Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BTW speedtest results  (Read 10538 times)

rbel

BTW speedtest results
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
How accurate is the range indicated under Further Diagnostics 'For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is...'?  Does the test check actual line conditions or is still a rough estimate?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BTW speedtest results
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »

I believe its based on the same range of figures which is given in the BTw availability checker, minus an amount to allow for TCP/IP overheads and the IPprofile.

So its basically a rough (and conservative) estimate.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »

Hi rbel,

Perhaps I'm answering my perception of your question which seemingly differs from the illustrious Kitz's.

In my experience the BT Wholesale speed test provides only a semi-truthful set of data which is based upon that actual throughput results which in turn reflect the actual line conditions.
Out in the Surrey sticks this can often bear very little resemblence to the wishful thinking of perfect lines from the BT Wholesale estimator.
Also note BS has often told us that the estimator ONLY provides data up to the DP (Distribution Point).
Whilst this is probably a reasonable solution for urban areas it most certainly falls far short of a reliable tool for many manky lines easily even over say 2 or 4 km from the DP.
However in this case the DP is only two spans away right to the eaves of the property.
Broadband Bill has yet to discover a way to defy the laws of physics !

As a typical example these pictures reflect the two results for a VDSL line of about 700 m D side only.

Note also that the total length of the green and grey bit of the Download histogram are scaled to the maximum achievable result TODAY and NOT the maximum estimated speed.
The upload speed histogram is actually the whole truth.

Kind regards,
Walter

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:04:46 PM by waltergmw »

rbel

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »

Kitz and WalterGMW

Many thanks for the responses.  I have included the result of a test done earlier this evening which appear to show discrepancies between 'the acceptable range of speeds' and the actual speeds - the figures have been very similar for some weeks now.  Is this sort of result unusual?  The basic reason for the low performance is length of line (copper not aluminium) from the cabinet to the property but I did receive 16 Mbps down for several weeks indicating that perhaps 'the acceptable range of speeds' is perhaps not that far out?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:23 PM »

Hi rbel,

The BT speed tester is telling you something is wrong with the red line and the low upstream result is also an indicator.
You will probably have to obtain an unlocked modem and provide statistics so we can form an opinion.

Have you followed the house wiring advice here too ?

Kind regards,
Walter

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »

Hi rbel,

The BT speed tester is telling you something is wrong with the red line and the low upstream result is also an indicator.
You will probably have to obtain an unlocked modem and provide statistics so we can form an opinion.

Have you followed the house wiring advice here too ?

Kind regards,
Walter

well at least the BT Test is being truthfull and Waltergmw it's all easy to be a critic these day on the web, have you a better way to show how the EU line is performing without a unlocked Modem  :no:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

@ NS,

You've hit the nail on the head !
How much easier it would be for us all if there was less deception and obfuscation.
A line has to be REALLY BAD before a red worm appears.
A major advance would be for all VDSL modems to have similar diagnostic capabilities to the 2Wire 2700HGV AKA the old BT Business Hub.

Kind regards,
Walter

rbel

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »

Waltergmw

I haven't followed house wiring advice from this site, but my setup is a relatively simple one, modem immediately adjacent to NTE5, cat5E from modem to Billion 7800n, ethernet to PC. 

I have just ordered an unlocked HG612 which will hopefully shed some light on the current performance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »

@ NS,

You've hit the nail on the head !
How much easier it would be for us all if there was less deception and obfuscation.

I totally agree. 
I hate how most of the major ISPs are now locking down their modem/routers and stopping access to some very useful information.
In some parts I can understand why they first prevented usage because there were plenty of numpties who changed things without knowing or understanding what they were doing, resulting in them screwing up the connection leaving the help desk to pick up the pieces.   A better solution IMHO would have been to at least make things read only...  and even better a big red button which says "Proceed at your own risk touch anything here and youre on your own.  We will know youve screwed it up yourself "   :D :lol:

>>>  diagnostic capabilities to the 2Wire 2700HGV

TBH Ive personally never much rated the 2700HG's as they prove to be poor on short lines.  We dont have many very long lines in this area and mine is redundant.  I bought it when I was on adsl2+ with Be.  Its maximum sync would be around 17Mb, where I could easily get annex-a 24Mb on a ST/Netgear BCM chipset. I'm not alone in finding them rubbish on short lines and many Be users found themselves in the same position.    The added fact that it cant do Annex_M has meant its just been sat in a cupboard for the past few years.   

I know however they do have a very good reputation on long lines..  so if Walters wheelbarrow thinks it may have a home for a 2700HG-B youre more than welcome to it FoC.   Ive just plugged it in to check power etc, but obviously I cant do any further testing to check if it works ok now that Im on FTTC.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »

@ rbel,

Even if you are using an NTE5 with an integral filter faceplate, I still prefer to ensure the ring wires are disconnected everywhere leaving only pins 2 & 5 with wires in.

@ Kitz,  Thanks for the offer but I have plenty as we swap over to VDSL modems. My wheelbarrow contains one with an earlier firmware version which is just my poor-mans test instrument:-

192.168.1.254/mdc and go to the diagnostics page without even waiting to see the red authentication failure. As well as the parameters and bit loading it also shows how long the modem takes to get into sync which, out in the sticks, can be quite valuable too.

Kind regards,
Walter

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:53:53 AM »

I am furious with my isp Plusnet's end supplier (fault team) who rejected me to get in touch with BT Wholesale over my BTw speed test ongoing test error since upgraded from ADSL2+ to FTTC.

I click further diagnostics and had try Telephone Number of the broadband circuit and also did try Broadband circuit Service ID (ISP gave me that) and the test repeating saying a message below:

Test Error
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

And it always like this since my FTTC went live 12 days ago and the fault team told me it my website problem, not Plusnet supplier or BTw end. I told them I did try firefox, google chorme, internet explorer and did try on different pc and still the same problem. The fault team was so rude and saying to me "Why do you need BTw further diagnostics for? You don't need it, you can use other speedtest eg: speedtest.net but I told them I need to know the IP Profile and they say to me "IP Profile? U don't need this on FTTC". And rejected me to take this BTw speedtest matter to BT and say to me "It's not BTw problem, it your own site problem". I give up. I dunno where to turn to? I will be stuck without BTw ip profile!

I had no problem with ADSL then ADSL2+ with BTw ip profile check but unable to do this on my FTTC. Do I have my full rights to ask Plusnet to get in touch with BT over BTw ongoing problem and they seem don't want to know.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:57:17 AM by adslmax »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:58 PM »

You shouldn't need to put the circuit number in, only the phone number.

Since the actual advanced test is (or at least was) only run from the one server (the speedtest has 2), then I would think if there was an actual problem with the website the we would all be seeing it.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't let you perform the advanced test other than

1.Some setting on your pc/firewall/mtu/AV/no java

2. Non bt services...  Have you recently come across from LLU?..  Or no record of your circuit on the btw system.

3.  On the odd occasion it does flip its lid on some lines, but usually let's them try again the next day.

-----

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »

Here's my two pence worth.

I run the BTW speed tester daily and have done so for a long time in order to create graphs for a series of trend data. I do this so I can challenge BT customer services when they give me the run around when there are problems. I tell them - "this is the data from your own diagnostics tool - you cannot deny the figures".  I also run the brilliant stats programs available from this site for real monitoring and diagnostics but I try and avoid owing up to "updating" the HG612 firmware when talking to customer services!   

Sometimes the speed tester will not work (for days at a a time) and will return an error message. As the OP says changing the web browser will make no difference. Don't even bother.

Eventually the problem will go away. Why, I do not know.

The further diagnostics test very frequently fails.  Again it will not work for days on end and then suddenly it will start working again.

What I have noticed is that a change in the IP profile appears to disturb the further diagnostics. A reboot of router/modem can often (but not always) resume normal service. Its almost as though some parameter connection stored in the router/modem has changed which makes the further diagnostics go into a tailspin.

You will be beating your head in trying to fix this. In my experience its less stressful (admittedly defeatist) to shrug ones shoulder and wait for another day when the sun is shining. And/or try a router/modem reboot if you are desperate.

Regards BBN
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:33:10 PM by bbnovice »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »

Plusnet are now looking into my BTw speedtest and they puzzle and clueless why it isn't work for 2 weeks now. I didn't come to FTTC from LLU. I always with Plusnet with ADSL (up to 8Mbps) then upgrade a few years ago with ADSL2+ and now upgraded to FTTC 2 weeks ago. But BTw speedtest always work everytime I use it for ADSL and ADSL2+ with my phone number. But, since FTTC went activated, the BTw speedtest with my phone number no longer work everydays for 2 weeks with laptop, pc, tablet etc. Plusnet say that on their system that BTW had updated as of FTTC service tag on it.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 10:24:27 PM »

I'll post a link to BTW performance http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ for you to test just incase your link or favourite is faulty, it may be a good time to clear out all IE caches or what ever Internet Browser you use to rule this out as a possible cause.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:26:37 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: [1] 2

anything