Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Problems with Sync and Speed  (Read 23137 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Problems with Sync and Speed
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »

I really dont understand whats happening here.

I can get 4.5mb maximum in my area.

My modem syncs at a downstream connection rate of around 4500kbps, but alot of the time disconnects once a day and this changes slightly.

However, in speed tests and on downloads I achieve a maximum of 380kb/s.

I am connected via a wireless adapter. I use a Netgear DG834G and a Netgear WG111 Adapter.

FIRSTLY, Is 380kb/s correct for a modem syncing at 4500kbps?

ALSO, I plugged my modem into the test socket behind the BT faceplate, and my modem syncs at a massive 5600kbps, then drops half an hr later to 5215kbps. The wires - 2, 3, and 5 are connected behind the faceplate, however, the ring wire 3 wont make a difference while connected to the test socket right?

Do you think I should forget wireless and go via ethernet instead? To do this would mean having the router plugged into the upstairs phone socket.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:45:25 PM by jaydog »

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
Re: Problems with Sync and Speed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »

You need to post your line stats: sync / attenuation / snr

Sounds like your internal wiring is affecting your connection. I would remove the ring wire.
If I understand you correctly you're asking why your sync changed (for the worse) when you are connected to the test socket? This could be for a number of reasons - fault on the line, dodgy router, low snrm etc.

Where are you performing the speed tests?
Have you tried speedtester.bt.com to see what that reports and what your current IP Profile is?
If you are losing connection every day then that wont be helping your profile...

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »

I just removed it from the test socket, put faceplate back on, and now my router syncs back at around 4500.

If I remove the ringwire, my phone may not ring then depending on whether my filters have the technology though right? If they are cheapy filters, my phone wont ring, and i cant take that risk.

Stats are:

ADSL Link                   Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    4480 kbps        448 kbps
Line Attenuation              49 db     14.5 db
Noise Margin                         3 db        19 db

DownStream Connection Speed     4480 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed    448 kbps
VPI    0
VCI    38

My main point is why i get higher sync speeds when plugged into the test socket, and also, is 380kb/s max download speed correct for a 4500 sync speed or am i losing lots of potensial speed because im wireless?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:24:03 PM by jaydog »

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »

There's not a lot of risk! Carefully remove the ring wire and then test your phone!
Either call yourself on a mobile or get a friend to call...

You'll have to have pretty old phones for them not to ring.

Your internal wiring is definitely slowing down your connection.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 06:40:45 PM »

i have a digital cordless phone, its not an old one, so if i remove this ring wire, my phone will still ring?

I heard that if you have cheap filters, then your phone may still not ring because the filters done have the technology to make your phone ring...? Am I wrong?

I have just put faceplate back on and reconnected the phone and modem back to phone socket, and sync rate now fallen back to 4500.

Saying that, should a sync rate of 4500kbps give me more than 380kb/s download? If so, then it cant be my phone wiring because the router connects at 4500, the speed from router to pc is nothing to do with internal wiring.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:43:14 PM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Just to be clear, you're not mixing up your units are you? You're syncing at 4500 kiloBITS per second, but could it be that your download speed is 380 kiloBYTES per second?
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »

well on my router settings it says DOWNSTREAM RATE 4500KBPS

on utorrent, and other downloads, i get a maximum of 380kb/s

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »

Could you just humour me and try this test: http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Sorry to be a bit pedantic about this, but I want to be sure that we're speaking the same language. Torrent speeds are commonly specified as kiloBYTES per second, not kiloBITS.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

I'm afraid that makes no sense jaydog! Bits have a lower case b. Bytes are upper case B. 8 bits = 1 Byte.

So if the sync is 4500kbps and you are getting 380KB/sec then yes, this is fine. You are not losing any speed by being wireless.. wireless should be faster than your broadband anyway!

As regards your problem relating to sync rate, there has been some good advice in this thread. There's something in your internal wiring causing the speed variation.

Are you sure everything is filtered properly? Depending how your extensions are wired into the NTE5, they may or may not be filtered.

Try unplugging the ring wire first. But instead of asking whether your phones will stop ringing if you remove the ringwire (we don't know for sure, but we think it will be ok), why don't you try it... you can always put it back if you have problems.
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 08:06:42 PM »

Ok, my downstream rate on my router is 4500kbps

utorrent's fastest speed is 380kB/s

Does this make sense now? And I was told that you divide your downstream rate by 8 and this gives you what your maximum download speed should be - which doesnt match with what I get on utorrent - and I know what your going to say that u cant reply on p2p to give you fastest speeds, but I can from what I use as I have always got my maximum and always stays around 380kB/s

I cant just put the ring wire back if it then stops my phone ringing, you need a special tool to put the ringwire back and I havent got the time to go searching for a tool to sort it out afterwards.

Ive now gone and put the router back behind the faceplate in the test socket and only syncing at 4800 so not a drastic change from when its normally in the faceplate. Its just totally random what it initially syncs at when you reboot the router, but it sync'd at 5600, then dropped to 5200 - and itd probably keep dropping.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:21:12 PM by jaydog »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »

Thanks for clarifying what you're actually getting. With a downstream connection speed of 4500 kbps your IP profile will be 3500 kbps, and that is the limit of your download speed. So an actual download speed using utorrent of 380 kBps (kilobytes per second) is about the level you would expect.

If you look at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm and particularly the chart at the bottom of the page, you'll see how the IP profile relates to the connection speed. You'll see that, if you could increase your connection speed by just a small amount (i.e. to over 4544 kbps) your IP profile will rise to 4000 kbps. Disconnecting the ring wire is quite likely to make that difference.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »

Sounds about rightish
380 KB/Sec = 3040 kbps (380 x 8 )

Remember you will never get the full speed that you sync to the exchange at because of such things as TCP/ATM overheads.
Then you also need to bear in mind any variations in your IP profile if you are on a non-LLU connection.

AS roseway has already pointed out - if you do a speedtest at the bbmax link he provided it will show you your throughput speed in kbps.

You may also want to read this - adsl speeds

----
[edit]
Mine and roseways posts crossed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »

ok but how do i disconnect the orange wire as the screw just wont turn!

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »

im tryin to do this bt speedtester thing, i enter my number, then it asks for login details - so i type in my internet logon which is ******@aol.com and i get this:

System Error Image not loaded

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 11:54:07 PM »

Just chop the wire, you won't be needing it.

BT speedtester is notoriously fickle. Try again tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything