Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Sync speed and snrm relationship  (Read 22366 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Sync speed and snrm relationship
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »

how long did you have to wait for fast path in days?

I been waiting a week and a half now.

Since I have raised a fault with plusnet tho I cant fiddle with the device, but if I end up still stuck on interleaving after an engineer has been I will try it then, but this is annoying as I was planning on downgrading the firmware again since the 2nd asbokid blob is more stable than the new BT one.

About 10 days for me to switch back to fastpath. I applied the first sync cap on the 7th, about 77000Kbps downstream. Then about two days later I decided to reduce it to 67000Kbps, have kept it there ever since.

@les-70: Clever idea.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »

ok thanks, so only a day or so after the 2nd sync cap then.

Balb0wa

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

how do you change it? i put the command in and it says too many parameters?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »

how do you change it? i put the command in and it says too many parameters?

At first guess it sounds to me like you don't have the very latest HG612 firmware.

I'm using B030SP06, unlockedgui-nobtagent, from Howlingwolf's post, on the download link it's located in the 'Experimental' directory. The latest firmware version only supports --maxDataRate.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »

To ixel I agree, what a few people dont realise or perhaps more than a few that a higher latency does slow things down, try browsing a website in asia and it feels slow thats because of the latency. 

I don't go outside the google homepage of .co.uk and what sites in asia are you looking at   ;)

sorry I don't get this Fastpath fasination that seems to hook the younger internet users they seem more concerned about lower pings than the overall modems well being on there connection, call me a fuddy duddy if you like  :D but on interleaved I can do the same stuff as a fastpath user so what is this all about ?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »

To ixel I agree, what a few people dont realise or perhaps more than a few that a higher latency does slow things down, try browsing a website in asia and it feels slow thats because of the latency. 

I don't go outside the google homepage of .co.uk and what sites in asia are you looking at   ;)

sorry I don't get this Fastpath fasination that seems to hook the younger internet users they seem more concerned about lower pings than the overall modems well being on there connection, call me a fuddy duddy if you like  :D but on interleaved I can do the same stuff as a fastpath user so what is this all about ?

In my case, when playing a first person shooter online I notice a 10ms to 15ms increase, generally my shots miss the targets more often and my kill to death ratio is worse than without the increased latency.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

In my case, when playing a first person shooter online I notice a 10ms to 15ms increase, generally my shots miss the targets more often and my kill to death ratio is worse than without the increased latency.

Cheers Ixel for updating and old Gamer like me 1982 to 2014 but then some gamers put the Kill Ration has decreased because the DPI on the mouse is not accurate enough  :P

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 12:44:49 AM »

Cheers Ixel for updating and old Gamer like me 1982 to 2014 but then some gamers put the Kill Ration has decreased because the DPI on the mouse is not accurate enough  :P

Ha. While true, that's not my case, because now I'm back on fastpath my gaming experience has improved again. I'm sure some other people have that issue though, where DPI is the culpret.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »

I think you are confused, fastpath doesnt only affect asia sites, it affects 'everything'.  I used asia sites as an example of seeing the affect of latency on performance.  Actually asia sites fastpath wont have much of an impact as the latency is already high so an extra 10-30ms on a already 300ms latency isnt a huge deal, but an extra 10-30ms latency on a 20ms base latency is a big deal.

You need to understand how tcp slowstart etc. works to realise latency affects performance on everything.

eg. before I got switched I was maxing out my upload to a german server of mine, but when I got switched to interleaved I only maxed out at about 14mbit/sec as the extra latency was enough for the send buffers to get maxed out on the latency.

Also some example's of asia based sites.

square-enix.com
asus.com

You dont have to be an asian to be accessing asian based sites, japanese based companies will host in their own country often. ;)

Latency is also the reason why 3g feels slow compared to fixed line based broadband. A 2mbit adsl connection will be way faster than a 6mbit 3g connection.  The reason is although the speed capacity is higher, because of the latency the speed takes much longer to ramp up.  In addition when doing things like loading a web page small packets have to be bounced back and forth initially to start the process, with high latency these small packets take longer.

Interleaving (with sufficient recieve buffers) wont affect bulk downloading, as the speed eventually ramps up and will be fast, but otherwise almost everything else is affected.

so here I am 6am 11 days after been put on interleaved with very low error rates still no fast path.  DLM way too conservative in recovery.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:58:41 AM by Chrysalis »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »

I think you are confused, fastpath doesnt only affect asia sites, it affects 'everything'.  I used asia sites as an example of seeing the affect of latency on performance.  Actually asia sites fastpath wont have much of an impact as the latency is already high so an extra 10-30ms on a already 300ms latency isnt a huge deal, but an extra 10-30ms latency on a 20ms base latency is a big deal.

You need to understand how tcp slowstart etc. works to realise latency affects performance on everything.

eg. before I got switched I was maxing out my upload to a german server of mine, but when I got switched to interleaved I only maxed out at about 14mbit/sec as the extra latency was enough for the send buffers to get maxed out on the latency.

square-enix.com
asus.com

You dont have to be an asian to be accessing asian based sites, japanese based companies will host in their own country often. ;)

Latency is also the reason why 3g feels slow compared to fixed line based broadband. A 2mbit adsl connection will be way faster than a 6mbit 3g connection.  The reason is although the speed capacity is higher, because of the latency the speed takes much longer to ramp up.  In addition when doing things like loading a web page small packets have to be bounced back and forth initially to start the process, with high latency these small packets take longer.

Interleaving (with sufficient recieve buffers) wont affect bulk downloading, as the speed eventually ramps up and will be fast, but otherwise almost everything else is affected.

so here I am 6am 11 days after been put on interleaved with very low error rates still no fast path.  DLM way too conservative in recovery.

What's your average daily ES count over the last week or so?

@les-70: I've implemented your suggestion with a slight twist of my own. As my ASUS RT-N66U router is set to reboot at 7:30am every day (I feel running on a freshly started router just helps the day's internet usage), I've also configured one of the digital timer plug things I've got to switch off the modem (HG612) at 7:25am and switch it back on at 7:35am. This so far seems to be working quite well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:33:21 AM by Ixel »

Balb0wa

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »

i was on fast path, for over a week, when i first got infinity, my connection was fine despite the poor line and low speeds.

Everything was snappy, you can tell the difference.

It only lasted a week though, then it went interleaved, its way to aggressive dlm, id love an option to turn it off.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

square-enix.com
asus.com

What's your average daily ES count over the last week or so?

@les-70: I've implemented your suggestion with a slight twist of my own. As my ASUS RT-N66U router is set to reboot at 7:30am every day (I feel running on a freshly started router just helps the day's internet usage), I've also configured one of the digital timer plug things I've got to switch off the modem (HG612) at 7:25am and switch it back on at 7:35am. This so far seems to be working quite well.

I have had 2 ES over past 10 days. Not 2 ES per day 2 total.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »

That's very odd. I'd have expected DLM to switch you by now then :s.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »

A DLM with good logic yes.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »

A DLM with good logic yes.

you have ten days to go and your impatience will be your downfall, and trying to fool the DLM is near to impossible and Yes Ixel thinks he's got it cracked but would say it's just pure conincidence, his line is basically faultless he would have been moved to fastpath even without the so called tweaks so I wish Ixel would do some more re-search into his findings with some Graphs to back it up with, as your are leading some members into a false path on FTTC.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:18:49 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything