Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hows the rest of the world doing with Broadband speeds  (Read 2230 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Hows the rest of the world doing with Broadband speeds
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »

Do you ever look outside of your bubble (UK) to compare other countries Broadband speeds and Prices if not then have a look at this link and you can get some idea how the UK compares to the rest of the world.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/10/cheapest-150mbps-broadband-in-big-us-cities-costs-100-more-than-overseas/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:46:40 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Hows the rest of the world doing with Broadband speeds
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »

Interesting link thanks. :)

Although admittedly Im sometimes dubious when they start spouting data from other countires..  at least this one lists by city rather than country. 
Demographics of certain east asian countries may be exceedingly good in the big cities, but a totally different situation outside of those large cities.  I raise an eyebrow when I see something like "China has the fastest broadband in the world".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

Agree, Kitz. Along with other aspects, such as human rights violations. I'd rather have 56K dial-up and be a free man, than what some of our 'cousins' have to tolerate but have access to super-fast speeds.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »

+1

And be honest, to ordinary Joe Bloggs is it all of that great importance? He has no need of 3 million tigerbytes per second. What could he do with the time saved over his 5000 kbps? :-\

Speed Test Net grades speeds; mine (6550 at present) is "D", but on its  companion Ping Test Net the connection is grade "A". Which is more important?! The only purpose for comparisons like STN is to create envy and discontent unnecessarily.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

pmsl ....... 'Tigerbytes'.  :lol: