Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Problems with Sync and Speed  (Read 23259 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Re: Problems with Sync and Speed
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »

no chance, i wanna take it out normally.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 01:08:01 AM »

Get a bigger screwdriver. ;)

More seriously, if you cut it off right next to the screw you will still have enough slack to reconnect it in the extremely unlikely event that cutting it doesn't improve matters.

Feel the fear and do it anyway!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:11:48 AM by Astral »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 07:16:04 AM »

Are you sure it's a screw? It's usually an IDC connector (a tiny fork-shaped connector which the wire is pushed into using a special tool). With an IDC connector you can just pull the wire out and tuck it away where it won't touch other connectors.
  Eric

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 10:50:38 AM »

There was a period of supply where BT did source screw terminal variety.
We did a trial in research branch but I believe it was determined that the IDC connector won the day over the time to make each connection etc, the old rule applied whereby the accountants won again without consideration for joint longevity etc. Hope this helps.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:21 AM »

sorry, its not a screw its something thats holding down the wire.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:49:38 AM by jaydog »

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »

i have just plugged the adsl filter into the test socket at the back again and im now syncing at 5700 wheres its usually around 4600. This is without the extension splitter and without sky plugged in.

The only things that are plugged into the test socket right now are a filter, with my home phone and adsl attatched to filter.

i know alot of you say the problem may be the ring wire, but it is possible it could be the faceplate itself? im just really worried i will rip the ring wire out, and then my phone wont ring! plus, i have no idea how to remove the ring wire as its a weird connector thats pushing the wire down!

is it safe to have the faceplate off the socket for a few days to see if my ip profile is reset and i see faster speeds?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:58:31 AM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »

I can understand your worry of course. It's safe enough to have the faceplate off the socket for some time, but then your phone certainly won't ring because the extensions won't be connected.

The ideal solution would be to replace the faceplate with a filtered one like This or This but if you're not comfortable with doing the wiring then you probably don't want to go down that route. Unless perhaps you know a friendly electrician who would do it as a favour in return for a pint. :)

To be honest, the risk of losing your telephone ring is absolutely tiny unless you have some quite old phones. All modern electronic phones have their own ring generating circuitry and don't use the third wire anyway, and the majority of ADSL filters have a built-in ring capacitor and so don't connect to the third wire either. You could check it out by plugging a phone into the test socket and ringing your number from a mobile or get someone else to ring you. If it rings then you can snip the ring wire with confidence.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »

oh yeah good point!
i have the filter plugged into the test socket as we speak, with my phone and adsl plugged into the filter. my sync rate is very high at 5790 and my phone still rings.

i dont wanna snip the ring wire because i may get electricuted, and also part of the orange wire will still be plugged into the connection.

also, wont the ring wire still act as an antenna even if its unplugged, because the wire itself is still there behind the socket....

Also, how should i have this set up normally? I have sky telephone cable too to think about. How I usually have this connected is by:

plugging a filter in main socket, then an extension splitter into the filter, then home phone and sky plugged into the splitter, then adsl in the filter. Is this too much? Do I need more filters in this connection?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:18:11 PM by jaydog »

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »

also forgot to mention, about 8mths ago, i used to get sync rates of around 5500, and then all of a sudden it stopped syncing that high - this is why i dont think its the ring wire and that it may be the faceplate itself??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »

Dont adsl filters have their own capacitor in anyhow?
Therefore if the ring wire is removed and the phone is an older type then utilisation of an adsl filter will negate this.

I know a couple of years ago when I was setting up someones PC (dial up) which had a dodgy extension cable ..  the use of an adsl filter sorted the problem - even though the house didnt have dsl.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »

ok, all ring wires in house removed! phone rings. adsl on.

the first time i turned my router on i got a sync rate of 4600 - so not much change, however this is with the extension splitter plugged into the phone socket first.

when i changed it round to how i usually have it - filter in phone socket first, then splitter into filter with then home phone and sky in the splitter, i now have a sync rate of 5500.

so the ring wire has definatly made a difference - HOWEVER, it all depends if it hangs on to this sync rate fo rlong enough - it dropped yesterday when placed in the test socket - it was 5790, then it dropped to 5200. so time will tell i guess, but iv done everything i should have.

with me disconnecting and reconnecting so much today, is this ok or should i leave router off for a few hours then allow a fresh resync?

and finally, is my set up correct and optimized - i.e. how my filter/splitter is and the way round it is? or do i need 2 filters from the splitter - one for home phone and adsl, and another filter for sky?
thanks
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:59:56 PM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »

I should leave the router on now, rather than force another disconnection by switching it off. It may well resync to a lower speed in the evening, but it still ought to be higher than it was before, which will push you up a notch in the IP profile.

Well done for plucking up the courage by the way. :)
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »

hi, yeah its dropped from 5700, all the way down to 4800 - which is what it was before!

how can i get it to stick at the higher sync so that in a few days i get a higher speed? is there a way to do this as the previous poster said that it may drop because of me disconnecting alot today.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:06:49 PM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 07:20:10 AM »

Frequent disconnections can indirectly reduce the connection speed because the DLM process may decide that the line is unstable, and increase the target noise margin to stabilise it. This could have happened in your case, but in any event, if you're now connecting at 4800 kbps then you seem to have achieved your initial objective to go up a step in IP profile - it should rise to 4000 kbps in a couple of days or so.

If you want to try to go further than this, then a filtered faceplate would be the way to go.
  Eric

farmergiles

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 10:21:17 AM »

When I use BT Speedtester I have to use IE and not Firefox. It doesn't work properly it says something about system error.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything