Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Train ride across Norway  (Read 11887 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Train ride across Norway
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:28:37 PM »

You might remember this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12228.msg230481#msg230481 regarding a 12 hour Norwegian TV programme showing wood burning and related features.

I recently discovered that they've done another similar long broadcast, this time a 7 1/4 hour train ride across Norway, from Bergen on the Norwegian west coast, crossing the mountains to the capital of Oslo. The programme, called Bergensbanen is available for legal international download, though please note you'll need a bittorrent client and it's either 22Gb or 246Gb, depending on which quality you choose!  ???

I downloaded the smaller one, and the quality is still very impressive.  The views are also quite stunning, though it seems to be realtime, and thus passing through tunnels can be rather dull to watch  ;D

Here's the Norwegian broadcaster NRK's web site to tell you about it, in English, along with download links :

http://nrkbeta.no/2009/12/18/bergensbanen-eng/

Ian
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:08:34 AM by sheddyian »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Train ride across Norway
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »

Fascinating :)   I think I'll download it when I've got a few free minutes.
  Eric

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »

Just a heads up, this is now available on Netflix UK in HD. All 7hrs and 14 mins of it  :D Search for 'Train Ride Bergen to Oslo.'

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »

Just a heads up, this is now available on Netflix UK in HD. All 7hrs and 14 mins of it  :D Search for 'Train Ride Bergen to Oslo.'

Thanks for that, I am watching it right now.   We have just got to the end of the first tunnel. The tension in the tunnel was formidable, staring at a blank screen for several minutes with just the odd flicker of a green ‘traffic light’, until finally a flicker of daylight that grew larger and turned out to be Arna station, complete with a handful of ordinary-looking people waiting to board a train.   :)

Better half seems riveted too though, oddly, she insisted I carry on enjoying it while she went to put the veg’ on for dinner.   “No, really” she said, “don’t bother pausing it”.   She’s now missed two more tunnels!  :o

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »

Update on the movie, and my initial cynical tones.

We watched a bit more during dinner.  A couple of hours later, with dinner and various household duties out the way,  we settled in the lounge again.  In search of something to watch I suggested yet another Apollo documentary.  Better half’s response was   “I’d rather watch the train”.

I took that as sarcasm, so offered various other suggestions, from BBC news to Cop documentaries, to sitcoms...

“NO, REALLY.   I WANT TO CARRY ON WATCHING THE TRAIN!”

And so, to my surprise, we are still with it, and both genuinely enjoying it!  Just over 2.5 hours in, just over 4.5 to go. :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »

Just another update.   We’ve been watching the train ride in dribs and drabs.   Switched on tonight, a nice glass of wine in hand, small bowl of peanuts,  and...

... it’s gone.  Netflix seem to have pulled it. :'(

anything