Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: upload speed  (Read 1607 times)

door_bell

upload speed
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »

Is there a limit on a single thread to a site when uploading via a web browser?

I'm on plusnet and pretty much always get the 18mb upload speed on tests, which is nice. Using it for a single application is not so easy though.

I'm uploading via a backup tool - quite slow (closed it, but it was around 400KB). Currently uploading a 400MB video to a site that's got WAYYYYYYY more bandwidth than normal and it's again 400KB (using IE).

Is this normal? Windows 8.1 in use - same with different browsers, etc. Do you have to use another application with multiple threads or something? I'm guessing that rules out most upload tools built into sites.

??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: upload speed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »

>> Is there a limit on a single thread to a site when uploading via a web browser?

No there shouldnt be. Although I believe firefox can show some weirdness when it comes to multi-threading.    Theres a post by rizla somewhere, but iirc it was on download not upload.

Last year I also saw some weirdness with multi-threading - v - single thread...   but again it was on my download speeds in that speedtests would give me 72Mbps, but I could only get a max of circa 28Mbps using a single thread.    It took me ages to find out what was causing it, but in the end it was something to do with my network card and Receive Windows Auto-Tuning. (Win7)

You didnt say if you were using http or ftp, but its worth mentioning that FTP can sometimes be much slower than your max speed.  It depends on the file sizes.  I do quite a bit of FTP uploading and small files take a while, but you shouldnt see this with a 400MB file.   Im also on Plusnet and can upload a 100MB file up to my server at a steady 17.9 Mbps
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker