Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: overhead copper, chipsets/modems etc  (Read 10019 times)

badassgeek

• Just arrived
overhead copper, chipsets/modems etc
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »

I know there's a lot out there about sync speeds and chipsets etc, but I haven't seen much on copper overhead lines in particular. That's what I'm on and I'm getting constant drop outs, and some unexpected latency, inconsistencies over resyncs etc. The line is adsl2+ and both my gear and the isp issue adsl kit are dropping out. Whilst we're on this topic, anyone know if there's a theoretical or rough max speed for this type of line?

I just moved in november and the only thing that has changed is I'm now using overhead lines (according to the engineer who fitted the phoneline it's a thick copper line from the 80's) and obviously a different exchange. My ISP uses talktalk at the exchange, and I know they usually use infineon chipsets but according to my isp issue router the other end is a broadcom in my case. I don't know what chip was used for the exchange at the previous house but my line there was brilliant.

I have a buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H (lantiq/infineon chipset) using openwrt firmware which worked perfectly on my previous line and gave good sync speeds. It still does give higher sync speeds by about 0.5-1mbit actually, but it drops out several times a day. There could be issues with this router as another openwrt user has told me it's unstable for him on adsl2+, but like I said adsl2+ was fine for me before, I just wish I'd asked the bloke for more details now.

The isp issued Technicolor (thompson) TG582n is using a broadcom chip (6328 according to http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=BCM_routers) and holds the line for 3-4 days before dropping out. One of the things with this router is that I don't think it's really intended for a household full of gamers (who are gaming and voice streaming at the same time etc), so in any case I need something a bit better than this. 

According to sam knows the exchange is less than a mile away. My downstream attenuation is lower than 24db with both routers so that seems right.

As the isp and openreach are so far unable to solve the problem I want to try replacing the kit as a last ditch attempt.

I know that's a lot of back story, but basically I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for chipsets that ought to be solid on this type of line. Instead of getting an all in one router/modem, I want to get a bridge modem that is solid so I can just put in my wndr3700 I have from a couple years back when I was using cable and be sure of wireless performance. So long as the modem/router can be put in to bridged mode using pppoe bridging or else pppoe to pppoa and doesn't give me two lots of NAT or something else to interfere with routing/firewalling it will be fine for me. I have a short contract, so will be happy to just unplug a bridged modem later on and use my WAN router on a cable service if it really has to come to that.

I read trendchip are 'good for short lines' but that's vague and nobody is claiming they're a rock as far as I can tell. I see a couple of tp-link modems with these chips that come highly recommended when used solely in bridge mode, but I think the line needs to be really good in the first place for trendchip to be any use. Can anyone verify that?

I know broadcom keep getting a lot of praise, and my own broadcom is doing well in comparison and I've seen a d-link 320b but as far as I can tell there is no good rep for this modem like some routers have.

I'm considering getting a draytek 120 v2, which is lantiq/infineon as a lot people are saying this router syncs high and is stable. Though, I'm seeing my buffalo (also lantiq) torn to shreds by isp issue kit, so obviously I have some doubts. If I had a good idea it would hold on a line like mine, this is what I would prefer to get because of the pppoa bridge option.

Anyway, thanks for reading and suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:47:59 PM by badassgeek »

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: overhead copper, chipsets/modems etc
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »

Two points

There were some inconclusive postings in this forum suggesting that the TG582n was under- powered in the CPU for fast ADSL/VDSL when  the child filter is also in use.

You don't mention any anti interference precautions you have taken.

Both these might contribute to your problems.

badassgeek

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »

Thanks for the reply,

The TG582n router is using firmware version 10.2.0.B, and I have not setup the content filter. Most of the feautures I can disable, I have already and the content filter seems to be disabled from the web interface, at least it says there is no address based filtering in use and unknown sites are allowed.  I am not familiar with the commands via telnet for this router yet, so if that's something that needs disabling via telnet I haven't done that yet and would appreciate any instructions (or a link) to disable that or other unwanted junk as I'm not a fan of 'features' anyway.

I use a shielded adsl cable from belkin which is up to cat5e standard, I've removed all energy saving bulbs and any possible interfering equipment from the vicinity of the line all around the house. There is perhaps noise on the line as I do hear a low buzz on it, but according to the SFI engineer that came here there was no noise so I assume that's within 'acceptable levels'. I have two faceplates, austin taylor and xte-2005 clone from run-it and I've tried both with and without the shielded cable and notice no improvements in stability.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:36:42 PM by badassgeek »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »

I think before you do any more modem swapping it would be helpful to get some performance stats, which might point towards the reason for the dropouts. If you've still got the TG582N connected, you could install DSLstats to monitor the connection. A day's worth of graphs and other data will help a great deal.

http://dslstats.plainroad.me.uk
  Eric

badassgeek

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »

I think before you do any more modem swapping it would be helpful to get some performance stats, which might point towards the reason for the dropouts. If you've still got the TG582N connected, you could install DSLstats to monitor the connection. A day's worth of graphs and other data will help a great deal.

http://dslstats.plainroad.me.uk

Thanks, I didn't realise there was something like this, apart from in fancy routers or I'd have used it. I've set it monitoring and will see what happens, and now I think of it the openwrt might have something similar so I will try the buffalo when this drops out.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »

Yes I agree with roseway,  some data could be very useful - wait and see.

The only thing which occurs to me is that "overhead copper" = aerial !

i.e. you might be picking up interference from some distance not just your own appliances. In which case I would be inclined to put an RF3 in the line, close to the modem input. BUT wait and see the log first .

badassgeek

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »

Yes I agree with roseway,  some data could be very useful - wait and see.

The only thing which occurs to me is that "overhead copper" = aerial !

i.e. you might be picking up interference from some distance not just your own appliances. In which case I would be inclined to put an RF3 in the line, close to the modem input. BUT wait and see the log first .

Yes, I thought the line might be slightly worse when we were moving in, but I assumed as I have good kit it would come down to just using a slightly slower speed and I was prepared to put up with an unusual number provided it was 12Mbit+. Cable from vm is available, but I wasn't feeling desperate enough at the time :p

Speaking of aerials, our TV aerial runs parallel to the drop down cable for the phone line (I say phone line, but we only use the adsl) as they are both running into this room (there is no tv or other stuff like that).

Another source of interference could be the industrial units over the road which can be no more than 18 meters away. The phone pole itself is about 12-15 meteres away from a halfords garage and other units a little further than that.

Other than that, a tree is close to the line with a few branches that could touch it if it was windy (nearest one just under a foot away maybe), I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

There has been bad weather, including a storm but the line has been bad since November when it was fitted. The weather hasn't always been this bad, and it's settling down but the line is not.

I have a pair of ferrites on the adsl cable at either end too, which seems to help a weird latency problem I have. The issue with the latency is about 4 out of 5 times when I sync the line has an extra 14ms of latency added to the line which I don't think is congestion. That is to say, if it syncs 'right' for that 1 out of five I would get a more usual RTT when I ping say a public nameserver that I know is okay - usual being 28ms since the ISP put on interleaving to try to solve the problem (previously 9.5ms non-interleaved). Adding the ferrites to the adsl cable improved that, and more often now it will sync with normal 27ms round trip times rather than 40ms.

What is an RF3?

I did get some data, I'm sifting through it so I'll add that in another post. So far I see the downstream SNR sometimes dropping by more than 1db and there are a lot of FEC errors and some CRC errors, but much more of them when the SNR is dropping. Using the xte-2005 and the adsl cable with the ferrites so far it's better but I've tested that in a different time frame.

I'm curious about this faceplate http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html, as it includes an RF filter that is seperate from the other mode chokes and I don't see any other faceplates like that. Does anyone know if these work well?

Thanks for the replies so far, appreciate the constructive input :-)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:45:50 PM by badassgeek »

badassgeek

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:06:25 PM »

I couldn't figure out how to link in images properly (new here and forum noobish), so I attached some of the results from dslstats.

I had a look into the possible power issue with the technicolor tg582n, and found this http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#cpu, and tried turning off the power saving features as suggested but the router became unstable for me so it didn't improve it but I don't think there's any power issues for me anyway. I'm not sure which set of tests reflect when I tried that (it was late) and it became unstable, but I'll post one set from when I think the line lost sync (test1). I just included basics for this, put in some more in test2 as I took snapshots of important changes this time.

The average errors:

Average error rates over a 24 hour period

24 hours starting 16 Feb 2014 14:20:23

Per second   Per minute   Per hour     Per day

CRC   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0      0.01      0.44      10.5   

FEC   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0.02      1.19      71.6      1718   

HEC   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0      0      0      0   

ES   Up   0      0      0      0   

Basically a lot of errors but when the SNR went down, the amount of errors went up.

In the second test I put in the xte-2005 and the shielded adsl cable with two ferrites on it. I don't have the latency problem like before, I'm sure it will come back at some point but the averages are lower (test2):

24 hours starting 17 Feb 2014 14:20:42

Down   0      0.01      0.41      9.79   

Down   0      0.26      15.3      367   

HEC   Up   0      0      0      0   

ES   Up   0      0      0      0   
   Down   0      0      0.20      4.90

This is over a longer time period than the last test, but I still think the errors are less.

Posting a fair few hours later but these are the stats now from the web interface:

Uptime:   0 days, 18:09:38

DSL Type:   ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   973 / 12,189

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:   234.03 / 2.66

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.3 / 19.8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.3 / 23.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   14.9 / 15.0

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   3 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 677

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 5

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 9

I've had a listen on the quiet line test again, but with another handset and it's quieter with this handset but still with a low hum. So, maybe the line isn't that capable or could it still be noise/interference?

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »

RF3 -   see http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BT80BRF3.html
For how it works see earlier postings.

Filtered faceplate is good  !  saves external microfilters from damage for one thing but doesn't include an RF3,  only in the I-plate which doesn't have microfilters !   

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »

Do you have a snapshot of the SNR margin graph covering a time period of a couple of hours or so? This would give a lot more useful information. Your stats indicate an upstream and downstream SNRM of 15 dB, but if those values actually fluctuate significantly over time, that would indicate varying interference levels and may suggest a possible source of the interference.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »

Filtered faceplate is good  !  saves external microfilters from damage for one thing but doesn't include an RF3,  only in the I-plate which doesn't have microfilters !

I thought it was disclosed that the Mk 2 SSFP does, indeed, contain the RF3's components?  :-\  Or am I imagining it?  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »

It was I that put that info up I think, B*Cat ??

I haven't the time to go trawling through my historical posts though.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »

"I thought it was disclosed that the Mk 2 SSFP does, indeed, contain the RF3's components?  :-\  Or am I imagining it?  ??? "

I thought the point about the Mk2 faceplate was that it was suitable for VDSL i.e. to 17.7 MHz ?   and though the RF3 had more bandwidth than the RF2 it wouldn't cover that. In fact the bandwidth ratio needed  for VDSL is extremely wide  for any such device and the RF3 is a low frequency core design i.e. not sectionalised or distributed ?

As we are talking ADSL it isn't vital for this thread but I'd like to be sure.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »

Don't know if will help you, JGO ........... but here's a link to a link  :)

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13092.0

badassgeek

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »

I have a BT iplate. Since you mentioned it, I put it in today to see what would happen. It's in the graphs, but it's easy for me to see less errors occured with the xte-2005, than with iplate + adsl filter.

Down   0      0.13      8.03      193   

Down   0.10      6.04      362      8697   

The line can drop any time of day, and the best I've seen is 5 days uptime

So is the consensus the MK2 plate is better than a run-it xte-2005 for keeping out RF on adsl2+? Or would I maybe be better to do xte-2005 + RF3?
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything