Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 7 lock icon.  (Read 7141 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Windows 7 lock icon.
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »

Has anyone else ever seen this issue suddenly start to appear, in that certain items I download from the internet suddenly start appearing with a lock icon on them?  I show an example below of what I mean below. 

I cant figure out why some downloads have the lock icon (such as erics dslstats or the spreadsheet) yet others (such as the 20MB file from TBB) dont.

Its not important, Im just curious.

PS I found this which explains some of it - but not why it should suddenly appear, nor why on only on some files.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e6e585dc-c685-4e2f-8c62-db2f762ab056/lock-icon-appears-beside-file-names?forum=w7itprosecurity

I dont have any of the named progs installed, the only things Ive updated within the past few months is drivers...  and since when things have been strange/sick on my PC.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

door_bell

Re: Windows 7 lock icon.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »

thought it was a safety thing when you download from the web - I think it's to block them from running or doing stuff.

If you right click on the file, choose properties and look, you might see an 'unblock' button. Try pressing that and seeing if it gets rid of the lock.

I'm SURE it stops things from being ran by mistake when you download from the web. Say, like a script downloads 'CLICK TO SEE UPSKIRT.BAT' and you run it, it should be blocked and then warns you.

I think.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »

thought it was a safety thing when you download from the web - I think it's to block them from running or doing stuff.

If you right click on the file, choose properties and look, you might see an 'unblock' button. Try pressing that and seeing if it gets rid of the lock.

Nope, It doesnt appear to be that and theres nothing in properties that I can change.   

I do know what you are meaning though because I sometimes see that with emailed items or downloaded item which warns you before running.

These are different, I dont get any warning, just the lock icon.

It only appears to have started recently.  Ive certainly not had it happen on any of erics previous downloaded dslstats.  ???

---
PC is stuffed again anyhow, it just bombed again on me again after making the last post and Im back to the black screen issue.   :'( :'(

It was running okish for the past week but its been sick since I installed some new graphic and logitech drivers before xmas.    Looks like Im going to have to do a full format & clean install, but I was dreading that as it takes an eon.   A recovery hasnt worked.  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »

I'd never noticed it, but I have it in a few places. See: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/what-are-the-padlock-icons-on-folders-for/e4b100a7-f65d-49c6-8555-6df40d35676a
It seems to be to do with ownership/permissions.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »

>>> It seems to be to do with ownership/permissions.

This is a new feature of Windows 7 RC. If a folder's ownership is SYSTEM, the icon would appears.
To remove the icon, please change the ownership of the folders.

Gotcha - thanks HP.  That is what it is.

The files which arent padlocked are owned by "Everyone" those which are are owned by "system".   
Now to figure out why some files downloaded have everyone for perms whilst others are system   ??? 
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »

I don't know if it's relevant (probably not), but all the DSLstats archives are put together on a Linux machine.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »

I don't know if it's relevant (probably not), but all the DSLstats archives are put together on a Linux machine.

Thanks for the suggestion eric, Its never made any difference before, so I dont think this could be the reason why its started doing this.

What is weird is that Ive just noticed I can make a straight copy of the padlocked files and ownership automatically becomes everyone.  (see attached cap)
So to me its pointing at why some files Im downloading are being marked as owned by system...  because those are the ones with the padlocks. 
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »

Ownership and permissions are something that the average home/small user isn't bothered by or even aware of.
On the other hand if you've lived in the corporate IT world for any time.............................  :-X

Though why it's there on some files/folders and not others on my non-domain home W7 system I haven't a clue.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »

To add further..   googling brought me to this Bugzilla@Mozilla which seems to describe similar to what I am seeing.

Guess what... I just realised that it only happens in Firefox.   
IE and chrome are perfectly fine.

Im using Firefox 26.0,  so I specifically googled adding firefox and what do I find? 
Oh well at least I feel better now, knowing that Im not the only one and there are many more posts like this.

Thanks everyone for the replies, most appreciated...  and also to HP for the mention of ownership permissions which set me on the right track.

-----
Edited to add

It looks like the same problem is also replicated on Linux/Mac in Firefox 27.0 (beta) - linky, so a heads up to you guys too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:32:10 PM by kitz »
-----

anything