Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 10-day stabilisation period.  (Read 30942 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 10-day stabilisation period.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »

ADSL modems are usually USB devices - the old Speedtouch 330 was a popular example. They have no inbuilt firewall, and usually inferior performance to ADSL routers. A very small number of ethernet-connected modems exist, but these are basically ADSL routers with the router function absent.

What we commonly refer to as routers in this context are modem routers, which have a modem facing the internet and a router between it and the computers. These have many performance and security advantages over simple modems.

There also exist plain routers which contain no modem. These are commonly used with cable systems, and can also be used in conjunction with an ethernet modem on ADSL systems, but for most ADSL users the combined modem/router is the easiest and best option.
  Eric

anon_private

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »

Thank you.

Is the Thomson TG585v7 a combination?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »

Yes it is.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »

Hey,

Bit off topic from what an ADSL modem and router is but i just wanted to state about the conversation on contacting BTO. There is a number that can be called which is by the name of "dial before you dig" however i think this is only to obtain a map of BT's plant if your planning on digging up some ground. There is other options there however when calling the number and 1 of them could be to request a survey but i am not to sure.

Gary

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:08 PM »

I was under the illusion the BT 10 days trial was a myth as the DLM kicks in on the second day of installation be it ADSL Max or VDSL2 the Members on BT Community Forums Laugh about but still to humour BT they say wait until 10 days  :D

Kamil

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »

I was under the illusion the BT 10 days trial was a myth as the DLM kicks in on the second day of installation be it ADSL Max or VDSL2 the Members on BT Community Forums Laugh about but still to humour BT they say wait until 10 days  :D

DLM should start immediately after activation. After the ten day period MSR is set and this is the only difference to normal DLM proceedings. This is as I can understand it by the way ;)

Cheers Kamil

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »

DLM should start immediately after activation. After the ten day period MSR is set and this is the only difference to normal DLM proceedings. This is as I can understand it by the way ;)

Cheers Kamil

Yes the DLM is activated immediately in a wide open state for two days then the DLM starts to apply it's management rules to how the EU line is performing, the 10 day wait is the minimum time before Openreach will investigate a possible issue on a new FTTC install. 

Kamil

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 09:11:58 PM »

Cheers Kamil

Yes the DLM is activated immediately in a wide open state for two days then the DLM starts to apply it's management rules to how the EU line is performing, the 10 day wait is the minimum time before Openreach will investigate a possible issue on a new FTTC install.

So it looks like FTTC is similar to adslmax as only after the ten day period MSR is set and based on that thereafter BT will accept whether there is a fault at all... With adsl max it is 30% drop from MSR set after the ten days. Is it the same with fibre? :)

Cheers Kamil

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »

So it looks like FTTC is similar to adslmax as only after the ten day period MSR is set and based on that thereafter BT will accept whether there is a fault at all... With adsl max it is 30% drop from MSR set after the ten days. Is it the same with fibre? :)

Cheers Kamil

With FFTC we have what's called the Range A & B and if the throughput speed falls below the availability checker then I am sure and investigation will be made by Openreach, you could try the availability checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ I know the Kitz forum has a link but can't find it  :blush:
Pages: 1 [2]

anything