Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: billion bipac 8800axl or not?  (Read 3180 times)

captainkirk

billion bipac 8800axl or not?
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »

We've been having problems with our line and the BT homehub 5 constantly cutting out.  I purchased a Huawei 612 and thanks to the forum have managed to unlock it and get it up and running with the HH5.  The 612, whilst showing that the line is still 'iffy' does hold the connection much better.

I'd like to get everything in one box if possible so, having read the forums again I think the Bipac might be suitable as its a Broadcom chip like the Huawei.  My question is - do you think that would be as stable as having a separate modem and router or would I be better just to replace the router and keep the openreach modem.  I've had to plug the second lan port from the modem to my laptop in order to get stats because I don't have a spare port on the HH.  If I want to keep the modem plugged in for stats then I think I need to buy a switch to get some extra lan ports - any advice would be much appreciated. 

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: billion bipac 8800axl or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »

Why not get the line fault fixed?

captainkirk

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »

Oh Dray, if only  :)  We have had 10 engineers out already, they cannot find the fault although each one of them says that from the router stats they can see that there is a fault somewhere - just when they come out its either nice and dry or frosty - the last engineer that came out he swapped a pair over and said see how it goes - it rained just after he went and we were back to square one.  Black Sheep suggests that it might be a fault that will be better found when the weather gets warmer so I thought if we could at least stabilise the disconnections a little better we could wait until spring.  I think that would probably be when we get prolonged periods of rain - bt's care team are also at a loss so we've agreed to keep everything on hold until the weather plays ball!    The Huawei is definitely behaving better on the line and as the HH5 is not particularly special with regard to wifi either I thought I'd invest in a combined modem/router hence the request as to whether the forum thinks it would be as stable as having a separate modem and router - I'm not overly technical so I struggle to put things down with the correct terms!!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »

the axl should be fine and work similar to the hg612 for stability, but I prefer keeping the modem and router separate personally.

captainkirk

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »

I think I'll keep with the separate modem and router then thanks, I've managed to set it up with the web dslstats - I don't have a clue what anything means but at least I've got it working  ;D   

anything