrTeeth

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »

Will do, once I've a chance to have a good play with it  :).

DrTeeth

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »

Howdy all.

Ended up with a Netgear DG 834G *v4*. If anybody is interested I managed to find a reliable supply in my local computer shop, two doors down the road from my practice. Details via PM on request.

The Zyxel looked good but the company was clueless in the extreme. There is a current v2, which is a minor revision of the original and there is a v2 in the pipeline which will be a major revision. The current router will not longer have any new firmwares released - damn poor show for a piece of kit that is plentiful in the pipeline.

Back to the Netgear...it is supported by DMT v8 and I tried this just after I set up the router (used DG 834 GT instructions). Performance is good so far. Seems snappier than the ST 585. Some things don't seem to work as expected, but that could be me...it's early days but very happy so far.

TTFN.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 10:21:48 AM »

Thanks for the update Dr.T.

It will be interesting to see how you get on - but really 'we' also need someone on a long dodgy line to really test this new router against Thomson and 2Wire etc.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »

Thanks for the feedback DrTeeth.

>> Some things don't seem to work as expected,

Was there anything in particular?

>> Seems snappier than the ST 585.

For some reason I seem to prefer my Voyager 2110 (broadcom) than the ST.  Dont get me wrong the ST works fine and I dont really have any major complaints with it, and it does one thing that the voyager cant do - such as tell me the chipset at the dslam... but... theres just something about the voyager that I like.

As regards to different routers on different lines, this really is a minefield, particularly when Ive seen things like the old frog modem retain syncing, or even the v2,v3 dg834g will increase stability.  Seems sometime a case of suck and see which is best for your own line... but unfortunately not everyone has the ability to test different routers to see which works best :(
-----

DrTeeth

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »

@Kitz
The thing that I noticed is that I like to allocate fixed IPs on my LAN *of my choosing*. I could not quite get this to work with the Netgear. One can edit the entry, but I did not reboot the router (manual does not say I have to) just the PC itself.

uPnP does not seem to work too well. Not to fussed as it is much easier to set up port forwarding with the Netgear and it works. Could never get it to work with the ST.

That's it so far. I'm enthralled with what the GUI lets me do compared with the ST.

Cheers

DrT

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »

>> he thing that I noticed is that I like to allocate fixed IPs on my LAN *of my choosing*.

hmm  something that would annoy be too since I seem to be in the habit of doing that.  I know it was easily possible on the old netgear so cant see why they wouldn't let you do this. :/
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »

Port forwarding can be made to work with the ST, but the GUI is truly awful. I managed to make it work with my ST576, but it was a bit of a head scratcher working out how.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3