Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gross Extortion  (Read 5593 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Gross Extortion
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »

Gentlefolk,

This is a tale (Rant??) of woe and warning !!!

Many moons ago, on the day the iPhone 3G was launched, I hurtled into the local Vodafone shop to purchase this magnificent piece of modern technology.
I used it for a year or two but then decided to transfer to O2 mobile (pay monthly on a tariff shortly to be increased to just under £17.00) as, at that time, they were quite Apple-friendly.

I have continued again contentedly until, as an OAP, I needed to reduce my outgoings to match my mobile requirements.
As I have the best possible UK broadband (Except for the truly enlightened folk such as B4RN) and phone service from Virgin Media, I found that for £10.00 pcm they would provide 250 minutes of calls, unlimited texts and 1 Gbps data.
Virgin did warm me that I required to have an unlocked iPhone.

I obtained my PAC from O2 to transfer my old phone number to the new Virgin SIM. I told the Virgin agent that I wanted to transfer the number and gave her the PAC which she then told me would be activated in 24 hours. I inserted the new SIM only to find that it couldn't be unlocked despite following the agent's advice.
I spent a merry hour "Chatting" to O2 who eventually told me that they couldn't unlock the phone as it wasn't purchased from them.
Off I go to the local O2 shop to be told that same message but that I must return to Vodafone. Thankfully they are nearly opposite where I'm told that's nonsense as their unlock codes can't unlock a different Provider's lock. Back across to O2's senior manager where eventually I was provided with the URL:-

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

I completed this last night being informed that they would contact me within 28 days !
Imagine my surprise to get an e-mail first thing this morning from O2 - only to find that the process had failed.

Furthermore I now have a useless iPhone which won't work on either network.
Yet another hour's "Chat" to O2:-

O2 GURU - Alex: at 11:24:34
I've discussed the matter with my supervisor and he has given me a great advice and through that you can get the phone unlock./

Walter Willcox: at 11:25:09
O.K. so please tell me how to do this.

O2 GURU - Alex: at 11:25:14
You can get a free pay as go SIM, Top- it Up, make a chargeable call so the iPhone can be registered with the number.

O2 GURU - Alex: at 11:25:57
Once the number is registered then please contact us we'll arrange the unlocking within 72 hours and £15 from your call time balance.

Simples !!!![/b]

Except that I have to pay £20 for the privilege and it seems wait up to another 14 days without a workable phone after I've used my PAYG balance of £3.00.

They also refuse to refund me any money from my last pay monthly bill.
Perhaps I should cancel the DDR now, but then I'll have a black-listed credit rating.

Wait for the next exciting episode of this quite abominable gross extortion.
Cue Archers music !!!

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Gross Extortion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »

What a performance. 
I dont honestly know for sure, but if you are using the phone now with an O2 sim, to me it implies its not locked to Vodafone?

Alternatively there may be places in your local town centre who may be able to unlock it for you, the going rate around here seems to be £5-£10 depending if you take it to the market or a shop.

I know vodafone do an unlock for free service if you have had the phone with them for more than a year.   I gave my HTC to my dad and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I requested the unlock code and the next day I got all he information I needed in an email via a 3rd party completely FoC.

This is what I was sent

Dear Customer,

Reference Number: xxxx
Mobile Number: xxxx
IMEI Number:    xxxx

Further to your communication with Vodafone regarding the unlocking of your HTC handset, I have set out the following procedure and unlocking code:

1. Insert the SIM card that you wish to use in the handset 2. Switch handset on.
3. Display will prompt to enter the Unlock Code 4. Enter xxxxxxx 5. Press OK 6. The handset will now be unlocked

NOTE:  For any reason, if unlock code is wrongly input, the phone will intentionally delay the next attempt and it will exponentially increase the delayed time for every mistaken trial.  This will avoid tamper by guessing.

I hope that you will find this information straightforward, however should you require any further information or assistance, please contact the Helpline by calling 191 from your mobile phone or 08700 700191 (Vodafone contract) or 08700 776655 (Vodafone Pay as you Talk) from a landline.

Yours Sincerely
NUC Resolutions

The phone still shows the vodafone logo after a cold boot, but it will accept any Sim card.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Gross Extortion
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »

The phone still shows the vodafone logo after a cold boot, but it will accept any Sim card.

At boot time that is because the OS in the phone still has the Vodaphone logo assembled into it. To remove that you would probably need to root the phone and install a vanilla OS for the phone.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP