Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Email forwarding.. pipex moves goalposts  (Read 5608 times)

Geovarney

• Just arrived
    • My humble myspace site
Email forwarding.. pipex moves goalposts
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »

Some time on 4th january 2008, pipex homecall changed their rules.. without any notice.. i have been a homecall customer since before pipex became involved.. and have had no trouble sending email on various  freeserve, fsmail and other accounts by using the homecall smtp server.. yet today they see fit to block any third party  emails.. below is the error message ( identifying bits XXed out)

so far no reply to my complaint about it.. but this will lose them customers faster than they can say "oh sh'ONE't".. if their own pop email and webmail actually worked properly this would ot seem such an irony...

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'XXXX@XXXXXX.freeserve.co.uk'. Subject 'Re: PC Problem', Account: 'pop.freesrve.net', Server: 'smtp.homecall.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 Envelope sender <XXXX@XXXXXX.freeserve.co.uk> rejected from 79.65.123.XXX.  Connect to Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange if you want to send with this email address.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

rumdoo

• Just arrived
Re: Email forwarding.. pipex moves goalposts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »

I'm in the same boat, since 5.30 on 5th.  Have you had any reply?  I've spent the w/e contacting them to try to sort it out; this morning the tech guy acknowledged that it is a problem at their end (ie not my settings etc) but that he was unaware of any new rule regarding blocking orange/wandoo/freeserve mail - he sounded genuine.  He said that he had already dealt with one similar case this morning and was now awaiting more!  All he did for me was point me to using my homecall email address, which I never have before.....  Told him that I would be switching providers, so I'm now looking to do just that!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

I hope they realise that there is a problem and get it sorted soon for you guys.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »

Sounds like someone clueless thinks this will reduce the volume of spam emanating from Pipex. It won't, but its a zero-cost option that looks good to clueless management types.

Geovarney

• Just arrived
    • My humble myspace site
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 04:48:09 PM »

I have still received no reply to my online query (despite a 24 hour promised response time).. but they appear to have fixed the issue as i have just sucessfully sent emails. 

Rumdoo.. you seem to have got more sense out of the tech guys than me.. When I rang they insisted it must be a problem at my end "because I use a router and not their supplied USB modem"  yeah right!

It seems like the threat of loosing customers by the bucketload hit home!

anything