Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modem/Router responsible for loss of connection or something else?  (Read 7983 times)

srt

• Reg Member

I posted a query in hardware thread earlier and I shall try to clarify whats giving me grief.
On January 26th I needed to turn power off in house.
On switching back on the bt modem (white thing) refused to connect,ADSL light flashing etc.
tried all the usual palava and then phoned bt ::)
They asked me to do all the same palava and following them calling me back after testing said I would need an engineer visit.
The next day late afternoon I noticed that the modem was now showing connection which it has since but with the LAN light going off at various times and dropping the router etc.
I decided not to call bt though and waited the three days it took for engineer visit twixt 8.00 and 1.00.
Well they never showed and I sent a complaint off as my system was in the infernal DLM and is never going to get better whilst this LAN keeps dropping >:(
Ive managed to alert bt via their forum and I beleive one of their mods is looking into matters.
My fault message on bt page says the fault is "resolved"!
My download has dropped from a reasonable 46gb to 20gb.
My router is a bt business one that ive mentioned in a hardware thread and its the one I got when I just had a non fibre problem involving REIN way back before fibre. I used it with routerstats but its not so simple with fibre. Anyway, can anyone give me a clue as to the possible cause of this LAN drop which seems to occur in the modem and knocks the router off and back on again?
Sorry for the length of this :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Modem/Router responsible for loss of connection or something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »

It is not entirely clear as to where your problem may reside.  :-\

You mention "with the LAN light going off at various times and dropping the router etc." Are you referring to the LAN1 LED on the Openreach modem (the "white thing")? If yes, then that is signifying a problem with either the router (the 2Wire 2701HGV-C) or the cable connecting router to the modem.

. . . my system was in the infernal DLM and is never going to get better whilst this LAN keeps dropping >:(

That can not be correct. The DLM operates on the circuit between the cabinet based MSAN and the modem, not between the modem and the router!

A drop of downstream throughput from 46 Gbps to 20 Gbps is certainly significant and could imply a similar drop in downstream synchronisation speed. You really need to check your modem's synchronisation speed (if you have an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem). Failing that, the BT Wholesale Performance Test may show up some anomaly.

Anyway, can anyone give me a clue as to the possible cause of this LAN drop which seems to occur in the modem and knocks the router off and back on again?

As I have explained above, you seem to have a wrong understanding of the situation. It appears that the router is dropping the connection and that status is shown by the LAN1 LED on the modem being extinguished.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »

Hi burakkucat,
Thanks for the pointers.Thanks for the polite words about wrong understanding ::)
I would say I have it Bass Ackward :)
Unfortunately the Huawei HG612 modem is not unlocked and maybe thats to the good for now as Ive a further bt engineer visit scheduled for next Monday pm.
I just performed the test you kindly linked to and got : Download speed Mbps 16.26. Upload speed Mbps 9.54. Ping latency ms 49.75
Which is not good :no:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

Hi srt,

The fact that even the BT checker has painted a red worm indicates even they think "summat's up".
I think you'll find that many visitors turn a blind eye to an ethernet cable in port 2 of the modem.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »

I just performed the test you kindly linked to and got : Download speed Mbps 16.26. Upload speed Mbps 9.54. Ping latency ms 49.75
Which is not good :no:

Agreed. It most certainly is not good.  :no:

Perhaps it might be worthwhile repeating the test, save a screen-shot and then go on to the further tests that it invites you to perform. The results so gathered may assist the engineer in understanding the problem, when s/he visits.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »

Repeated test but its not playing ball now!
I also noticed the disconnect again today at around a similar time :-X- that is to say the router displays all lights off (except power) and the modem loses LAN1, then router picks up again as does the modem.
The ADSL light on modem stays solid though so this is router related?
I hope the timing of the loss around 15.00 hrs is nothing to do with REIN or something like.
Ive been there before :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:28:37 PM »

. . . the router displays all lights off (except power) and the modem loses LAN1, then router picks up again as does the modem.
The ADSL light on modem stays solid though so this is router related?

From the above, it is easier to say that your issue is not line nor modem related. With the DSL LED of the modem constantly illuminated, that reinforces the suggestion that the problem is probably router based.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »

[ the problem is probably router based.]

Hmm - that might have a bearing on my other question on the hardware thread - in that the first use date had mysteriously changed to the day after I lost internet (DSL on modem) and my password would not work.
I still have my original HH3 that BT sent me so maybe its worth trying or perhaps just wait till Monday and the engineer call :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »

Something to consider . . .

Power down the router (the 2Wire 2701HGV-C), disconnect it from the modem, power it up and then perform a factory reset. When complete, leave it disconnected from the modem, enter its GUI based configuration (via the IP address 192.168.1.254), set your password and configure the device, as appropriate.

Once all has been set and the configuration has been saved, power it down once again, reconnect it to the modem and then power it up.

door_bell

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »

Use a PC and no router to test??

Rules out router fault......

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »

Sorry not to have replied earler but I had busy few days.
Thanks "waltergmw" - I suspect the bit about port 2 is to do with unlocking?
"door_bell" - Not sure I understood that :blush:
"burakkucat" - Thanks for the pointers. I decided to await the second engineer visit arranged for today - - sadly they never showed - AGAIN :rain:
Not best pleased with bt at the mo and I await there reply to my email to the guy who is "assisting" :-\

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »

Well just to keep updated on things here ::)
I decided to just swap out the router for the home hub 3 and it appeared to be ok. BT chap said to let him know if anything happens and he will call me on Monday.
The missed engineer visits remain unexplained but I am to get a little refund on my account for the trouble :hmm:
I just checked the connection time on the hh3 and its just showing six hours. Sadly I havent unlocked anything so thats the limit of my monitoring ability :no:
I wonder if this could be the signs of the dreaded REIN that I had ages back in 2011 :'(
I have advised BT chap of this dropped connect and hope he can check it out.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »

Apparently I need another engineer visit - - - - lets hope its a real one this time :fingers:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »

Thank you for keeping this thread updated.

From what you have explained, I am quite certain that you problem is not REIN related.  :)

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »

Things get curiouser and curiouser.
Around 4.00pm I was online and the ethernet connection was lost but the HH3 still displayed blue lights. Wifi still worked and I had an ipad running ok.
I rebooted my pc and the connection was established.
Then a minute or two later the HH3 broadband light goes orange and the screen help pops up showing error and to try blah blah to reconnect but nothing was happening. The wifi had also gone off and the modem LAN1 light is blinking :(
I powered HH3 off and then back and its connected again.
I am not sure Ive explained that too well but I am now wondering about the pc ethernet :-\
Mind you, the lost connection that occurred in the night did not occur when the pc was running ???
I await bt to get back with engineer visit day/time :-X
Pages: [1] 2

anything