Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Homehub 3.0A unlock  (Read 33254 times)

ahmedfarazch

Re: BT Homehub 3.0A unlock
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »

Hello!

The image is in Linux format (as that is what runs on the BTHH3a) and cannot normally be read by a Windows OS. That is why you can't read it and there are likely no problems with the usb drives.

As far as BTHH3a seeing the usb drive is concerned, one may:
- confirm that you have the Type A and not Type B
- determine if a downgraded firmware is needed or not for unlocking (kindly see the pdf file with downgrade in title for details ... for the files shared by me via onedrive)
- use physical disk number when using DiskImage utility
- create Administrator account with same password as hub when needed
- use Win 7 preferably (even if it's a VM)

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Ahmed

ml66uk

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 02:18:46 AM »

Sorry for the late reply.  I was away when you replied, then my brother was away when I wanted to test the router at his place.  I'm up and running now thanks to your help.

I'd already checked I had a type A router, and had downgraded the firmware, but the problems I had included:

writing to the physical drive instead of the disk from DiskImage
possibly two bad USB sticks, both very old (I bought a new one)
assuming that I'd be able to read the image in Windows (it worked in Ubuntu)
At some point, I had to start using 192.168.1.254/usb2 instead of usb1.  I have no idea why.
I also had a problem when I was telneting to the router that the smb.conf somehow kept getting overwritten after maybe a minute or two, so that I couldn't get a connection.  I tried and failed a few times to connect to the router with kitty, and changing directories didn't help, but somehow I did finally get a telnet connection.

Anyway, it's all working now, thanks again!

Jimadine

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »

Thanks for that.  Is there a problem with the ext3.img file though?  If I write that image to a USB stick, I can't read it in Windows, and the Home Hub 3 router says "(File type not supported)".  I should be able to see files and folders right?

I've tried 3 different USB sticks, two versions of DiskImage, and also dd, but I've never been able to read anything off the USB stick afterwards.

The version of ext3.img I have is 33,208,222 bytes, and MD5 checksum 859324F7D69FD618D6A63049766E9F52.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Mark

The MD5 you quote is the same as for my (working) ext3.img file. I've also just gone through a very similar experience to you, in relation to the HH2B. Have a read of my recent post about it at https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6&start=20#p1985. In short, keep trying until you find a stick that works. I found a solution, I'm sure you will (if you haven't already).

ml66uk

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »

Thanks, but I already got it working with some help from ahmedfarazch :clap:, and it's been doing a fine job at my brother's house for over a year now.  :cool:

I've just moved from BT Broadband to Origin Broadband, and had been hoping to unlock my Homehub 5, but it doesn't seem to be possible.  Being very environmentally-friendly, I find it disappointing that people up and down the country are forced into buying new routers they shouldn't need, but that's just one more reason to leave BT.  Origin Broadband apparently supply unlocked routers.

(I just found out that I'll have to return the router to Origin when I leave though, or pay £40.  I'll ask if I can return my Homehub 5 to BT. )
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:56:07 PM by ml66uk »
Pages: 1 [2]