Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC Roll Out  (Read 14177 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC Roll Out
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 08:01:05 PM »

NGA= Next Generation Access. In other words, Fibre Broadband.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:42 PM »

Ha ha, Walter. OK then …… PCP7 is opposite No.7 Hicks Common Rd, near entrance to Harcombe Farm.  :)

And this is what it looked like in June 2009 . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:43 AM »

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!

Thanks - that PCP is about 200m from pop 'n mom's house!  But about 2.5km from the exchange............  surprise, surprise no-one from the council called back yesterday so that's 1 of today's tasks when they wake up!!

Thanks everyone v.v.v. much appreciated.

z1ts

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »

Have at last received a reply from the council:-

"Parts of Winterbourne are in the intervention area and will be surveyed during 2014. The surveys will give us a more accurate view of the detailed deployment plan, including which solution will be deployed in which area, and when. Until the surveying in Winterbourne has been completed, we do not know if cabinet 7 will be upgraded, or what technology will be deployed if the cabinet is upgraded, as this is all subject to the survey results."

Does anyone know of any other 'technology' that could be used as a solution to dire broadband that the council could deploy if they don't use FTTC?  Just curious!

Also without being too cheeky - I wonder if anyone is able to poke around in their 'info' and find roughly how many properties are connected to Cab 7 on the Winterbourne exchange...?!  I suspect it's precious little and that's the reason it's not been commercially viable and knowing our luck it'll be one of the cabs left as meeting this requirement:- "The remaining 6% of premises will have access to a minimum broadband service speed of 2Mbps"!!

The fibre cable running 'up to' Cab 7 (mentioned by an esteemed member of this Forum  ;) ) - is there some sort of termination/junction at Cab 7 that it would be fairly easy to 'tap into' once a new DSLAM is installed?  Or does a fibre cable just happen to pass Cab 7 on its way to another lucky Cab & DSLAM?

(Excuse me if my comments/questions are dumb - I'm learning!)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »

Hi z1ts,

The fibre is not tapped in locally but has to come from the nearest aggregation node (i.e. the large "bullet" joint acting as a distribution node).

Tubes are installed in sections between joint pits. A sub-duct is connected with a hose-connector fitting whereas smaller tubes are connected in a standard cable joint-like enclosure.
Your two tubes, along with others going in your direction are included in a sheath looking remarkably like an ordinary cable, except it will have a yellow stripe.
Cable sizes start at 4 tubes and then there are 7 tubes, I think up to around 25 tubes. This type of fibre cable should not be confused with the "Sub-duct" used to bring a single large fibre cable to (usually) "daisy chained" joint bullets. The pictures below are the final distribution node with a single 7 tube "cable" ongoing.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/207538817/Sayers-Croft-Dist-Node-Fibre-Joint-5855

http://www.scribd.com/doc/207538831/Sayers-Croft-Dist-Node-Fibre-Joint-5857

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:55:35 PM by waltergmw »

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »

Walter - thanks for that.

This fibre lark is becoming gradually clearer!  So let's hope that there's a 'node' fairly close to Cab 7 to make it an easy deal for them to put a DSLAM alongside Cab 7!!  I'm fairly sure that the No. of users connected is quite few so it's gonna have to be reeeaaaaalllllyyyy easy for them to bother with it!  Oh well :(

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »

Well, here's the latest on dear old Cab 7 in Winterbourne:-

Dear z1ts

I said that I would let you know once I have any more information on cabinet 7 in Winterbourne. I can confirm that, at this time, cabinet 7 is not currently in the plan to be upgraded.

The aim of the Council’s Superfast Broadband Project is to achieve the best possible long-term broadband coverage for South Gloucestershire with the budget available. To achieve this, the rollout of the new fibre network takes into consideration a combination of several factors, such as existing infrastructure, current broadband access speeds, the number of homes and premises in the area and the distance of homes and businesses from the infrastructure (the telephone exchange or green street cabinet). 

This methodology will enable us to ensure that by March 2016, all premises within South Gloucestershire Council’s intervention area can access at least a standard broadband service (2Mbps). The project aims to ensure that 94% of premises across the county are able to access superfast broadband (24Mbps+). The rollout is being designed to ensure the network provides the greatest possible coverage with the available funding. We have taken into account many factors, including geography, planning requirements and the location of the existing telecoms infrastructure. These factors will dictate the order of the roll out. This approach will ensure the best value for money, but it does mean that we cannot deviate from how the network will be rolled out across the area, as doing so would result in a time-consuming and costly project, and would ultimately reduce the number of premises we are able to deliver superfast broadband to.

We don’t have enough funding to upgrade every broadband cabinet in South Gloucestershire. We are looking at opportunities to extend our coverage to include additional premises, such as your parents’ house, that are not currently in the plans to be upgraded.  We are constantly reviewing our progress and processes to ensure maximum time and cost efficiencies.  Any cost savings made will be reinvested into the project to extend our coverage further.  Central Government has acknowledged that, although investment in superfast broadband across the country has been significant, it has not been able to provide 100% coverage in most local authority areas. The Government has recently made further funds available as part of the Superfast Extension Programme (SEP). 

Providing superfast broadband remains a key priority for South Gloucestershire Council and we have already invested £2million into this complex infrastructure project. Additional funding will enable us to push the existing coverage even further. The Government has confirmed the SEP fund will need to be match-funded locally, so the next step is for South Gloucestershire Council to explore this opportunity in greater detail, and identify potential match funds.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Is there anything else we could potentially pursue??

It's all a bit annoying really, as the Cab is only about 600/700m from the Exchange and as the honourable Black Sheep pointed out the fibre passes Cab 7 so they've dug up the road once and laid fibre!!!  Also Cab 7 is about 200m from my parents' house so could be absolutely ideal for a FAST FTTC service!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »

the number of homes and premises in the area and the distance of homes and businesses from the infrastructure (the telephone exchange or green street cabinet). 

Well you have hit the nail on the head, it's all down to cost and if BT Openreach will make a profit by enabling an FTTC cab in your area, BT don't do this as kind gesture to the public they want a good investment  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »

Spot-on NS. Somebody who realises we are a business, and the 'Bottom line' dictates all. The universal rule for any business that wants to remain as such.

Not the news you wanted to hear z1ts, and I'm gutted for you, but maybe in time ??  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:19 AM »

Enabled exchanges

06/03/14

SAUID    Exchange Name    FTTC/P/FoD

NEBRT    BARTON                  FTTC
CMBEAC    BEACON                  FTTC
WWBRUL BRIDGERULE         FTTC
EABNW    BUNWELL              FTTC
LCCOC    COCKERMOUTH    FTTC
CMCOD    CODSALL    FTTC
ESCOW    COWDENBEATH    FTTC
WSGOU    GOUROCK    FTTC
WSHOL    HOLYTOWN    FTTC
EAILK    ILKETSHALL    FTTC
NDLEN    LENHAM                  FTTC
NEPG    PIERCEBRIDGE    FTTC
WNPON    PONTESBURY    FTTC
SLSC    SCARTHO    FTTC
THSE    SHERE                  FTTC
EMSHIRE SHIREBROOK    FTTC
EMWARSO WARSOP    FTTC

27/02/14

SSBAD    BADMINTON    FTTC
WMBLY    BLYTHE BRIDGE    FTTC
NEDB    DENTON BURN    FTTC/P
SSDBK    DRYBROOK    FTTC/P
THDF    DUNSFORD    FTTC
WSDUT    DUNTOCHER    FTTC
CMEAS    EAST (CENTRAL MIDLANDS)    FTTC
WSDOU    GLASGOW DOUGLAS    FTTC
ESGLC    GLENROTHES CENTRAL    FTTC
NSICL    INVERNESS CULLODEN    FTTC/P
ESKEL    KELSO    FTTC
LVCEN    LIVERPOOL CENTRAL    FTTC/P
MRWEA    Weaverham    FTTC

20/02/14

NEBW    BERWICK    FTTC
NESVL    SEATON DELAVAL    FTTC
SSABS    ABSON    FTTC
MRALD    Alderley Edge    FTTC
EMATTHE    ATHERSTONE    FTTC/P
LVAUG    AUGHTON GREEN    FTTC
SLBCC    BARTON ON HUMBER FTTC
EMBEEST BEESTON              FTTC/P
EMBLISW BLISWORTH    FTTC
MYBOS    BOSTON SPA    FTTC
SWDPW    DINAS POWYS    FTTC/P
EADNM    DOWNHAM MARKET FTTC
EALTN    LEISTON                  FTTC/P
WWMILV    MILVERTON    FTTC/P
CMRUB    RUBERY                  FTTC
EASXM    SAXMUNDHAM    FTTC
EMSRFLT SURFLEET    FTTC
WNTAR    Tarporley    FTTC

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:40 AM »

Thanks for publishing these lists. I look eagerly at them every time, but joy hasn't arrived yet. :)
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »

Ha ha, a pleasure to post them up Eric. I could type in your serving Exchange, and put FTTP next to it if it helps ease the pain ??  ;D ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »

Thanks for the offer, but... ;D
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]

anything