Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Using Dslstats For The First Time  (Read 14583 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Using Dslstats For The First Time
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »

Nice software Eric well done. :thumbs:

Now I have put back a Netgear DG834GT as I have been having some problems with my Speedtouch router.
I gave Dslstats a go and i'm very impressed.
I have downloaded it to my 'Download' directory and once unpacked it I clicked on the 'sdlstats' and set it up.
I set a short-cut to the desktop but when I click on that I get
 'List index (0) out of bounds.

Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption.
Press Cancel to kill the program.
'
Any idea's to what gone wrong ? please.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Using Dslstats For The First Time
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »

That's a bit hard to understand. Does it still work properly if you start it by clicking on 'dslstats' as you did when you first set it up?
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »

Yes.
Well maybe not, it crashed a few times and once it just stopped recording.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »

Can you copy your dslstats.ini file to me please? (It's in ~/.dslstats).

I'll try to see if there's anything unusual in the configuration which might trigger such behaviour.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:14:50 PM »

As a test, I set up a symbolic link from the dslstats binary file to my desktop. Left-clicking upon that link started execution of the utility and it is operating quite correctly. No errors have been noted.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »

Thanks Mr Moggie. :)   It's hard to believe that a desktop link would cause such a problem.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »

Can you copy your dslstats.ini file to me please? (It's in ~/.dslstats).

I'll try to see if there's anything unusual in the configuration which might trigger such behaviour.

PM sent.

I also notice when I try to restore by right clicking icon in tray  then left clicking 'Restore' it flickers sometimes and fails to open and I have to repeat two or three times.
Do you think I should re-download and install ?.
Do I have to shut it down before I turn off computer ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »

Do I have to shut it down before I turn off computer ?

If you don't close it down you'll lose some data. DSLstats saves its current configuration, and data concerning errors and traffic (if you're monitoring that), when you close it down.

I recognise the issue with the tray icon, and I'll have a look at that. I don't think it's related to your other problem.

Now that you've preserved your current dslstats.ini, if you want to experiment then I suggest that you delete the ini file and set up DSLstats again from scratch, but start off by doing only the minimum configuration (just the login details) and see how it goes from there.

Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »

I set up a 'symbolic link' 0n the desktop again and that's works now. but.....

To day when I booted up this laptop I was under the the impression I ticked a box for auto start, but it did not  :'(
So I set up the program to start at boot in KDE desktop settings, logged out and back in but it opens up with no settings  :( also same if I use my desktop shortcut !.
Edit 2  It was my fault as I un hid the '.dslstats' file and called it 'dsltats-data' and created a shortcut to the desktop, but it did not like that. :'( ....  What will be the correct way to do that ? as I have put it back to default and it works on boot up ok and starts recording .

Got to fill bird seed and nuts up as it's snowing a bit and get back later to it, 2C outside now :o.
Edit. Just got back in before it's snowing heavier now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:04:55 PM by tickmike »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

I tried the ini file which you copied to me, and changed nothing apart from the login details. On both of my systems it works as it should, so there's nothing remarkable about the configuration which would explain your issues.

If DSLstats isn't picking up the configuration when it starts, that rather suggests that the ini file hasn't been saved. Please check that you are closing down DSLstats properly before logging out or shutting down the computer.

I noticed in the ini file which you copied to me that you set the sampling period to 15 seconds. This is grasping at straws a bit, but it's just possible that this is too frequent for the rather old DG834GT. It would be better, for the time being, to leave the sampling period at 30 seconds to eliminate this as a factor.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »

Ok Eric thanks (I was just editing the above when you posted ) .
I do not remember changing the sampling period but have set it to 30 again.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »

Edit 2  It was my fault as I un hid the '.dslstats' file and called it 'dsltats-data' and created a shortcut to the desktop, but it did not like that. :'( ....  What will be the correct way to do that ? as I have put it back to default and it works on boot up ok and starts recording .

Thanks for explaining that. :)  On Linux systems DSLstats expects to find its configuration files in ~/.dslstats, and that can't be changed by the user.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »

Do the snapshots have to go to a hidden directory ?. If so what's the best way to view them ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »

Do the snapshots have to go to a hidden directory ?. If so what's the best way to view them ?.

On the Snapshots configuration page you can select any directory you like to hold the snapshots.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »

On the Snapshots configuration page you can select any directory you like to hold the snapshots.
But you said it's not got to be changed  :'(
"On Linux systems DSLstats expects to find its configuration files in ~/.dslstats, and that can't be changed by the user[/color]."
Or is this not the same  ?. my brains cold today and not thinking right  ;D I'm going to turn on the CH .
Pages: [1] 2 3