Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Blocking new Phone/Internet scam ?  (Read 7562 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Blocking new Phone/Internet scam ?
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »

A new Scam :=

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/security/4302511-indian-scammers-have-been-working-over-time.html#Post4302511

This prompts me to ask, is it true that, rather than leaving the 'phone off the hook to block a call, it is better to dial one's own number as it ties up less hardware at the exchange ? This may date back to mechanical exchanges !

TIA 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Blocking new Phone/Internet scam ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »

The scammers must be busy, dad got one recently too. :no:

Dont know about leaving your phone off the hook v dial own number perhaps someone else does.    At least the latter doesn't screech a high pitch tone after a few minutes.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »

My usual response to any call of that nature (once I am given the opportunity to speak) is to ask the following, using a puzzled voice: "Computer? What computer?"

On a couple of occasions I have just stated, using an officious voice: "Please state your security clearance code." and have then left the handset, "off-hook", with the transmitter muted.

Leaving the handset "off hook" results in a situation that was known as a PG (permanent glow) and that would result in the automagical application of the graduated howler to the circuit. Eventually that, too, would time-out and the circuit would then be "parked" so as not to monopolise any of the exchange equipment.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »

I think I must be on their 'friends & family' list as I get these calls probably at least once a week.

As with all nuisance callers, be it PC Virus scams, PPI claims, or double glazing, my strategy is to waste as much of their time as possible.

One example strategy is to ask them to 'say again, and speak more slowly', then ask them to speak more clearly or loudly, see how many times they'll repeat their nonsense.  You'd be amazed how many will even stay on the line even after I progress from 'please speak more slowly/loudly/quietly' to 'please speak more quickly'.    :D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:01:11 AM »

This prompts me to ask, is it true that, rather than leaving the 'phone off the hook to block a call, it is better to dial one's own number as it ties up less hardware at the exchange ? This may date back to mechanical exchanges !

With System X/Y, I can't see it making a difference.

With clockwork, dialling one's own number would tie up a first selector and a final selector at least, and, depending on the numbering scheme, a second and possibly a third selector.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:40 AM »

With System X/Y, I can't see it making a difference.

With clockwork, dialling one's own number would tie up a first selector and a final selector at least, and, depending on the numbering scheme, a second and possibly a third selector.

Thanks for the clarification.   -  -   and 127001 wouldn't work either !!

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »

Yesterday I must have had 12 of these *@x&% calls, What I do now is wait for the call to connect then either hang up in that time or wait till they ask for Mr xxxxxx or Mrs xxxxxx then I just say 'This Is The Police'  they soon put the phone down.:lol:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »

Yesterday I must have had 12 of these *@x&% calls, What I do now is wait for the call to connect then either hang up in that time or wait till they ask for Mr xxxxxx or Mrs xxxxxx then I just say 'This Is The Police'  they soon put the phone down.:lol:

Be wary of that.

I used to do so myself until one evening, a few years ago, I answered an anonymous 'Internatinal" call to be met with silence then, after about 5 or 10 seconds by which time I'd braced myself, eventually a voice with heavy US accent asking for better half by name, 'Hello, is that Mrs Muddle'.

Convinced it was a nuisance call I did basically as you suggest, but it turned  out to be a genuine caller (who we'd never met) discussing an upcoming visit to the USA.   I guess it must have been a low cost VoIP call, accounting for the connection delay.   The list of people who think I'm rather strange grew a little larger that evening.   :-[

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »

The list of people who think I'm rather strange grew a little larger that evening.   :-[

I joined that club years ago  :lol:  my wife volunteers to take bookings for our local village hall and our private phone number is all over the internet  >:D and guess who has to answer the calls when she is at work and tell them to phone back later and we do not phone you back as we do not get paid for the calls. :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.   -  -   and 127001 wouldn't work either !!

b*cat suddenly realises that he has been rather slow.

The reference to 127001 is nothing more than the IPv4 loopback address with the three dots removed? (127.0.0.1)  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 07:54:34 AM »

d'oh... also slow

I wondered the other day what the 127001 telephone no was.
Now you mention the dots...  you could say the points have hit home

/gets my coat.  :paperbag:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »

This is not fair, I have never had one and would like a laugh. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »

Dad got another this week, he now resorts to saying he doesnt have a computer.

>> This is not fair, I have never had one and would like a laugh.

Ive only ever had the one...  at which point the guy on the other end got angry with me and told me I was taking the pee.. and he put the phone down on me!

::)

-----

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »

Guess we are doing some of our security right. :)

anything