Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: On-line radio problem.  (Read 19767 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: On-line radio problem.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »

If your search engine has changed to "search ya", it's quite likely you've got some malware on your computer that's changed it.

If I were you, I'd download Malwarebytes and run it, make sure it's updated itself, then do a full scan of your system and see what it finds.

Malwarebytes is free and very good, you can download it safely from here :

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

You may still need to manually change your browser search engine settings, start page etc afterwards.   :(

Ian

I think you need to re-read the post again  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »

I think you need to re-read the post again  :hmm:

Oops, yes  :-[

Ian

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »

:)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 12:58:48 AM »

What make and model is your Chrome book ?.

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 08:15:54 AM »

;D Thank you Ian, I'm not surprised you missed my Malwarebytes mention in that diatribe !   

Mike   - My Chromebook is a Samsung Wifi  - I'm afraid it's a bit like cars  - I usually say "it was a red one"  ::) I think it's in the '5' models  !   

It's today that matters !

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

Sorry to go on about this but  ......  I can get R5 Live play again but not Live.  I have been mulling this over through lunch ! and just wonder if there could be a conflict between Chrome and the BBC 5 Live radio streaming      ?   Only because I can't get the Live 5 strealmng on the Chromebook nor the PC where the  Chrome  browser is installed, although I'm using Opera in the main.   I don't want to dis-install the Chrome Browser unless someone knows a technical reason for a conflict. ( I don't understand nearly enough to work that one out  ;D).   Another 'coincidence' with the timing of the loss of R5 Live (I've used it for years prior to last Tuesday) is that there were Microsoft Updates !  is it possible that one of these could be a culprit -if so, which one ?  My Windows OS is XP SP3.

I've noted the comments about Linux    :o :o :o  that frightened me ...  where, how, do I start ??  Please bear in mind I'm 'technically challenged'   :lol:

Would be interested if there are any thoughts on the above possible conflicts - very many thanks again  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

Do you by any chance have an internet radio? That would provide a way to listen to any of your favourite radio stations independently of the PC, and would be a check that live radio streaming actually works for you.
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »

Hello Eric,   No we haven't but it's always a possibility  ;D  Can you recommend one and  do they have a headphone connection ?    I know nothing about internet radios.

Thank you for the suggestion   ... hubby will be delighted I'm getting  'shoppy' help  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »

Kate, this is the one I've got in the kitchen: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio/radios/radios/sandstrom-sdabxir13-internet-radio-black-brown-20841557-pdt.html . I don't know if the same or similar model is available in France. It's got FM and DAB as well, and it does have a headphone connection. Roberts also do very competent models. I would avoid the cheaper models.

Just so you know what you might be getting into, internet radios connect to your internet service by WiFi, and it's quite easy to set up. Some models also have the possibility of a direct wired connection to your broadband router. Selecting radio stations is a matter of first selecting a geographical region or style, etc., then scrolling down a list of stations to find the ones you want. There's usually a BBC section which you can choose so you can home in on those stations quickly. There are literally thousands of stations available, so you can spend waste many happy hours looking through them.
  Eric

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »

Thank you Eric, definitely food for thought.

Meanwhile, with all the faffing about I've had with the on-line  Radio problem I have found myself with 2 new browsers having ditched Firefox.  What is the matter with all these browsers that they are all (it seems to me anyway) eager to clone each other.  Hence I'm going to post a query about Opera,but I think I should post it in General Software  .... so I'm off over there now  :)

Just as a PS to the Radio problem  ...  interestingly I have just started to listen to Radio 4 (on listen again) on Chrome browser on PC  --  there is a lot of interference - switched to Opera and it's as clear as a bell  ---- which make me wonder about   my Chrome thoughts from above.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:48:46 PM by Scottiesmum »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

Mike   - My Chromebook is a Samsung Wifi  - I'm afraid it's a bit like cars  - I usually say "it was a red one"  ::) I think it's in the '5' models  !   

Is this the one you have ?  But this is a Black one  ;D
  http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/laptop/3279510/samsung-chromebook-series-5-laptop-review/?pn=1

Because this is a Android operating system (like Linux  ;) ) I do not think you need 'Malwarebytes' as it's very protected.
see this post off the Chrome forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question....will malwarebytes free install on my chromebook and work? 

05/06/2013
Answer1.... Malwarebytes won't install on a Chromebook, but thankfully you don't need it as ChromeOS is already secured from malware by design.

Answer2....Chrome OS has baked in security from viruses and malware so you don't need malwarebytes or antivirus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I think you have done with 'Malwarebytes' is to delete some of the vital parts of the operating system / Firefox etc. and that's why you are having all these problems with your browsers on the chromebook .

I will download Chrome os and install it on a 'Virtual Computer' and have a play to see what I can find out. :)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »

Mike, I've confused you   ..... Malwarebytes is on my PC  NOT my Chrome book.   Chrome books don't get viruses   - one of the main reasons I opted for one !

However, when I bought the Chrome book, I decided to download the Chrome browser onto the PC  ..and synchronised the two  ---    everything was fine until the Search Ya thing appeared on the PC  in the Speed Dial pages !   I got rid of Speed Dial, did a scan with Malwarebytes (on the PC) and got rid of the nasties.
Because the synchronising had put Speed Dial onto the Chrome book I was bothered that it too may have been affected  ...BUT  it hasn't  -  also there is a very good back up team with the Chrome book who replied  almost immediately to my query about this, thus alleviating my worries about the Chrome book.

The flipping radiio 5 live problem  is still there  :-X  I think it's going to be a long job.  I can get some of the R5 Live listen again braodcasts, but not all   ....?  Still can't listen to PMQ's from last Wednesday     ---  :shrug2: :shrug2:

Thanks again, don't go to too much trouble re Firefox ..I'm happy with Opera 12 and the Chrome Browser   plus my Chromebook   ...  It's the radio things that's hassling me - but hey ho  !  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »

Mike, I've confused you   ..... Malwarebytes is on my PC  NOT my Chrome book.   Chrome books don't get viruses   - one of the main reasons I opted for one !

:-[

Are you saying this link will not work in France  :o
http://www.internetradiouk.com/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:01:43 PM by tickmike »

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »

For R5 Live it wont work anywhere Internationally  :'( ......  I have just received this  :-

NEWSFLASH  ***      I'm digital editor at BBC Radio 5 live. Due to rights restrictions we have to block international listening for any programmes that include any Olympics coverage - whether that's commentary or interviews from Sochi. As we're a live network we're never 100% sure when we'll be crossing to Sochi, so this means we geo-block all programmes, bar those on between 22.30 GMT and 05.00 GMT. This is the same as it was with London 2012.

I'm aware this does cause frustration for our overseas listeners, but we need to make the restrictions to comply with our rights agreement with the IOC.

If you do miss any of our programmes many are available in a podcast format. They're available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/5live

Thanks

Errr   .... We're watching the Olympics on French TV   :lol:     but at least that explains it  -- a pity the Beeb didn't explain that with my first enquiry on Day one !
I spotted a blog regarding everyone who is having problems with the NEW radio player in the UK and thought I would just post my problem with the case reference I had from the Beeb   ---and voila !  I had the above reply.

Still doesn't explain PMQ's  - but I suppose they might have interrupted it to announce something important from Sochi  :-X    Anyway I will await the closing ceremony  ;D   

Thanks to all for the offered suggestions  -  and remember  --- don't mention the games   :D

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »

Not wanting to confuse things further, but have you considered a satellite dish & suitable receiver?

With a cheap free-to-air satellite receiver and a dish pointing at the Astra 2 range of satellites located at 28.2E (where UK Sky subscribers dishes point) you should be able to get a good range of UK TV and Radio broadcasts.

Although the broadcasts are aimed at the UK, the footprint is such that it can be received in other European countries, though the further south you are from the UK, the larger the dish you might need.

There's a map and a table suggesting dish sizes here, should this option interest you :

http://www.nsateurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=69

I've got a large-ish dish on a motor, and I can do the opposite to what you require - in the UK I can watch and listen to many hundreds of TV and radio stations from a variety of European countries.

Ian
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything