Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: If it aint broken......  (Read 15026 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: If it aint broken......
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »

goes to check, this is possibly why the above mentioned nvidia sound drivers auto reinstall each time.

pft...   and there was me thinking Id got rid of the NV3DVision, GFExperience, HDAudio programs. 
Theres nothing installed under program files now, but in  C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\331.82\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\English its all still sat there probably waiting for me to update and auto reinstall again. 

Look at them all, sat there since 23/11/2013 which was the date of the update which screwed up my PC  :-\

Im not sure if I want to touch what Ive done nor mess with the graphics drivers now as it seems stable.   I wonder if I can just delete that folder..   going to try renaming it me thinks to see if it has any effect.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »

Good Job and it reminds we why I left ATI 15 years ago because of the bloatware in there divers and it looks like Nvidia is going down that route  :( so it's best to select the custom install with WHQL and avoid the full installation.

EDIT: I would leave the folder alone for now until the next time you un-install & re-install the Nvidia Driver but this time remove that folder and that folder will be rebuilt but this time it only show the files you need.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:39:57 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »

>>  it looks like Nvidia is going down that route

It sure does, as has many other companies with their software.   Why they enable by default services for items that the majority wont have Ive no idea. 

EDIT: I would leave the folder alone for now until the next time you un-install & re-install the Nvidia Driver but this time remove that folder and that folder will be rebuilt but this time it only show the files you need.

Ive renamed the folder to nvidia_crap   :-X  So far it doesnt seem to have affected anything, but admittedly I havent had to reboot yet.   As far as I can see the parts I want are under program files/nvidia, and the junk is at the root of c:

I can easily put the name back if anything breaks. 
Judging by the state of their forums and the fact they still havent got to the bottom of the black screening, then I think I shall stick with these drivers for quite a while.   

Thank you for your input - appreciated :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:09 AM »

Now don't laugh I updated to Nvidia 332.21 at 11pm all goes well until I use the NV control panel to change resolution and guess what it doesn't work  :D :D :D i think the Nvidia drivers department is having a crisis, rolled back to 331.82 and all is well.

So Kitz your correct it was the driver thats at fault not your GPU card or PC, and I don't know how Nvidia coders get away with sloppy workmanship, will wait untill 333.29 comes out and see if they have fixed it  :-[
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:53:29 AM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »

I'm not sure what's going on with their drivers right now lol.   From the forums it would appear that most of the problems were introduced with 331.82 onwards.    Not all were affected by that version.    I'm not sure what was going on with mne as it also did an auto update to a newer version somewhere before I realised it was the drivers.   

I suppose I could perhaps try 331.82 as standalone, because its also unclear whether it could have been some of the extra bulk installed with that version which caused mine.  The GeForce experience released at about the same time also seems to be causing issues.     :(
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything