Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apple Mac 30 years on.  (Read 9470 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Apple Mac 30 years on.
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:01:23 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Apple Mac 30 years on.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »

Best OS there is on the market. 'Updates' ?? Took up most of my life, with Gates OS. Never mind the 'Jet-plane taking off' noise that is a bog-standard feature of their towers. Them that dismiss Apple products have either a) Not tried them, or b) Can't afford them.
Snobbery ?? Possibly, but that is how the world spins around.
You get what you pay for, and as  a 'Mr Average' in the PC world (IE: I wouldn't have a clue how to construct my own PC), I just purchase 'Off the shelf' like I did with Gates 'Vista cr5p', and I would not go back in a million years. Apple are a far superior product for what I use it for.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »

Worth remembering that OS/X is Unix under the hood.  And Unix is literally the grandfather of all Linux distributions.   From sympathy and respect for the Forum's linux community I'll restrain myself from making more specific comparisons, but suffice it to say hat IMHO so many Linux users would be at home with OS/X; once you bring up a command-line window they have an awful lot in common.   :)

But how many know the correct pronounciation (used within Apple) is, as in Roman numeral 'X', 'OS Ten'?   :graduate:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »

As one whose early exploits were with Unix System III, the b*cat will just smile . . . enigmatically.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »

ha ha, never knew that, 7LM. May pay dividends at a pub quiz in years to come.  ;) ;D
Got to admit to 'Going fishing' with my post above, but no buggers biting tonight !!  :'(  :lol:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »

As one whose early exploits were with Unix System III, the b*cat will just smile . . . enigmatically.  :)

I'm impressed.   My own first intimate (but lasting, and influential) encounter was with SVR4  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »

ha ha, never knew that, 7LM. May pay dividends at a pub quiz in years to come.  ;) ;D
Got to admit to 'Going fishing' with my post above, but no buggers biting tonight !!  :'(  :lol:

hahaha..  I'll bite.. 

give me a mo...  but dont expect it to be the best composition considering....

.... its been a long day as Ive been up since 5.30am
..... journeys which should take about 1hr 20mins, but atm are taking the best part of 3hrs...
.... Im on painkillers... 
.... and had a couple of glasses of wine which I havent been able to for the past few weeks due to being on metronidazole ,  and most likely wont be able to do again for another few,  as Im expecting to be re-issued with  more any day now....  so enjoying a glass bottle with my evening meal whilst I can....
....and you take it tongue in cheek.. not getting at anyone personally :)

:lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »

Its totally horses for courses and different o/s work best for different people.  I'll let the Linux users fight their own corner.

I'm not sure what spec of PC you're comparing your Apple Mac to, but you have to remember that windows is an operating system so if yours sounded like a jet taking off, then it was likely an old and cheap model.   :(
My PC isn't noisy, there's a video on these forums somewhere of it with its case side off and its still whisper quiet.  It has to be - as its on 24/7.  It also gets a lot of hammer at times with some of the programmes I run which can be resource hogs.

You cant compare like for like if you are talking £300  pc versus £1500 mac.  The idea of any pc is you select your hardware THEN put on your operating system of choice, be it Windows or Linux of some flavour.  You can't blame Windows for poor hardware.  That's like blaming Esso  because your car exhaust is noisy.  Blame dell or who ever for the selected hardware config.

I don't have any problem with windows updates. I have to reboot far more often due to java or adobe type updates than I do for windows updates.    My PC can go for many weeks without having to reboot.   

The blue screen issue is also a fallacy, ironically i have just had abad episode of this.. It wasn't windows, it was my graphics card.  Which was solely down to nVidia stuffing up their updated drivers.  Prior to this it must be 10yrs since I've personally had a blue screen.

There's audit reports in another post to back up these stats.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13129.0
Yet I'm not all pro windows, vista IMHO was carp.  XP and win7 are perfectly good and stable operating systems.  My gripe with vista is they tried to give the user less control over what they wanted to do and nanny them far too much.      Kinda like how apple takes away the ability for me to do what I want to do on my ipad, in effect making parts of the Internet unavailable to me.. 

That is far worse IMHO and I freely acknowledge I made a mistake buying an apple.  I got sucked into the apple ethos because of other apple devices I had,  I'm moving away as soon as I can afford to replace what I have.
I can't understand how MS got hauled over the coals for shipping IE with windows, yet apple gets away Scott-free and only ship safari in their os..  And even worse make apple make it impossible to fully integrate chrome which I prefer.

Apple dont do gaming machines either, gamers and pro users will always go pc.

Call it snobbery if you like, but the price of apple is ridiculous and no I don't feel I got what I paid for.   I feel ripped off by the price of extras and inflexibility of upgrades.    If you want to call paying £320 for 16GB of memory compared to £120 of Crucial RAM ..  Or £30 for a spare iPhone/ipad charger compared to £5 for a genuine galaxy or htc charger...   Then that's not getting what you pay for.   In my my that is gross overcharging the apple fanboys and that's one of the reasons why I moan..  I hate feeling ripped off by vastly inflated prices. £25 for a 2m USB lightning cable makes me spit.   99p for other systems.   

On the plus side apple are sexi and do have good looks, but IMHO their restrictions, lockdowns and ripping off consumers with inflated prices mean they ain't all they're cracked up to be.

So its each to their own. 

-----
Posted from an apple device, meaning I can't post proper links without losing my whole post.  Any typos blame the ios auto correct and not the rather nice bottle of white Grenache I'm enjoying ;)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »

Posted from an apple device, meaning I can't post proper links without losing my whole post.  Any typos blame the ios auto correct and not the rather nice bottle of white Grenache I'm enjoying ;)

That's spookily close to what I set as my default email signature for a while, to replace the default  'sent from my iPad'.   :D

As for equipment costs, don't discount the Mac Minis, not exactly cheap at about £400 - £500 upwards, but not so catastrophically expensive as some may think.  I also agree with BS re noise levels.   One would think that the Mac Mini would be comparable with any orher small form factor Intel PC, but it is in fact utterly (and I mean utterly) silent, somebody has put real effort into that.   It also never gets remotely warm, which means it uses little electricity and adds little to my summer energy bills. 8)

I actually count myself as fairly OS-agnostic... Unix background, then along came home computing (windows), then I needed a media and NAS server (linux) and then I got into iOS app development (OS/X).   All have their pros & cons.   :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »

Just to add...........

I have used a Windows 7 desktop PC for around 3 years now.
It cost around £300, it is whisper quiet & unlike XP (which was actually pretty stable) it never, ever completely crashes.

A very wide range of very good software can be obtained free of charge or for low cost & most importantly, for XP systems upward, all Windows PCs...................

can run HG612 Modem Stats & DSLStats  :lol: :lol:

(for those of us users who can't justify spending £3000 or so on a hand held JDSU)

I haven't tried Windows 8, nor do I wish to (yet), but I have read exellent reports about it (once a proper start menu/desktop program has been installed - FREE of chage).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

I like it :lol:
  Eric

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »

It looks like I will have to move to Win7 with the rapidly approaching demise of WinXP.

My Dell is not quite 10 years old and is struggling so it's probably time to replace it and change over OS - and by now win7 should have had all the bugs in it ironed out....Win8 has got several years more of customer testing (for which the customers seem willing to pay) before I'd touch it.

But I will say that in the 10 years of XP I have had just one Blue screen of Death.
I have had several 'hangs' where it simply stops responding to anything - traced to VLC player being used/open/minimised at the time.  Once I stopped using it and used Daum instead the computer stopped 'hanging'.
I did have a period in 2010 when for some reason on occasions a ccscvhst process took over the computer to near 100% cpu and required a reboot to stop it.  A Factory reset to day one conditions and re-install of updates and my software cured that.

Oh and I cleaned it inside once.

So the question will be will I hate Win7............
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:33:25 AM by c6em »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »

Well I have never owned a Mac but have some expeience of running older Mac OSes courtesy of an emulator I ran on my Amiga A4000 and even in those days I liked the Mac OS. However I still hold the Amiga in high regard, it was probably the best PS/OS combination of its time which was effectively killed off by incredibly bad management, without doubt it had an OS which was years ahead of all its rivals and probably still would be if the right people had been in charge of it.

As to PCs noise it is perfectly possible to build a home PC which is almost silent apart from hard drives which still tend to generate noise, as yet SSDs are not yet cost effective in large sizes. It is quite easy to obtain silent graphics cards for PCs (as long as you are not a gamer  ;) )

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

So the question will be will I hate Win7............

I thought I would hate it, but as soon as I got used to the differences, I started to (& still do) love it.

Note:

It doesn't come with Outlook Express & a version isn't available for Win7.
I tried Outlook, but couldn't use newsgroups so I now use Thunderbird which was the best I could find after trying out other email programs (again, free of charge).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »

LOL, got myself a couple of fish there.  :lol: I knew you (Kitz) would be all over it like a rash, and that was why I cast the line.  ;) ;D ;D

I'll be honest with you, I have no knowledge at all with OS's. No deep desire or need to enhance what I know now, which is to do the very basic things with my PC. That may change in the future ??
So, I don't "Blame" Windows or any other OS on the market, as I'm not that 'Into it' to draw comparisons. With that in mind, my reasoning to opt for Apple i-Mac over MS products is purely down to the look and sound of the thing. It is first-class engineering without a doubt.

Like I say, after only having the Apple for a short while, the noticeable (nay, extremely noticeable) differences are the 'Loading up' times, the pretty much non-existant 'Upgrades', the picture clarity and the sound clarity. I spend an awful lot of time at my PC, too much my wife would say, so as I had the cash and my Vista cr5p was slowly killing me, I decided that it was justifiable to fork out on something I use nearly every day of my life. My 'User experience' has gone up to the better ten-fold, from MS/Windows type systems.

Paul (BE) ....... I also take my JDSU to bed with me. It's like one of the family.  :lol: :lol: