Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: D-Link DSL3780 - routerstats wont connect  (Read 25847 times)

delia

Re: D-Link DSL3780 - routerstats wont connect
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »

I have manged to get RS working by typing in the command
adslphxcmd info --show instead of
/usr/bin/adslphxcmd info --show  that Blackeagle suggested:

Make sure the middle 'dot' is selected for broadcom in the chipset selection, then delete everything in the box at the side and type in /usr/bin/adslphxcmd info --show

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:30:08 PM by delia »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »

Rather belatedly (sorry), I'm pleased you got it working.

I've been building some support for the DSL-3780 into DSLstats. I decided to buy one on eBay for not very much, to support the development. I've got it working, plotting data and recording it, although there's some information which simply doesn't appear to be available, such as bitloading. Unfortunately the router itself proved to be an unstable performer here, repeatedly dropping the PPP connection, so I couldn't leave it in place for long. I'll come back to it when I have some more time, but in the meantime I can offer partial support for this model.
  Eric

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »

Nice one Eric  ;D  Delia is currently away I believe, but I'm sure she'll be delighted on her return.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

delia

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

Thanks for your help roseway. I have tried to get dslstats working for my router without success so far. I have entered the login name and password, but the event log just keeps saying "No data received." I'm sure I must be missing something really obvious  :-[
My PC runs 64 bit Windows and I downloaded the 32 bit Windows version, could that be why it doesn't work?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »

Delia, did you select the DSL-3780 from the "Modem/router model"  drop-down list? And just to be clear, the login name and password are the details you use when logging into the router, not your ISP login credentials.
  Eric

delia

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

Yes to both questions  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »

One more thing then - please make sure that the CLI command prefix (still on the login page) says 'adslphxcmd'. If it already does say that, then it looks as though I've goofed in some way. :)
  Eric

delia

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »

Yes it does  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:02 PM »

Right, thanks for checking those things. As soon as I can, I'll connect up my DSL-3780 and try to find out why it isn't working for you.
  Eric

delia

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

Many thanks  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »

I think I've worked it out now. Delia, have you changed the router login password from its default value ('admin') to something else? I've now realised that the login password for telnet is always 'admin', even when you've changed it in the web interface. So, in DSLstats, the password which you enter in the login page should be 'admin'.

The data you can currently see is very limited - just the SNRM and Connection speed graphs, and some data on the Stats page. I'll try to tidy it up and fill in some gaps for the next release.

(If it still doesn't work for you I'll have to don my thinking cap again).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:27:13 PM by roseway »
  Eric

delia

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »

You are correct, I had changed the password. I have changed it back to admin as you suggest. Unfortunately, I am still getting "Modem/router failed to respond to telnet request."

Interestingly, Router Stats works fine with my changed password. I am getting bothered that I have done something stupid and don't want you spending ages trying to find my mistake!

Stop Press!
I have just re-booted the router and DSL Stats is now working- with my changed password!  :-[
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:48:54 PM by delia »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:35 PM »

No need for embarrassment, I probably didn't explain myself well. I'm pleased you got it working. :)
  Eric

delia

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »

Now this is quite strange. I've just switched PC on and started dslstats and it's saying "Modem/router failed to respond to telnet request." I haven't changed anything since last night when it worked fine.

Also, when I type "telnet 192.168.1.1" into the Run box, the box shows connecting.... then disappears.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »

The router has a limit on how many simultaneous telnet connections it can support (that number may be two). It appears that something has caused the router to think that it already has the maximum number of connections, so it rejects any more attempts to log in. If when you last closed down Windows, there were two connections already there, then it could be that these weren't disconnected on shutdown.

If you've been using Routerstats, you should always press its stop button before closing down, because it stays connected via telnet all the time it's running. If you've been logging in manually, you should always logout when you've finished, for the same reason. In the case of DSLstats, it's possible that you shut down the PC while it was in the middle of sampling, which could possibly also result in a stale login remaining.

All this is speculation, but I can't think of anything else. If I'm right, then I'm afraid that rebooting the router again is the only cure.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4