Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wiring Changes  (Read 3070 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Wiring Changes
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »

Hi All,

I'm pretty convinced that the internal phone wiring in the house is contributing to a degradation in the performance of my fibre broadband. The currently disconnect master socket in my kitchen is only about 1 metre from the BT66 outside. The active master socket is up in my living room, and I'm sure this run of cabling has an issue somewhere as when the modem has previously been connected only to the master socket in the kitchen it has performed much better.

I'm considering re-connecting the master socket in the kitchen and putting the modem next to it. If I then connect the living room socket as an extension will this 'bad wiring' still have an effect on the broadband performance? The reason being it will be more convenient and neater to keep the phone out of the kitchen.

Finally, I recently replaced the VDSL cable with a shorter Cat5 version from a seller on eBay (mr..telephone). In his listing he mentioned it was possible to cut off the RJ45 connector and use the A and B punchdown terminals inside the VDSL faceplate instead. This will give a neater finish to the job as I'll be able to cut the cable to the exact length and it will look neater. Are there any issues doing this?

Many Thanks...
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Wiring Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »

"If I then connect the living room socket as an extension will this 'bad wiring' still have an effect on the broadband performance? "

Very Probably !

Although it doesn't directly answer your question you might like to consider a VDSL filtered faceplate which means your house wiring will be isolated from the master socket for VDSL but remains available for 'phone.  This gives you an extra, and perhaps simpler option.

This should allow the kitchen socket  to function as master socket for VDSL but doesn't have to be used for 'phone;  you can plug it into any extension. If I remember there is some useful information on this device in the Kitz notes.

PS     see http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html
for details of the Mk2(VDSL) faceplate - kitz pages deal with Mk1 ADSL but very similar.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:33:42 PM by JGO »

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Yes, that's what I was kind of alluding to in my badly worded initial post! I would wire the extension to the  punchdown connectors on the "lower-half" of the faceplate which attaches to the front of the VDSL faceplate.

My hope is that I'd still be able to use the "bad" wiring for the phone, but it not have an effect on the broadband.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »

"My hope is that I'd still be able to use the "bad" wiring for the phone, but it not have an effect on the broadband."

Short of physical damage, which would screw up the phone too, should be no problem.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »

Thanks very much for the quick response... finally are the A & B punchdown connectors ok to use for the cable going to the modem?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

It would be worth making sure that the 'bad' wiring has the correct connections, i.e. connected to terminals 2 and 5 at each socket using a single twisted pair (which would conventionally be the blue-white/white-blue pair).
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »

Thanks very much for the quick response... finally are the A & B punchdown connectors ok to use for the cable going to the modem?

Usual practice for OR engineers would be to take the cable into a data-socket, but as it's your own preference and you are doing the work, you can take the cable directly to the modem from the 'Punch downs'.  :)