Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Android phones - anybody a fan?  (Read 18052 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Android phones - anybody a fan?
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »

I needed a new mobile and considering the proliferation of iOS devices I've collected, decided it was time to dip a toe into Androids so I am now the proud owner of a cheap as chips Samsung Galaxy Fame PAYG.  ;D

I'm fairly impressed on the whole, but it's worse than useless for network data access.  I only have 2G (gprs) coverage locally, but my previous phone (pre-android and pre-iOS) coped fine, if a bit slow, with the same SIM.  The Android just seems to give up on almost every attempt.  I have checked and double-checked the configurable parameters for the access point and anyway, the fact that it works occasionally suggests the configuration is basically sound.  I've tried it in the nearby town centre, much the sam - nearly never works.

When not working (which is nearly always) the symptoms are initial flickering of the activity arrows under the 'G' (gprs) symbol, which peters out and stops after a few seconds, and then the App hangs for few tens of seconds before giving up, and reporting various error messages like 'can't access', 'try again' etc.  The same symptoms affect all my favourite Apps, BBC weather, National Rail (train times), BBC News, etc.  Yet they all do work, occasionally.

So to recap, signal strength is fine, and data connection does occasionally work, possibly it works best when the network is quiet like wee small hours.  In consideration of that  I'm inclined to think this is an Android O/S problem, rather than with the phone.  Perhaps, for example, it can't cope when corrupted data needs to be resent?   Or maybe it can't cope with long latencies?

Just wondered if anybody else had good/bad experience with Android network data, compared to earlier phones (pre iOS and pre Android)?  I'm Android 4.1.2 for what difference that makes.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Android phones - anybody a fan?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »

I've had two Android phones and both frankly struggle on any 2G services, dont know why. I'm lucky here that I normally have a good 3G service and when at home I always use wi-fi on it. I have no idea why but if I only get a 2G signal I dont bother with the net. I would not expect and IOS devices to fare much better since most of their access, like Android, would be graphical not text which is what pre-IOS/Android phones used plus I expect timeouts are much shorter because of the design expecting 3G.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »

I would not expect and IOS devices to fare much better since most of their access, like Android, would be graphical not text which is what pre-IOS/Android phones used

Better half has an iPhone, but we've never set it up for data access.  I may do so for comparison, we are both on Vodafone PAYG.  A characteristic of Vodafone PAYG is that as soon as you use any data, you are debited £1 which allows you to use a full 25MB. OIt's not actually bad but it means however that every day I do these experiments it is costing £1 for each phone.    :'(

With the old phone I used to just use the built in browser, had bookmarks for my favourite BBC weather charts, and for my usual train stations from the National Rail website.  On days when I was out walking I could watch the weather, and on my way to the station I could check if the trains were on time.    So that was graphical too, and worked fine, if a bit slow.    And even if it took a while you just stuck it back in your pocket and walked another hundred yards, it'd be ready when you looked later. 

But with the Android, if it doesn't work immediately, there's no point in 'giving it time', it just won't work period.  Really is quite useless in comparison.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »

I have a galaxy S4  mini which runs on Android 4.2.2 and although its slow, I just put that down to being used to having wi-fi on a fast connection at home. Aside from my parents house, where its carp, I cant say Ive noticed a problem -  but thats no surprise since they show as grey on the map even for 2G.

My daughter has an galaxy s2/s3 (cant remember) and she uses 3G practically 24/7 without problems as shes always on the move and hardly ever home.   Shes always uploading photos mail etc from her phone and uses mobile data these days more than her laptop.

Admittedly I previously had a HTC DesireS which tbh wasnt much good on 2g and could be painfully slow at times, but it usually worked depending on location.
I think there may be a setting somewhere in the phone where you can state your network prefs, and I recall seeing something once that if you are in a 2g area it may be best setting that as your default network mode. But double check as Im talking off the top of my head.

Have you checked coverage for your area via your network provider
vodafones is here
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm?cid=rdr-11072-01
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:03 PM »

I can't shed any light on your specific problem, I've had Android phones for a long time and don't have any problems, but I do generally have a good 3G signal.  Do any of the other mobile firms have good 3G coverage in your area? There are only four mobile network operators in the UK (mentioned below), all the others piggy back off those 4, you can find further info here.

Just reading what Kitz posted reminded me that your phone may keep trying to swap to 3G then drop back to 2G, I think there may well be a setting somewhere to set it to 2G only.

£1 a day for 25MB sounds like it could be very expensive way of using your phone, there are now some very good Sim only deals out.

Vodafone 300 minutes,    500 texts,    250MB data for £9 a month
Three 200 minutes, 5000 texts, 500MB data for £6.90 - I'm on the One Plan, 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data with tethering for £15, but looks like it's gone up to £20 a month
Orange 500 minutes, 500 texts, 100MB data £8 a month
O2 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 100MB data £8 a month

Those above are the cheapest tariffs for 12 month contract, a little more money can get some good allowances, tie that in with a cash back deal and you can have a good contract at a very good rate. Do some in depth research and it is possible to get some very good deals.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:45:20 PM »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »

I

Just reading what Kitz posted reminded me that your phone may keep trying to swap to 3G then drop back to 2G, I think there may well be a setting somewhere to set it to 2G only.

£1 a day for 25MB sounds like it could be very expensive way of using your phone, there are now some very good Sim only deals out.

I have no 3G coverage at all, as confirmed by the checker kitz posted.  In any case, I have tried disabling 3G as can be done from 'settings', it made no difference.

Regarding price plans, I only use my data plan one or two days a month, so the Vodafone scheme suits me well; all the mobile data I need for, with my usage pattern, £2 per month.   :graduate:

I refuse to have a contract phone as I don't like the T&Cs of any I've investigated, but that's off-topic. 

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »

I switched to Android from iOS at the end of last year and I am really glad I did. Android is the superior OS nowadays. It didn't used to be, admittedly, but you can't beat it now.

You really realise how much Apple limits you when you try Android. Apple's attitude to iOS seems to be you like what we like. No? Too bad!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »

I switched to Android from iOS at the end of last year and I am really glad I did. Android is the superior OS nowadays. It didn't used to be, admittedly, but you can't beat it now.

You really realise how much Apple limits you when you try Android. Apple's attitude to iOS seems to be you like what we like. No? Too bad!

Trouble is, I thought I was buying a mobile phone rather than just (say) an iPod Touch competitor.   And for the specific purposes for which I use the phone, the Android seems to be a dismal failure.   

In saying that I am comparing at least to the previous generations of mobiles, long predating iOS as well as pre-Android.  It may (or may not) be a fantastic tablet computer, but  as a mobile phone it is the worst phone for data access I have owned since GPRS became available, maybe a decade or so ago.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »

>> I thought I was buying a mobile phone rather than just (say) an iPod Touch competitor.

That is a damn shame 7LM, because I really am thrilled to bits with my galaxy s4.  It does everything and so more than my ipad/ipod.

The only limitation to me is screen size,
I have a dilema,  Im not a person that likes massive handbags and dont want to be carrying a stonking great big phone bag, yet unfortunately Ive approached that age where Im beginning to hold my phone further away to see any text. 
Since one eye is long sighted and the other short-sighted I get headaches switching from eye to eye to view something close up  :(

If my phone screen was the size of my ipad, then there would be no contest on which would get used the most.  The Android wins hands down.    The only thing it cant do is play to my Apple TV.

Im sure there must be something somewhere thats stopping you get a decent 2G signal.   
I just really, really wish I could point you in the right direction.   If you are with vodafone you could perhaps try their forums to see if anyone with that particular phone has come across this before.    :'( :'(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »

You really realise how much Apple limits you when you try Android.

OMG Alec  I thought you were a confirmed Apple iOS fan!! :swoon:
The reason I moan about iOS is because I started on android... then bought i-devices and it was only once Id purchased them, realised then how much Apple stopped me from doing what I wanted to.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

Kitz, see my avatar and my personal text. I'm a convert :).

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »

Im sure there must be something somewhere thats stopping you get a decent 2G signal.   

I'm sure it's not a signal strength problem (full 4 bars) as other phones are happy with Vodafone's  2G service here.   Moving on from my 2G data probems, and despite the fact it's a cute gadget, I'm still not really enamoured.   

One biggie that bugs me is that I seem to have to be permanently logged into my google account.   Thus if my phone gets nicked and the thief manages to get past the screen password, they have full access to my google account.   I've not yet thought of any specific problems from that, it just seems terriby bad security practice to stay logged in when not needed.  With iOS you can log out of iTunes account, and it'll invite you to login again as and when it is needed, such as when you want to install an App.   

My (google) mail (with two step verification enabled) seems much more secure on iOS too as I can generate an 'application specific password' for each iOS device.  That allows the device lmited mail access but nothing more, and if I ever lose the iOS device a click of the mouse on the account website revokes that individual device without disrupting anything else.   All of that would work on Android's mail app too, but is entirely negated by the fact that the gmail app bypasses it all, by virtue of the permanent login.

I'm also a bit stunned at the liberties taken by some of the Apps from google play.   I nearly installed a satnav app, until I noticed it wanted permissions to silently initiate phone calls!   At least Apple have an exhaustive vetting/approvals process before allowing Apps to be unleashed, but do Google?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:26:25 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »

I think there may well be a setting somewhere to set it to 2G only.

There is on my phone, go to Settings and under Wireless & Networks on mine you tap More... then select Mobile networks then Network Mode.

As to Apps you must check the apps permissions as they dont always play fair but I believe from a developer I am acquainted with that it is not easy to set the correct permission items when coding. I dont use my google accounts for anyting except the app store so I'm not too bothered about that.

I'd advise using something like Lookout which is a kind of virus checker and also allows remote locking of a phone if stolen or lost.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »

I think there may well be a setting somewhere to set it to 2G only.

There is on my phone, go to Settings and under Wireless & Networks on mine you tap More... then select Mobile networks then Network Mode.

Thanks, but I already found and tried that, it makes no difference to the problem.

The real issue with 2G data of course is not that I can't use it at home - I have WiFi at home - it's that I can't trust it to work when I'm out walking.   My 'middle of back of beyond' walking trails are all likely to have poor signals.   Previous GPRS phones have coped fine, even when signal strength was so intermittent as to make voice calls unusable, thus letting me watch the weather and train times and check email.    But based on testing at home, I have no confidence that the Android will work on walks.

One thing I will say to Android's credit, I like the way it is quite easy to unambiguously enable/disable data access, thus avoiding accidental data charges when at home.   iOS is less convincing in that respect, which is the main reason we've never enabled data on better half's iPhone.   :)
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything