Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Problems with Sync and Speed  (Read 23318 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Re: Problems with Sync and Speed
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »

ok, so should i just reset my router every time i go to bed at night so that the previous day has a higher sync, and just deal with a lower sync in the evenings?

this is effecting my speed by alot - its a difference of 100kB/s download speed!

is there anything i can do? its always in the evening.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »

I think it is more likely to be contention, which you can do nothing about, that is causing most of your evening drop in speed. I sync at full rate and I am only 600 metres from the exchange but my download was down to 1.5 meg last night, and I'm (allegedly) on 20:1 contention ratio business service.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

ok, so should i just reset my router each night so i can then have the higher sync each day? or is it not advised to keep resetting the ip profile?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »

Well you'll definitely save some electricity which is good and if you get a higher sync for at least part of the day you're in a win-win situation. :)

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »

so this wont do any harm then? switchingmy router off, then on again every night?

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »

so this wont do any harm then? switchingmy router off, then on again every night?

No it doesn't do any harm. The exchange will only get 'upset' if you reconnect many times in an hour, not once or twice a day.

I would use RouterStats to monitor your SNRM and see if this is going too low in the evening and dropping sync.
I moved from a Netgear like you, to a Speedtouch 585v6 which sorted everything for me.
My experience (with RouterStats graphs showing the difference between routers): www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adsl-snr

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »

i can see aol used to, or now do give them away.
my router was from aol for free, but i thought netgear dg834g was a really good one?

iv always got an snr of around 4dB all through the day, so its low in general. how can i increase this? is there a way?

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:20 AM »

my router is still holding on from its re-sync yesterday evening at 4928, whats weird is im still getting the faster download speeds of 500kB/s which I actually shouldnt be doing with this sync rate, right?

im gonna leave it at this sync. I was getting the same download speed when it was in the 5200 figures anyway. i do however need to find a way to try and increase my snr and stop losing sync.

removing the ring wire has helped though, 100kB/s more in download speed, however not much in sync rate. Strange. By the way, I dont use the AOL software.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »

...removing the ring wire has helped though...

Glad I could help  ::)    Bit like pulling teeth  ;)

Your IP profile can take a few days (often 3ish) to update - so when you sync above 5120kbps you wont immediately go to a 4500 profile.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

it doesnt take that long now i believe due to Adaptive Max Logic - which means ip profile can increase within a few hrs.
my speed has dropped now anyway.

is there a way to improve snr then? mines around 4dB hence why it loses connection in evening. If i can increase snr then maybe i can hold on.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »

ok have just reset router and we are back up to a sync rate of 5400! it wont hold onto it though. is this something im just going to have to live with?

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 01:59:17 PM »

it doesnt take that long now i believe due to Adaptive Max Logic - which means ip profile can increase within a few hrs.
The new logic is percentage based so works quicker for large changes but going from one profile to the next still usually takes a few days.

is there a way to improve snr then? mines around 4dB hence why it loses connection in evening. If i can increase snr then maybe i can hold on.

Once you've optimised your internal wiring and ensured nothing in your home is causing interference the next step is to look at your router. As I mentioned before if you monitor your SNRM using an application like RouterStats it will show you what's going on. Here's my experience (with RouterStats graphs showing the difference between routers): www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adsl-snr

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

ok, i will monitor from now until tonight and then post a screenshot, maybe this will help?
right now, my snr is steadily at 6dB but keeps dropping to 2dB then back up to 6dB

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »

It is fairly normally for all lines to fluctuate during the evening.  This is when SNR is most likely to be at its highest due to more people being at home, more electrical stuff being switched on.. or even just crosstalk on the lines since more lines are likely to be in use.

If you are on a long line, then unfortunately it is a common feature that if you sync up in the early part of the day at a high speed, then come the evening time then the line will drop and have to re-negotiate. :/

Each time a line is dropped and re-negotiated at a lower speed, then this is recorded by the DLM / RAMBO

In cases such as this, then the constant renegotiation of sync speed can cause the DLM process to think that perhaps you need a higher target SNR.  Once the higher target SNR profile has been applied then that is something that is much harder to get rid of and will affect the maximum speed at which you can connect in the future.

As an example Im on a very short line - but even my SNR margin fluctuates depending on whats going on around.

Monitoring the SNR as you say is perhaps the best way to see what is going on, and perhaps help us see if the amount of decrease is acceptable.  Its probably best doing this not only in the day but also the evening.

In some cases it is best to leave the router switched on and let it find its own level.  Although the router has its own power supply, processor etc.. the one thing that it cant remember across a reboot is the best level for the line which it was previously sync'd at.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

i see what you mean now. i have monitored this before. it stays for the majority of the day at 6dB, occasionally dropping to 2, then around 6pm, it disconnects and my sync goes down.

most people have a much higher snr rate.

Here are my stats as we speak. I rebooted the router this morning:

ADSL Link                           Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed                   5408 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation                              49 db    14.5 db
Noise Margin                                          4 db        20 db

DownStream Connection Speed     5408 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed       448 kbps

What does this tell you? I can guarantee that by 8pm tonight, my sync will be under 5000
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything