Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I've not noticed anything like these before  (Read 4058 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I've not noticed anything like these before
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:34 AM »

Code: [Select]
21 Apr 2016 07:19:49 Recording started

21 Apr 2016 07:19:54 IP address is now 194.75.x.x
21 Apr 2016 07:49:25 Timeout while collecting vendor data
21 Apr 2016 07:49:25 Telnet timeout
Some thing went clunk in the night, while my system was off. I do not have Pi, nor do i recall  being on a 194.75.x.x IP, and the line about vendor data is unfamiliar too. Do they together suggest anything?

Oh and I'm with Plusnet!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: I've not noticed anything like these before
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »

Well, I can see the IPv4 address from which you have posted to this forum and it is the 194.75.x.x that you see. It is a Plusnet address.

I would suggest that there was a disconnection - reconnection event last night and the end result was a new IPv4 address and (obviously) PPPoA session.

Is that fragment of a logfile from DSLstats, perhaps? If so, I'm sure Eric will offer some words of advice as what would be your best course of action.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »

The IP address was reported (as normal) immediately after you started recording at 07:19:49. Then at 07:49:25 something happened which caused DSLstats to fail to complete the collection of that sample. If it was a one-off happening, then it could be any sort of temporary local network event and not really possible to diagnose.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »

I thought that might be the case. Funnily, over the last 24 hrs+ I've had two changes of IP with first a slight increase in sync, then this p.m. the upstream margin went haywire from 16:25 to 17:55, ranging from 15.5 to 3.7 (normally 8) and upstream sync has nearly halved. My connection is quite benign usurally.

Digressing, neighbour now has a big hole, a shallow trench and a lot of blue pull through for his fault I wasted a thread on. All that appeared yesterday. According to wifey early today separately two OR vans came, looked and went away. I guess it must be the remotest of remote chances his fault could now be playing on me.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »

Digressing, neighbour now has a big hole, a shallow trench and a lot of blue pull through for his fault I wasted a thread on. All that appeared yesterday. According to wifey early today separately two OR vans came, looked and went away. I guess it must be the remotest of remote chances his fault could now be playing on me.

Remembering your description of the local telephony infrastructure that, indeed, could be the case.  :-\

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 08:27:12 PM »

Memory failure alert! Where, when did I make that comment  on the telephony infrastructure?:help: Though when we moved in back in 2002 we had trouble when the groundworks contractor severed our cable, and because we didn't want to spoil the new work a co-operative OR man agreed to loop our cable back along the road and up the garden. Neighbour is futher from DP than we are, and our revised routing doesn't go near his hole!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:54:23 PM by renluop »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »

Perhaps I am thinking of someone else . . . ?  ???

Have you and your neighbours had problems with the service feed being directly buried in the ground? Over the years there have been a number of repairs made to it? I seem to recall seeing a photograph, taken down a hole, which showed the latest repair was just inches away from a previous repair.

Is there an electricity sub-station up the end of a track and the transformer was replaced, with difficulty, two or three years ago? I seem to recall that the work by the electricity supply contractors caused further problems with the local telephone service.

If none of the above is vaguely familiar to you, then it must be someone else.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »

Yes! there is a sub station beside neighbour, and there is a chamber back along road, put in when I had some trouble years back, and yes cable is directly laid in ground. Our part of road is 2 pairs of 3 bed linked detacheds. Mine is 3rd, neighbour 4th and the chamber far side of 2nd. Looks like there could be yet another in such a short length of road!

B'cat, how'd you get that super memory!? :cool:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »

I find I can remember all sorts of little details that somebody has recounted many months (if not years) ago but then forget to take my wallet with me when I've gone for the week's grocery shopping.  :-[

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »

Openreach came to neighbour on Friday, and this is the neighbour's hole with new cable and whatever that other equipment is.
We are at the end of a cul-de-sac that abuts on common land, the houses opposite receive their connection from another DP, which has houses' rear gardens in another road at rt angles. That being so I cannot think where the conduit from the top of the whatever it is could go. Must be some odd loops around!

Hope that'll be it, but there are sprayed markers going back along the road, hopefully just in case. :fingers: