Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: On-line radio problem.  (Read 19771 times)

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
On-line radio problem.
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »

Since the beginning of this week I have been unable to access Radio 5 live on the BBC iPlayer on my PC and the Chrome book.  Never had this  problem before apart from the odd gltch.  I can listen to Radios  1,2,3,4 and all the others  but not R5  :-X   I telephoned the BBC the other day to ask if they knew of any reason why -   ::) ::) ::)   there isn't !!
The chap said  " it's because you are not in the UK  "     I then explained that I was full aware that when there were sporting events being broadcast the Rights issue came into being and blocked the transmission - that causes me no problem at all !    I explained to him that I could listen perfectly well, on-line - to the other stations, and that I realised that the iPlayer TV was not available because of rights issues !  he then said  "have you got an internet connection"   !!!  At this point I realised I was going nowhere.    I know that the BBC have recently changed the position of their satellite but I cannot believe that this could cause loss of transmssion by the Internet - especially when I'm able to listen to all the other radio stations.   

I'm completely baffled !  I can listen to some of R5 Live's transmissions on the 'listen again' service but not all   ...PMQ's for instance  :D  perhaps they think I'm spying  !!!!  very strange, and I just wondered if anyone here has any knowledge if R 5 live's transmission are on another  ( should I say waveband  !!??)   than say R4.

Any help to get around this would be very much appreciated, and thank you in advance   :flower:
It's today that matters !

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: On-line radio problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »

What exactly is happening when you try to listen live to R5?

There was a problem with the radio player and the Chrome web browser, but this was affecting all live stations and appears to be fixed now (fault was that instead of opening small window with the radio player in, it would just download a small file instead).

Ian

Modified to add :

If you type where am I into Google on your errant PC, does it display a map that's approximately correct?  ie at least the right county/country?

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »

Thank you for your response  .....  I go to R5 Live home page and click on 'listen live' -  before this week,  a smaller window would open and voila ! the programme was broadcasting.  On occasions when sporting events were being broadcast I would get the message   " Unfortunately, due to rights issues the current sports programme cannot be broadcast on this platform "    I fully understand that..... BUT  now  I get the  message continuously even though there is no sports programme being broadcast  :-\       As I have said previously  I can get ALL the other BBC radio channels. Strange isn't it ! 

I do have a problem on the Chrome browser on the PC with constant interference on ALL radio channels - to avoid this I use Firefox to listen to the radio.   On my Chromebook there is no such interference so I wonder if there is a conflict with  Chrome and my PC. ?   That particular problem doesn't worry me, as I can avoid it with Firefox  ...but not being able to listen to R5 Live is the MAIN thing I would like to solve - if possible. 

Many thanks  :)     Kate

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

Hello Kate.
I have just done a test for you. :)
I think they have some problems with the 'New' iplayer Radio, I use Firefox and I have just done a test on that and the iplayer radio does not load  :o.
I listen normally with 'Opera' browser and the iplayer just tried R5 Live home page and click on listen and a second pop up radio window opens and loads and I can hear the broadcast ok, so it's something to do with Firefox being over protective  ;).
Do you have a place on your C/Book were you can download a opera browser and install it ?.
re."interference'' I do not think it Electrical interference, I think it's some kind of instability between the Chrome browser and the audio output of the computer (remember the noise you got with your cordless headphones once ).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »

It works normally here with Firefox, so perhaps it is a browser configuration problem.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »

Ok it works in Firefox if you have 'Flash' set to load all the time in 'Add-ons' .

I normally do Not have Flash to load 'without asking permission' (To stop loading cr@p  ;) ).

If you do Not want the radio player to open in a separate window just Right click and select 'open in a Tab'
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »

Firstly, thank you for the offered help.     I've been ever so busy  !! :)

1)  On the Chromebook I can't download Opera browser.  There is no version available for the Chromebook, which I surmise is because it's the 'opposition' .
2)  Downloaded  Opera onto Desk top PC   ...      still get the same R5 Live problem  ...  the Rights Issue message which sounds like it's underwater -  which it may well be    ;D
3)  In Firefox  when I look at Plug Ins there is no Adobe Flash player plug in showing  !  but it is on my computer definitely.    I actually decided to reset Firefox to clean it up in case I'd messed up something ... but, even following that, same problem with R5 Live -same message - same garbled sound.

4)  On my Chromebook - exactly the same problem same garbled message   ????   so it can't be my PC  - can it ?    I can still get all other BBC radio but not 5 live.

Hubby has just said,  and I quote   ---    " for goodness sake, it if you can get the rest what are you bothering about "    :-X :-X  MEN !   :D   perhaps you feel the same  ;)

Oooo it's so frustrating   ...  could it possibly be anything to do with the satellite change-over on the BBC which took place this week  -  I thought that didn't affect the 'net'  :-\

Many thanks again :flower:

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »

Is this any good Kate ?.      http://www.internetradiouk.com/bbc-5-live-sports/
It takes some time to load but it seems to work . ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »

Nice link mike.

A note for SM,

At first I couldnt get it to work in FF and I didnt know why as there was nothing to indicate why it wasnt working.
It was only when I was browsing around some of their other pages that I found out I needed a FF addin for Media Player.   

This can be downloaded from here
http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/Windows-Media-Player-Firefox-Plugin-Download

the chrome equivalent is here
http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/wmp-extension-for-chrome

In Firefox  when I look at Plug Ins there is no Adobe Flash player plug in showing  !  but it is on my computer definitely.

Its possible that you have the Flash standalone player installed, yet you still need to have the firefox plugin
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-flash-plugin-view-videos-animations-games

Whilst I was looking for the link for the firefox flash plugin I came across this which may (or may not) be of some use.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bbc-radio-tuner/?src=search

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »

The link should get around the 'rights issues' also another way would be to use a VPN or a Proxy connection. ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »

The thought of a proxy did occur, but trying to get a decentUK proxy I would imagine isnt the easiest task.

In any case, the BBC aint stupid and they have a proxy blacklist thats continually updated.  Not sure if it would be the best solution for kate as it would be a constant game of cat and mouse.  Theres possibly some decent ones out there for ex-pats but require a subscription.

It does seem rather strange that this has occurred in the same week as the BBC changed satellite, but unless Im being stupid, I cant think of any this would affect i-player and the likes. GeoIP is the normal method and why even some brits get accidentally caught up.  But that doesnt make sense either because surely they would block the whole lot and not just one station.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »

Thank you so much fir the replies.  I will be looking at the links etc later and report back.  Still no joy on Chromebook with R5 Live which leads me to the conclusion that the BBC are, for some bizarre reason blocking it  :-\ I don't want to listen to their sport broadcasts, we have more than enough sports channels on our French TV set up .  This morning I'm having nightmare problems with my PC  hence using my Chromebook at the moment listening to R2 live    ;D  Firefox now only displays the speed dial page but no address bar, I'm running malwarebytes as I have a horrible feeling  lll

Be back later - possibly with lots of problems   :D many thanks again.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »

I don't want to listen to their sport broadcasts.

If you just change there URL  and take off the last part you get    http://www.internetradiouk.com/bbc-5-live

Then if you do that again you get there main website  ;)      http://www.internetradiouk.com

I have used that tip many times if you have a link to some website and it does not work start at the RHS and remove the last /xxxxx  then  press 'Enter' if it still does not work take another / off etc. and re-try.

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »

Well, I've had a heck of a day ...... and STILL no 5 Live !!  Even the links that you gave me in your last post Mike will not work  ....  Firefox started playing up this morning - the address bar vanished completely.  I dis-installed it and re-installed  -then I have nothing but  the speed dial   (ext) page ...  one the speed dial page there was a search bar which I assumed was Google - it always has been -  but something called Search Ya came up :-\.  I then started looking things up on my Chrome Book as Firefox  gave me no other options with address bar missing. On looking up this Search Ya apparently it is malware !   I couldn't get rid of the Speed Dial page as the view option was missing - Then I did  a Malwarebytes full scan which took forever !!  and found 5 nasties which it then got rid of but nothing obvious  (to me  ::)=.  In the end before I put my shoe through the screen  !!!  I got rid of Firefox altogether - I couldn't use it, couldn't get into it to try and fixes because none of the toolbars were evident.   THEN  I installed Opera - which I'm using now  ... BUT even with this I can't get R5 Live.

I had an email earlier from the BBC quoting my case number ...so they did take me seriously -  " I can confirm that we were aware of streaming issues affecting some international listeners however we believe this was resolved on 14 February.  If still having problems please get back to us and we’ll be happy to investigate further as the stream appears to be working correctly at present"    I shall email them again whenever.  I'm exhausted  ;D    It MUST be an issue with the programme because I can't get it to play on the Chrome-book.  If it won't work in Opera, wouldn't work in Firefox, nor in the Chrome  browser or Chrome book - they can't all be 'dodgy'-  I'm flummoxed ... but perhaps further contact with the BBC will sort it   :'(    The other stations are loud and clear on the PC and on the Chrome-book -  I can survive without 5 Live  :D but it's so annoying and I really do want to know what's causing it.   I've considered a proxy, but to be honest I'm not that clever and to be more honest at the moment I can't be bothered with hassle.   This whole episode has tired me out   (Wuss  ;D)  so I'm going to shut everything down and read my Kindle ...

Many thanks for all the suggestions.  I still haven't looked at the other links yet Mike, but I'll possibly get around to it tomorrow.   Bonne nuit   :flower:

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »

If your search engine has changed to "search ya", it's quite likely you've got some malware on your computer that's changed it.

If I were you, I'd download Malwarebytes and run it, make sure it's updated itself, then do a full scan of your system and see what it finds.

Malwarebytes is free and very good, you can download it safely from here :

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

You may still need to manually change your browser search engine settings, start page etc afterwards.   :(

Ian
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything