Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub 5 5Ghz wireless Speed issue  (Read 2946 times)

Andy_D

BT Home Hub 5 5Ghz wireless Speed issue
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »

Strange one this.

Bought a Hh5 to solve or improve  several things over the existing openreach eci modem and plusnet supplied technicolor router.

One power plug source
Gigabit Ethernet
Dual band with 5ghz
Hopefully faster throughput

I installed it just before Christmas and all was fine for 10 days or so.

I have now been getting a slightly bizarre slowed downstream wireless rate on 5ghz only. I say bizarre because it was fine before, for 10 days, it is only a problem on my ultrabook (iPhone 5) tests ok and when I revert the ultrabook to 2.4 it returns to the 36mbit/s I normally get instead of the half speed I seem to get this week on 5ghz.

Inssider 3 shows no other 5ghz in range and no new microwave or other devices bought over Christmas which would be causing a problem unless it's the neighbours!

Something similar happened to me a few years back on an earlier Thomson router supplied by plusnet and on an earlier laptop I used at the time. In a different house to then. in the end the only fix I could find after exhausting everything and all the troubleshooting over a few weeks I cared for, was to replace with a different brand router.

The router is the bt HH5 using the built in vdsl modem and the wireless adaptor in the ultrabook is a intel centrino advanced n-6235 running latest sep 13 driver. I even rolled back to previous version but no different.

I'm stumped any ideas? Just a wireless adaptor incompatibility? Why would it only show up after over a week? Sometimes rebooting the laptop seems to restore it but it reverts. The wireless status says excellent signal 300mb/s.

Thanks

Andy_D

Re: BT Home Hub 5 5Ghz wireless Speed issue
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »

I think i "MAY" have found something.  Looking at the helpdesk screens in the router GUI the versions shows:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 05/01/14

Now that is about the time this funny wireless speed thing started happening with the laptop.

Also, a separate issue also since about the 5th of January is that the modem seems to be rebooting and re-synching about once a day. This definitely wasn't the case over the week around Christmas as I was watching it like a hawk.

Buggy firmware update - is there any way to roll back?  Can firmware updates be blocked - I didn't even know this had happened. 

BTs site still says 173.1.4 is current!

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13073

Open to other suggestions of course this is one possibility at present unproven.

ryant704

• Reg Member
Re: BT Home Hub 5 5Ghz wireless Speed issue
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »

You can reset the HomeHub so it comes with Factory settings but it will eventually update again.