Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ethernet over powerline hardware  (Read 18176 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Ethernet over powerline hardware
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with Kitz comments that if you have problems with these adapters there could well be other issues affecting the performance. I use these now and have an average FEC rate of 50 per minute and about 70000 per day, and when I tested without the powerlines the error rate did not change. Admittedly I am on ADSL2+ and for my line it is probably running at the practical limit of speed around 8meg down.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet but isn't the source of interference from these powerline devices more likely to be the switch mode PSU injecting hash into the mains? In which case no amount of shielding or twisting of data cables is going to be effective. Just my three pen'orth. Tony

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »

Another thought that occurs (leading on from Tony's) would be the possibility of a ring main with a break in one of the conductors.   That generally worsens any mains bourne interference, either from the PSUs or from the ethernet traffic, as the current paths within the cables are no longer balanced.   ISTR in the days of old CRT tvs, such faults could generate a strong enough magnetic field to visibly disrupt the picture by pulling the scanning beam.

If that were the case it would want fixing urgently as it presents fire hazards from overloaded cables.  But probably no need to panic unless there's any other reason to suspect a mains fault, it may also just be the case that the bandwidth of FTTC demands such higher frequencies as to be more vulnerable.   

Lucky are the folks that can put it to the test with FTTC speeds, compared to us souls under life-sentence of basic ADSL max.  :(

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with Kitz comments that if you have problems with these adapters there could well be other issues affecting the performance.

I don't know what the other issues that may be effecting the HG612 when the poweline adapter is plugged into the mains ?, the test last night was the powerline adapter plugged into the mains in 5 different locations around the house and the ethernet cable was not even connected to the unit.

My house is a bungalow and all mains wireing was replaced in 1996 and the circuit breaker board was updated in 2001.

I have had very stable VDSL BroadBand sync in the last couple of months since the removal of poweline adapters, now don't get me wrong I think it works well as a substitute for direct Lan to Lan cable but I can put my hand on my heart and say they cause more hassle on my VDSL BroadBand parameters and also my MutliBand Radio scanner is also affected by the PowerLine Adapters and it uses battery's not the mains  ;)

look at the two pics before and after the powerline adapters was connected ->

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:58:32 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

Update received the 6.3V 1500uf capacitors 4 of them for £2.19 only need 1 for (TP-LINK) TL-PA211 circuit board thats good incase the working one decides to die.

all went well as per http://www.kphonline.co.uk/2012/12/repairing-a-dead-tp-link-pa211-powerline-ethernet-adapter-part1/ but was finding the solder on the negative wire on capacitor was not taking hold to circuit board after 2-3 attempts had to scratch around the hole for the solder to take hold.

It's now working again  ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:54:26 PM by NewtronStar »

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 07:29:12 AM »

@NewtronStar

I would be interested to hear if the interference on your multiband scanner and the stats from your router have improved since replacing the electrolytic cap's in the power line adapters.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »

@NewtronStar

I would be interested to hear if the interference on your multiband scanner and the stats from your router have improved since replacing the electrolytic cap's in the power line adapters.

Unfortunately replacing the capacitor has not improved those errors, once the adapter is plugged in to mains the fec's start rising and errored seconds and CRC's HEC's also start showing up.

I am not going to be using these powerline adapters i'll be sticking to wi-fi or if I can get my hands on a different brand of PowerLine Adapters and do some testing  :-\

EDIT is the interference coming from powerline Adapters then going down the mains and then the PSU unit of HG612 is picking this up as Interference or is The Adapters causeing a broadcast from house to say 5 to 50 meters away to DP then back into house via drop wire which the HG612 see's as interference  :-\
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:35:37 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything