Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Problems with Sync and Speed  (Read 23278 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Re: Problems with Sync and Speed
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »

well, the good news is, i did a reset of the router last night and i sync'd at 5128. 12 hours later, its still at the same sync rate, and due to this new Adaptive Max Logic (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm), i am already seeing vast improvement! My download speeds have gone from 385kB/s max, to 505kB/s max.

Apparently according to kitz's site, this adaptive max logic means that you see speed differences more or less immediatly depending on how higher your sync rate has increased.

The only thing is, will i lose this sync rate once we ge to this evening as alot of people report this and even I have seen this - how do I avoid this? Or sort it?

Also, is my connection set up correctly with MASTER SOCKET > FILTER > then a splitter in the filter to allow sky and home phone, and then adsl in filter.
Is one filter enough, and is this all the right way round?

Thanks.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »

Test Socket ---> Filter --> Adapter --> Sky Box.

This is the best setup.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »

Also, is my connection set up correctly with MASTER SOCKET > FILTER > then a splitter in the filter to allow sky and home phone, and then adsl in filter.
Is one filter enough, and is this all the right way round?

Yep, that looks right to me :)
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »

Test Socket ---> Filter --> Adapter --> Sky Box.

This is the best setup.

lol test socket? my main socket is just as good now as i removed the ring wire.
so i only need one filter then? and the sky box and home phone can be plugged into the splitter which is connected into the filter?

some people were saying the splitter had to go into the master socket before the filter.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 12:16:22 PM »

some people were saying the splitter had to go into the master socket before the filter.

It all depends on your setup and how far you have to carry the ADSL signal away from the master socket. As soon as you put a filter in, you cut off the ADSL signal from travelling any further down the 'chain' of phone wiring.

So if you need the router in a different room to the master socket, for example, you need to do this because you need to carry the ADSL signal to the other room:

Master --- Splitter --- (different room) --- Filter
              |                              |    |
              |                              |    |
            Filter                       Router  Phone
              |
              |
            Phone

But if you can have your router by your master socket, you can do what you've done i.e.

Master --- Filter
           |    |      ---- Phone
           |    |     /
       Router  Splitter
                      \
                       ---- Sky Box

Hope this helps :)
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »

yeh router is in same room as master socket.

the router is next to the tv, ps2, dvd player and sky box, and home phone - is this ok or could this be why i get disconnected sometimes and lower sync rates?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »

It certainly won't be helping matters if you've got problems anyway - can you try and move it as far away as possible and see if you get any more stability from it?
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »

well i didnt thinkit was a great idea to place the router in the socket upstairs? i thought it was best to go from the main socket.

the phone socket is directly behind all my electrical equipment too.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2008, 01:37:40 PM »

Oh yeah, you do right to leave it in the main socket. Sorry I didn't perhaps make myself clearer - I mean if you can move it so that it's as far away as possible... within the constraints of the length of the wires - sometimes even moving a little bit could be the difference between knocking your DSL out and leaving it intact.

It'll probably make no difference, but it's worth a shot?
Chris

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 06:03:14 PM »

Glad you managed to remove the 'ring wire' without electrocuting yourself  :'(
If everything is normally wired then you would be removing the ring wire from the NTE5 faceplate - this means you have disconnected your internal wiring as you do this so is dead(sic) safe!

I was a bit worried when you said "RIP IT OUT" - you could always have gently disconnected it  :police:
The phone system is only 50v and only when the phone rings, so there was little 'risk'...

Filters:
Apart from your ADSL router EVERYTHING connected to you phone system MUST be via a filter - do that and you can't go wrong.

Let us know how you get on overnight/during the evening.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »

ok sync has fallen from 5128 to 4928 as expected this evening.

it happens every evening. which isnt great as now my ip profile will drop hence lower speeds - and the ip profile gets updated much quickly now so you see the lower/higher speeds within a few hrs of the router having sync'd again.

im already now getting slower speeds at 385kB/s again when before I was achieving a massive 500kB/s download when my router had sync'd at 5128.

i need to find a way to stop losing the sync.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:39:21 PM by jaydog »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »

The phone system is only 50v and only when the phone rings, so there was little 'risk'...

Phone system is 50V DC but the ringing current is* about 90V AC. You can only feel the ringing current as a bit of a tingle. You can't feel the 50V unless you use you tongue. :P

*Well it certainly was when I was a telephone engineer although that was a very long time ago.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »

download speed increased slightly to 425kB/s but nothing like the 500kB/s i was getting earlier today, plus router is still at the lower sync of 4928, wheres earlier it was 5128

why am i losing sync every evening?! and how can i prevent this?! i thought maybe it was something to do with the sky box connected to the phone line?

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

On these forums electrical equipment and street lighting which create EMI is often blamed for a drop in SNR in the evenings which can cause a resync depending on your equipment. If it happens every evening it might be something static or routine being operated in your area.

hone system is 50V DC but the ringing current is* about 90V AC. You can only feel the ringing current as a bit of a tingle. You can't feel the 50V unless you use you tongue

That is still the same however I thought ringing was 75V?
Perhaps you were used to conducting electricity, I find the odd time we did internal shifts and came to encounter even 50V I felt it.
I feel a little sorry though for the CSEs' who touch the 100V ISDN wires whilst trying to cable it up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:08:24 PM by soms »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »

Perhaps you were used to conducting electricity

Oh, I was a world authority on conducting electricity; I got an 11,000 volt shock when I was six!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5