Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Problems with Sync and Speed  (Read 23280 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Problems with Sync and Speed
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »

Those are pretty normal looking figures. You've got a rather long line to the exchange (49 dB attenuation) and a connection speed of 5000 kbps is about as much as you can hope for. The noise margin is not unusual either - 6 dB is the default starting point, after which it will drift up and down depending on interference conditions. As Kitz said, if you leave your router switched on it will find its own level and hopefully then will be stable.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »

its always switched on as it is.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »

Leaving it switched on, means leaving it on and not resetting it every time you want a faster sync speed.

Like it or not, some lines, especially longer ones, are subject to interference, which gets worse in the evenings. There isn't a great deal you can do about this, if you've checked everything in your home, which it seems that you have.

As more people get faster broadband connections on your exchange, increased crosstalk (essentially the signal leaking from one phone line onto another one) will unfortunately interfere with your own connection. Something else along the long path of your line may have recently started to cause additional interference. Either way, I don't think you're going to be able to do anything about it.

You are still getting a good speed for your attenuation, as Eric has said.

So basically you really have two choices:

1. Leave the router alone, don't keep resetting it. It will settle at a certain speed and stay there.
  Pros: Connection stability. Don't have to keep messing with router.
  Cons: Not as quick during the day when it could be quicker.

2. Keep resetting the router during the day in order to sync higher.
  Pros: Faster speed during the day, assuming IP profile is updated accordingly.
  Cons: Line resyncs in evening as SNR drops below usable level. Also BT's DLM may interpret resetting router as a fault and bump up your SNR margin, causing you to get even lower sync speeds overall.

Hope that helps :)
Chris

shape

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »

I think your doing well with your line length too.
I'm currently sync'd at around 3.5 meg on a 38db attenuation with 6db snrm.
Could be worse my friend ;-)

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »

true. il do what you guys say. not mess with my router or turn it off and on each day. I did this morning and im still syncing at 5408 so we will see what happens. if it drops i will have to live with it.

il give it a couple of days. if my router syncs and stays at 4900 like it did last night then thats good as thats a 4mb connections so il still get around 420kB/s download.

***Please see my new thread in this same section 'Ring Wire Removal Diary' for more info on my stats and what I have found out***
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:01:46 PM by jaydog »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]