Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DSLstats v4.41 released  (Read 14272 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DSLstats v4.41 released
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »

Re the resize issue, it did it again the other day after I'd done a reboot for an adobe update.
For some reason it didn't seem to recall that I'd previously resized it to make it larger.

It's no big deal, but just thought I'd mention it whilst I was typing in this thread.

>>> how about a scroll button.

What a good idea.    a "+1" from me too, if its not too hard to implement.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »

I have a feature request which would make DSLstats really impressive.  ;D

How about a left/right scroll button for some of the graphs thus avoiding the cumbersome sideways movements of the mouse or perhaps the scroll wheel could be used for this purpose?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at that. The scroll wheel is probably a better option than finding the space for more buttons.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

Re the resize issue, it did it again the other day after I'd done a reboot for an adobe update.
For some reason it didn't seem to recall that I'd previously resized it to make it larger.

At present, the window size and position are saved along with the rest of the configuration when you close down DSLstats. If you don't close it down properly, then any resizing (or other configuration changes) will be forgotten. I don't know what happens when an application is closed down by the operating system (when you reboot, for example) but I suspect that the OS just terminates the process and doesn't initiate a normal close-down. I'll have another think about the way DSLstats handles this.
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »

Just a thought for consideration.

I wonder about the error averages shown in dslstats.  I find differences between the errors reported in the tab and what I would deduce from the telnet data.  I am not sure how you cope with standbys and find with power on it take a while to get going, if it left running for while it all seems to make more sense.  However I wondered about the average tab or perhaps an alternative average tab being based solely on the telnet reported data but normalizing the stats into rates per hour etc for each of the telnet stat time difference categories.   The data is of course all there in the telnet data but a concise tab would be a more convenient way of checking it.  As I said just a thought. 

p.s. my apparent issue with spurious detection of no sync has not occurred again -- I have changed routers but I suspect it was actually a real no sync that I was unaware of as the consequence was to cause a tweak related resync.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »

It's true that I've struggled to keep the error averages consistent all the time, and DSLstats makes some fairly arbitrary decisions about handling the various events which can interrupt the smooth flow of data (such as standby). Your suggestion for a different way to do it makes sense, and I'll give it some serious thought.

Thanks for clearing up the 'no sync' issue.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »

Eric Ive been comparing the traffic stats with what TT thik my broadband use is for this month. I am a little puzzled as there seems to be quite a discrepancy between DSLStats and TT. For the 3rd Feb TT show download of 0.44GB but DSLStats shows 320MB now I know it depends on the router values but it does seem quite a significant difference (130MB if you count 1024 as a GB or 120MB if you count 1000 as GB). Have you any ideas on this please?

Also one request in this area, could you add a popup when one hovers over the relevant bar for the traffic graph showing the actual value rather than leaving the user to judge from the scales on the LH side?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »

Stuart, I can only suggest that you look again at what interface you're selecting to take the traffic data from. This seems a very inconsistent feature of the reporting from the router, and I've even seen the same router use different interfaces under different circumstances. I'm fairly confident that DSLstats accurately reflects the values from the router in its graphs (although I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong). What I do is download a couple of large files of known size and check that the increase in reported usage matches the size of the files.

Also one request in this area, could you add a popup when one hovers over the relevant bar for the traffic graph showing the actual value rather than leaving the user to judge from the scales on the LH side?

Yes, that's a good idea, I'll set that up.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

Eric I've been doing some more testing and seeing if I can find a better interface to monitor. One minor thing is that when you use Reset Current Day it does not reset the Traffic/minute at all.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »

One minor thing is that when you use Reset Current Day it does not reset the Traffic/minute at all.

No, it hadn't occurred to me that this was necessary, because traffic/minute isn't a cumulative value. But I can see that while you're trying things out, you might want to remove incorrect values from the history, and reset the scaling of the graph. I'll put this on the todo list.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything