Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG533 router (TalkTalk) V1.15t telnet no longer works  (Read 5241 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
HG533 router (TalkTalk) V1.15t telnet no longer works
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »

Some time during the last week or so, my TalkTalk supplied HG533 router had new firmware automatically installed, going from 1.14t to 1.15t.

Last night I noticed that my S/N margin had dropped from it's usualy 6.0 to 3.3, although it was holding the line ok and there weren't too many errors.

I thought I'd start Routerstats Lite logging it (via the telnet interface) only to have that program repeatedly hang.
After much tinkering (and blaming routerstats lite) I found that I can no longer telnet into the HG533  >:(

From my previous postings about this router, you might know that the CLI was incomplete, some useful commands like those to show bitloading etc returned nothing at all, but at least Routerstats Lite would communicate and provide basic line stats.

Not any more, unless anyone is aware of a fix (other than reverting back to 1.14t)?

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG533 router (TalkTalk) V1.15t telnet no longer works
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

. . . unless anyone is aware of a fix . . .

A gentle tap with a big hammer, perhaps?  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

Oh dear,  that doesnt sound too good. It seems to be a trend now that most ISPs are well and truly locking down their routers.
Off the top of my head does this now only make all of the bigboys providing locked down routers?   If so theres only PN's/Zens TG's that I can think that isnt..  unless you go to one of the smaller ISPs....   or use your own.   

As soon as I can find a decent vdsl2 router that does what I want at a decent price, then Im buying.    Theres a huge gap in the market place.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »

I've been humming and hawing for a while about what to get to replace it, and I can't decide.

I have to say it's otherwise been pretty good, hangs onto the line during low signal/noise margins better than the previous DSL-2780 supplied by Talk Talk, gives faster line speeds than the TP-Link can't-remember-the-model-offhand that I used for a while.

The BT HG612 looked tempting for a while, then there seemed to be a lot of problems with a firmware update that put me off a bit.  ???

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

The BT HG612 looked tempting for a while, then there seemed to be a lot of problems with a firmware update that put me off a bit.  ???

To me, that statement does not compute. Someone with a shed, solar panels, old car batteries (saved for a rainy day), a R-Pi and all sorts of other gubbins has been put off by comments over firmware?  :-X

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »

Would the original ECI I be an option ?

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »

To me, that statement does not compute. Someone with a shed, solar panels, old car batteries (saved for a rainy day), a R-Pi and all sorts of other gubbins has been put off by comments over firmware?  :-X

Although I like tinkering with stuff, for the internet I'd rather have something that doesn't need regular intervention - I'd rather it just works (although I don't want it to restrict me from tinkering if I want to  :D )

What's the current status regarding unlocking BT HG612's or similar?  If I get one, It'd be used on an ADSL2+ line - no fibre here.
Of course I've then got to find something for the wifi, haven't I?  :(

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »

What's the current status regarding unlocking BT HG612's or similar?  If I get one, It'd be used on an ADSL2+ line - no fibre here.

Wolfy's unlocked firmware, with the GUI reinstated and the BTAgent removed would be appropriate for your needs. No regular intervention will be required. :)

(Have you considered the wiki guide?)

Of course I've then got to find something for the wifi, haven't I?  :(

If you need wireless access, then yes.  ;)