Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do Routers Get Too Old ?  (Read 2330 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Do Routers Get Too Old ?
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »

I have been having lots of drop-outs today with 'No DSL' connection then drop out again, again etc. warm re-starts, cold re-starts did no good, been having few problems for some time .
It was time to phone up 'Eclipse' and he said the logs looked ok to him and then asked how old my router was, 6 years speedtouch 536 and I told him I had been trying Netgear DG483GT and he said how old they were. pass ?, off freecycle.

He then said until I get a newer type of router he could not do anything  :o >:D   what  :no:

I notice tonight I had some more problems and it said Eclipse's DNS sever were down !.

What can I do .? Do you think it could be a hardware problem ?.

My stats.

DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 0:40:07

Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 3,328

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.5 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   29.5 / 50.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   18.0 / 7.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   4,529 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 103,550

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Do Routers Get Too Old ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:54 PM »

Old Netgear routers are prone to capacitor failure. I can't imagine others are immune.
And firmware updates "might" be better on newer kit, though Netgear do actually have a fairly good record on fixes.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:10:55 AM »

I had the original DG834 and only replaced it when I changed to FTTC in 2012. IIRC it was about 9 years old,  I may be wrong, although I do remember changing when ADSL2+ came out to  a V4 I think,  the  V1 was unstable with  2+, something to do with the chipset. That said old things can develop faults,  I take it Eclipse won't send you a new one FOC like a lot of ISPs would?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:16:19 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:43 AM »

Old Netgear routers are prone to capacitor failure. I can't imagine others are immune.
And firmware updates "might" be better on newer kit, though Netgear do actually have a fairly good record on fixes.
Yes I have replaced some of the capacitors in some of them !.
I had the original DG834 and only replaced it when I changed to FTTC in 2012. IIRC it was about 9 years old,  I may be wrong, although I do remember changing when ADSL2+ came out to  a V4 I think,  the  V1 was unstable with  2+, something to do with the chipset. That said old things can develop faults,  I take it Eclipse won't send you a new one FOC like a lot of ISPs would?
I did try to get them to send a replacement. >:D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.